Busy On Boat Cover.

Polly

Well, judging by the replies, that went down like a lead balloon Polly ! :)

I'm a DIY'er too when it comes to boat covers, the ready-made ones are so damn expensive.

I use an old Singer 201K and a Pfaff 130 for my canvas projects, and have picked up several "end of roll" canvas bargains off Ebay.

Very satisfying to be able to make bespoke one-off covers and other boat related projects.

singer 201k.jpg

Strowager, my Singer is 1910 and was Grandma's from new, then mine. I made my wedding dress on it and a Harris Tweed suit for Phill amongst many other things. It still works perfectly having had only two new leather belts in all that time.  

I still use it occasionally and always sew at it, although I confess to having a (relatively new) Husqvarna of a mere 25 years of age, and I put that on top of my Singer, dropped into the table. The rest of the time it is proudly on show.

Yes  cockpit tents, covers for this and that boat-wise, even a jib for Rondonay because the Genoa was too big.

Danny you cannot be serious! But if you are, pm me. :D

• Like 1

Yes, more modern computer controlled machines have many more settings, but the older heavier models could punch through a much greater thickness of material.

I bought the 201K after reading that Rolls Royce used them to stitch leather to thin plywood.

I more recently bought the Pfaff 130 secondhand, and that's also a very heavy duty machine, but with zig zag too, so much better for sails and awnings.

The strange thing is, both are pre-war machines, the Singer used by English housewives, and the Pfaff by German housewives.....

Our old mechanical Singer went to help the folks in Africa. The new (38 years ago) electric one is OK, but not as robust. I did make a windscreen cover for our last boat with it, which worked fine, although I had to lubricate the sewing thread well to get nice even stitching. I cost me £18 for the fabric and we were quoted £150+ from a local firm that does canopies. It took about an hour and a half to cut out and sew.

cheers

Steve

20 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

My sister is looking for a treddle Singer sewing machine! any ideas where she might find one and for how much?

Both of mine came via Ebay, and there's always plenty on there.

My (non treadle) 201K was £10, and the Pfaff was £100  (Vorsprung Durch Technik) :)

The only problem with a treadle machine will be that most are collect only, because of the bulk as well as the inevitable weight.  So you'll need to filter your ebay search by "nearest first".  Plenty of them seem to go for under £50.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=singer+treadle+sewing+machine&_sacat=0&_oac=1