Gaff Jaws

4 hours ago, Dragonsong said:

Hi ,

The gaff jaws of Dragonsong need re-lining with leather,unfortunately Martham boats no longer have anybody able to do this.

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone able to do this ?

John

Hello John,

Do you have a picture of your gaff jaws?

Is it one of the fully covered in leather or the type that is just covered on the inner surface?

Regards

Alan

Thanks for the various ideas.

Alan . The jaws are wooden and were previously lined just on the inside with a canvas like material stuck on with impact adhesive .

Polly. I will have a look at that website,thanks. I have looked at some of the classic boat sites. There seem to be a lot of examples of the leather being soaked and bound to the jaws and then nailed on with copper nails,which maybe easier than sewing . 

John

• Like 1

We used to use the rawhide dog chews on shield edges when I did viking re-enactment, soak it stretch it, tack it on, let it dry and it hardens like iron, used to wear well and take sword blows a treat.

If you damp leather it will take a shape, and then stretch it over, punch holes at the seams and lace it up using strong thread like a pair of boots. let it dry and it will shrink tighter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dragonsong said:

Thanks for the various ideas.

Alan . The jaws are wooden and were previously lined just on the inside with a canvas like material stuck on with impact adhesive .

Polly. I will have a look at that website,thanks. I have looked at some of the classic boat sites. There seem to be a lot of examples of the leather being soaked and bound to the jaws and then nailed on with copper nails,which maybe easier than sewing . 

John

Hi John,

Your last paragraph is why I suggested an upholster, pictures I have seen, show results not that dissimilar to that of an old office chair.

Regards

Alan   

Morning ,

I did a search for Ashby Hall  and found a facebook page from 2012 all about a closing down sale. The link posted by JanetAnne is listed under "health and beauty" so I suspect there has been a change of use !

thanks again for all your comments.

John

7 minutes ago, springsong said:

There is a saddler or at least there was on the Horizon estate at Catfield, nice chap and very

reasonable. I have used him myself. Long way from West Yorks though. Let me know if you are interested and I will go have a look see. 

I believe he has now gone or at least downsized the unit he was in....... and what is a "Gaff Jaws" is it a sailey term?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

I believe he has now gone or at least downsized the unit he was in....... and what is a "Gaff Jaws" is it a sailey term?

Indeed it is. The 'Gaff' is the spar at the top of the main sail in a traditional rig, and the 'jaws ' are the part at the end nearest the mast which keeps it located

GaffJaws1.jpg

29 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Indeed it is. The 'Gaff' is the spar at the top of the main sail in a traditional rig, and the 'jaws ' are the part at the end nearest the mast which keeps it located

GaffJaws1.jpg

All is now clear, may thanks........ getting ejumicated on sailies I am.:bow

Poppy thanks for explaining that ,I doubt my IT skills would be up to including diagrams.

Barry,thanks for the kind offer . I am down next week so I will have a run out to Catfield and see if I can find them. It has just dawned on me that I may have had a brief conversation with you soon after Springsong went back in the water . You were moored in the dyke alongsideone of the big yachts( America etc..) I followed the restoration on another forum ,fascinating !! 

John