Up North

wooster

March, April and October up north then May to September down south. That's the way we like to do it. Mooring in the north it does mean a Breydon crossing each time but that's all part of the trip.

We have moored overnight at Norwich YS countless times but always avoided Friday/Saturday nights. I love waking in the morning and pulling the curtains back to a view of the cathedral. It can be noisy with the traffic but even that seems to quieten down late in the evening. I really like Norwich, lovely atmosphere and interesting and varied shops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

can be noisy with the traffic but even that seems to quieten down late in the evening. 

What noise? Oh the workers going to work!:naughty:  Remember you are on holiday! So a little traffic noise should not bother you, hopefully.

cheersIain

7 minutes ago, wooster said:

Thank you all most kindly. Are they strict about the "leave by 10am" rule, do you know?

They were strict two years ago....suppose it may depend which BA Ranger is on duty.

On 06/05/2016 at 11:29 PM, wooster said:

Hi Roy.  This is the first time we will have been on board since the engine was replaced. I'm glad to hear it's brought about an increase in power. I've been through Breydon quite a lot of times but not for some years and I've pretty much forgotten what it's like. Looking forward to seeing the North too. It's been a long time.

I will try and leave Lightning in suitable condition for you :)

I think what Roy means is please look after our boat lolol. Now we have 3 members of the Lightning syndicate on the forum. Looks like it`s a takeover bid lol.

On 30/04/2016 at 2:50 PM, Matt said:

Same week as us :-)

we we also intend to cross to the North (from Brundall) on the Sunday.

However I think you have the low tide time for the Saturday. If you are crossing on the Sunday aim for about 11am for Yarmouth.

not sure where we will overnight on the Saturday but give us a wave if you see us!

Probably coming back South Friday PM.

I think it would be rather nice to see Thunder and Lightning cruising in convoy, or should that be armada, albeit a small one?.

About 3 years back, we were on Maffetts Kingfisher, and saw both Thunder and Lightning moored close to eachother on several occaisions. Everytime we`re on Lightning, we NEVER see Thunder around.

First time we were on Lightning we met up with Thunder. Our paths crossed quite a lot that week. It was quite helpful as we got lots of tips on our first week. Its always nice to see her. 

As Alan knows, we're also members of Ranworth Breeze syndicate and we're always hoping to see the other boat whichever one we're on. Apart from the AGM we don't get the chance to speak with other members so it's nice if it happens. Mind you its rare. Last year, we met up with some people from Southern Crusade at Rockland and it was good to exchange info about respective boats :)

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 1:29 PM, wooster said:

Hi everyone. We have a week on the Broads planned for the week of 28th May ( this is half term week ) and we intend making the trip to the North. We haven't done this for around 10 years so are a bit rusty and looking for advice. We will be leaving from Brundall.

I notice the low tide at Yarmouth is about 8.43 am on the Sunday and so we intend to stay at Reedham the Saturday night and leave there about 7.45am. This should get us at Yarmouth around 30 mins after slack water ( ie 1.5 hours after low tide ) I reckon we should be at Acle around 11am all being well.

After that we're not sure. I was considering up to Stalham and mooring somewhere off Barton Broad. The name of the place escapes me. We might then potter around there before cruising up to Wroxham or Horning and maybe meandering down to Ranworth on the way back before returning to Brundall later in the week.

Do you have any suggestions as to places in addition to my suggestions above? Are the Northern broads likely to be very busy at this time of year? I had thought that despite it being half-term with it being early in the season and before fishing starts it might be quieter. As I say it's been about 10 years since I was last up there though so if I'm wrong let me know.

Any recommendations or advice gratefully received.

Like Matt says best to hit GtY at 11:00 for LWS and so the knock on likely  means Acle around  13:00 i/o 11:00.   Not being pedantic, but just that  if you intended to stop for lunch at the Bridge Inn then its quite likely to be pretty busy by then especially for the May bank hol.