BT broadband

RayandCarole

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

It as always been the situation that a new phone installation can cause delays, no exchange equipment, no lines available from the exchange to the cabinet or the cabinet to the house.

Both my father in law and Tan used to work for BT in day, Tan worked in Sales and Les worked in the drawing office.

Regards

Alan

it is often the case with  new build the phone line is put in place during the build I knew what our landline number would be before we even moved in. I  also worked for the company  back in 1900 and frozen to death -  when it was the good old GPO.-  as a "hello Girl""Strange we were known by that epithet,as it was strictly forbidden to say" hello" when working on the switchboard. In fact every type of call we could conceivably have to deal was carefully scripted and we would have to be word perfect before we were considered qualified.

regards,

Carole

19 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Wow a forum membeR 116 years old! :clap:naughty: You are still very active I see, Carole.

cheersIain

What I started to say before I got interrupted by a phone call and then timed out before I could edit was Don't be fooled by appearances Iain   Some days I feel 160 and as for being active most days my bones and muscles would much rather I wasn't!

regards,

Carole

Just now, addicted said:

What I started to say before I got interrupted by a phone call and then timed out before I could edit was Don't be fooled by appearances Iain   Some days I feel 160 and as for being active most days my bones and muscles would much rather I wasn't!

regards,

Carole

Carole, I have that feeling most days lol though not quite at the 160 years level! :naughty::norty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
35 minutes ago, jillR said:

thanks JM that doesn't look to good does it

im surprised john lewis use them.

https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/?jlp=homepage

For how much longer, I wonder.

Who is best? I'm with Talk-Talk who really are not that bad, but their customer service is a real problem, it's quick but unless you understand Mumbai English then  it can be worse than useless. Like you I have been asking around but I really do wonder if anyone is really that much better than another company, after all they all use the same infrastructure.

Recently Vodafone were offering an unlimited fibre broadband and home phone package for £25 a month with no line rental charges (which could be a game changer if the other names start loosing business to them).  Wow thats a good deal I thought. 

However, Vodafone customer service is known to be so shockingly atrocious (and i have experienced it myself) that I would not want their broadband (or any other product) if it were free!  

They ruined my credit file last year (no fault of my own).   At one point they even took it upon themselves to ignore the decision of the ombudsman (in my favour) delaying removing late payment markers from my credit file even further.  I was getting threatening letters weekly for money i didnt owe.  In the end and after 2 trips to the Ombudsman I did get it rectified.  After that fiasco i would never trust them again. 

We are with BT for home phone and fibre broadband and each year at renewal I find the best deal from whichever provider it is at the time and then go to BT with the details of it and say I will leave for the better deal if they cant offer a similar package.  They have always made an effort to give me a better deal and ita probably around 7 years since i had internet from anyone else, the security suite is good also. 

The only thing I would say about BT is the home hub for us anyway wasnt up to much,  Quite unreliable, so much that I bought my own wifi router in the end and ive not had an issue since. 

10 hours ago, jillR said:

does anyone use plusnet fibre broadband

im thinking of switching and wondered if they are ok

Hi Jill,

I am on Plusnet at home, it is partially owned by BT, we have been on this about 3 years, a cheaper service than BT and from what I can see as good if not better, it is fibre up the BT cabinet on the end of our road.

Regards

Alan

We have been with Plusnet for about 5 years. Until around 2/3 months ago, everything was fine but lately it has been steadily getting worse. Our internet (we're in the sticks so can only get basic broadband) has been very slow at times but webmail over the last few weeks has been dire. If it is by chance available, it is desperately slow and from the reviews it,would appear this is quite common. Speaking to 'customer service' (and that title is a joke), no one seems the slightest bit bothered and almost seem keen for you to leave Plusnet! If we hadn't only recently paid 12 months line rental up front, we would be off but where to I really don't know. I wouldn't recommend Plusnet to my worst enemy now. :wacko:

We've been on PlusNet standard 'copper' broadband for almost 10 years now.  Recently our sevice has been slower but I suspect the ancient router was as much to blame.  We were about as far from our exchange as possible in the village.

This week we switched to PlusNet fibre and are amazed at the speed.  Speed checker last evening said it was 31mega..whatevers.  The copper was 2 or 3 on a good day.

Sheffield based call centre with knowledgeable people.

I was recently speaking to a BT engineer who explained to me that the 'fibre' cabinets can each service 400 customers, 100 for BT, 100 for EE, 100 for Talk-Talk and 100 for every one else. In my case I'm told that it will be another two years before I stand a chance of getting fibre, no matter who I go with. Impressive, innit?!