Broads Lifeboat Out Yesterday At Horning

HemsbyPie

Thursday 7th April 2016

HEMSBY BROADS LIFEBOAT - callout

Paged by Humber Coastguard at 12:12hrs after reports of an injured person at Horning

Hemsby Broads Lifeboat went to the assistance of an injured casualty from his boat on a mooring island in Horning. The casualty was transported to the quayside by the Broads Lifeboat and stretchered off into the Swan Inn for shelter from the worsening weather. Once the casualty was stabilised and made comfortable Happisburgh Mobile transported the casualty to hospital.

Also on scene were Happisburgh CRT, Mundesley CRT and the Broads Authority patrol launch

Broads Lifeboat returned to station and were back on service at 16:00hrs

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/hemsby_lifeboat_on_scene_at_horning_injury_alert_1_4487456?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, marshman said:

Still the boys love a "shout"!!!

It's quite difficult not to bite at this comment (but then I'm guessing that was your intention)

So someone calls 999 asks for Coastguard, and in turn Coastguard page the lifeboat or any other asset they may require. The local CRT and lifeboats get absolutely no say about when they are paged.

Yes, the crews (or "boys" as you put it) do like a shout (otherwise they wouldn't volunteer) but they never self-launch, only when expressly asked to by the emergency services.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Polly said:

I asked about a defibrillator, because it sounded like heart. There is one at The Maltsters we raised money towards, and one I think, at Cox's Boatyard, just wondered where else they are, it's good to know.

I believe Wroxham first responders (who cover Horning) also have one? 

Well done to all involved.

Out of interest, Hemsby are you guys mobile and launch as and when or are you based near the river and just launch and motor as required? Just curious of your response times. We've seen you on a shout above potter so I guess potter to horning (even at speed is a good 15 - 20 mins?).

11 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Well done to all involved.

Out of interest, Hemsby are you guys mobile and launch as and when or are you based near the river and just launch and motor as required? Just curious of your response times. We've seen you on a shout above potter so I guess potter to horning (even at speed is a good 15 - 20 mins?).

We keep all our equipment at our base in Hemsby and travel to the launch point. Response times are usually fairly sharpish (considering the size of the broads) and the boat is probably one of the fastest on the broads (sometime it's quicker to launch and use the rivers to get there)

And potter to Horning is 6 miles (by car) so maybe 10 minutes tops (pulling the boat)

• Like 3

@HemsbyPie: If I may use this thread to ask a question:

I hope I would never need to call upon your services in a time of distress, but should such an occurrence be needed what information would you most likely need (or like) to help you? 

Sometimes It is not obvious where you are on the river, and no help to try and describe this over the phone to the emergency services you can see a mill in in the distance and are somewhere on the River Ant for example.

With smart phones being carried by many,  it is possible to provide coordinates in latitude and longitude but if this was provided to the operator on phone, would this be passed to you?

It has drawn my attention to having some kind of 'drill' or 'quick reference' card on board to know what to ask for, and what i could provide to help you in your job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

@HemsbyPie: If I may use this thread to ask a question:

I hope I would never need to call upon your services in a time of distress, but should such an occurrence be needed what information would you most likely need (or like) to help you? 

Sometimes It is not obvious where you are on the river, and no help to try and describe this over the phone to the emergency services you can see a mill in in the distance and are somewhere on the River Ant for example.

With smart phones being carried by many,  it is possible to provide coordinates in latitude and longitude but if this was provided to the operator on phone, would this be passed to you?

It has drawn my attention to having some kind of 'drill' or 'quick reference' card on board to know what to ask for, and what i could provide to help you in your job.

OS maps are fairly cheap (on offer at Tescos at the moment) and they are fairly easy to use. There is also the OS app you could download which gives you your grid reference (3G permitting). Or a local land mark or a "traveling from/to" description - it all helps and all gets passed on. 

2 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Good to hear you are about and thanks for your time and service. Hopefully we will never need your service. cheers 

I was nice and warm sat behind my desk at work watching it on the Horning webcam whilst eating my lunch but the guys done a great job by all accounts!!

There is a defib at Horning, it is situated at the top of Mill Loke on a wall on the right as you go up.

LR, most GPS have the grid reference displayed, plus if you are near a BA mooring the grid ref is displayed on the name plate of the sign.   

Thanks Andy, I think a list of where these machines are installed would be good to have. 

In an emergency they can be accessed and used by anyone whilst waiting for first responders to arrive.  Ideally there should be one at every pub/boatyard, they save lives. 

• Like 2