Great Yarmouth Yacht Station

galleyali

We are planning to cross Breydon on Saturday 26th March (Easter Saturday) and as the tide times are relatively early we are thinking about mooring overnight at the yacht station.  With this being Good Friday though I am a little hesitant, having read some previous news about mooring lines being untied etc.  Does anybody have any experience of mooring overnight here at Easter ?

Sorry but can't really help although I have moored there at Easter in the past without mishap. Boats have, allegedly, been cast adrift but I sometime wonder if that is not down to poor knots rather than brain-deads. Moor near to the office and toilets, there is lighting and security cameras plus the ever helpful Broads Authority staff will make sure that you are moored well. Easter and I think the fair will be at the Market Place so take plenty of readies and enjoy yourselves. 

As Peter says if you moor there close by the Yacht Station you shouldn't have any troubles.

Slack Water on Friday is about 18.30, just as it's turning dark. If you get there much before then you'll need to turn about to moor into the tide but if you call the Quay Rangers (01493 842 794) as you pass the old Marina Control Tower (about 0.5 miles before the Yacht Station) they'll be there to advise and assist.

The fair is the weekend after Easter, Peter.

Whatever, have a great holiday, Alison!    ice slice     :wave

I have never heard of boats being untied at Gt Yarmouth Yacht Station, if it has happened, it must be a very rare occurrence. I have moored there on Good Friday on the section that used to be free near the bridge many moons ago, and was never cast adrift.

I am sure you will be fine there. Have a great holiday,  it ain't long now!

cheersIain

2 hours ago, BroadScot said:

I have never heard of boats being untied at Gt Yarmouth Yacht Station, if it has happened, it must be a very rare occurrence. .....................

I have, there was a well publicized case 4 years ago where a party of German Hirers woke in the night to find themselves crashing through Haven Bridge, after buying untied from Yarmouth Yacht Station by "yobs".

The boat suffered £3000 worth of damage.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/yobs_untie_mooring_ropes_and_cause_boat_crash_at_great_yarmouth_1_1357969

Sorry, slight correction - they were swept down on the Ebb through the two Vauxhall Bridges, then grounded on a mudbank before possibly hitting Haven Bridge.

I remember at the time that there was some doubt by forum posters on whether the boat had simply not been tied up properly. The Police seemed to be convinced though, and it seemed a tad unfair on the "experienced" skipper to doubt his word, (especially with no evidence....)

56 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Well now I have heard of one being cast adrift Strowie... even one though,  is one too many:norty:

cheers Iain

Absolutely Iain, an incredibly dangerous location to be cast adrift on a fast ebb whilst asleep.

If fatalities had occurred, it could be prosecuted as manslaughter (IMHO).

If I ever moored there (unlikely), the mudweight would be down as well, with a good scope of noisy chain.

Many Many Hundreds of boats moor every year at yarmouth and don't have issues (I guess). There are ideas of mooring up which helps limit the chances of being untied such as returning the lines to your boat and fastening there.. So those trying to untie would have to get on the boat to untie it. You could lower your mudweight but you would need to do this on a high tide as it will lift up if not done on a high tide (Or let all the line out perhaps).  ( Personally I've never moored there overnight and never will.. It needs a marina on breydon water really... :hardhat: ). Moor elsewere and take other transport ;) (But its worth going through and visiting the south). 

• Like 3

We have not moored there for many years .It link is no better or worse then many other places.Ie Norwich we only Moor there up to Thursday never Friday or Saturday.I would suggest  if you Moor there try to be close to the station they will help you Moor and check your ropes.What ever you decide have a good time

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Strowager said:

I have, there was a well publicized case 4 years ago where a party of German Hirers woke in the night to find themselves crashing through Haven Bridge, after buying untied from Yarmouth Yacht Station by "yobs".

The boat suffered £3000 worth of damage.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/yobs_untie_mooring_ropes_and_cause_boat_crash_at_great_yarmouth_1_1357969

Hi Strowager,

Is it as long ago as that? If I remember correctly the skipper was awoken by the movement and tried to start the engine to try and stop their travel towards the bridges, I think one of the ropes got caught in the prop.

Was it one of Richardson's boats? I think the family cut their holiday short after the experience.

Regards

Alan

Yes Alan, 2012,  and you're quite right, it was mentioned in the story in the link, the skipper didn't realise the warps were trailing in the water (in his panic in the dark at 4am I guess), and got them caught around the props.

We avoid Gya for all sorts or reasons (Last time it flooded - there was reportedly £5 worth of improvements :hardhat: )  However when we have stayed - rarely overnight - never had any problems whatsoever.  The staff are very welcoming / professional, the showers facilities are fine, Asda is close as are the shops

Edit to say, if I have to wait for the tides I generally stop overnight at Stracey Arms and go from there, early start into a morning mist / sunrise - far more enjoyable

Griff

• Like 3