Up North

wooster

Ah, well that explains it!!  Yes, each to their own - but I did have hiring in mind - if you get out onto the Broads more frequently, then the trip is less of an issue; I remember a trip South years ago with my Dad and my Uncle, when we hired from Whelptons. My Uncle was determined to be at Oulton for the Power Boat racing and we seemed to be chugging for most of the week to achieve the aim! Not my thing really :(

I have only ever done it sailing BTW - engine only through Yarmouth and sails back up at the dolphins... I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but if I only had a week, I wouldn't bother. Mind you, I can fully understand why those in the South want to come up to the beautiful North ;)  :)

On 03/05/2016 at 5:43 PM, wooster said:

I recall coming from the North and finding the biggest problem was the flow of the Bure going past the Yacht station. Gave me the heeby-jeebies :shocked

A couple of years ago we passed through Yarmouth on Lightning at LWS (when the Bure is still running off) and struggled against the current. The next trip we left it until 30 minutes after LWS and found it easier (although it meant punching the incoming tide a little across Breydon) .

This spring Lightning had a new 55hp Volvo engine (the original was a 42hp Perkins) and the passage at LWS wasn't a problem.

We are on Lightning the week after you so have a good trip.

Roy

I tried to cross a little early once and ended up punching the ebb heading back North, in an auxiliary yacht... Horrible experience!  We made very slow progress and struggled to keep our line... eased to the wall at Yarmouth and tied up until the slack arrived!

4 hours ago, webntweb said:

A couple of years ago we passed through Yarmouth on Lightning at LWS (when the Bure is still running off) and struggled against the current. The next trip we left it until 30 minutes after LWS and found it easier (although it meant punching the incoming tide a little across Breydon) .

This spring Lightning had a new 55hp Volvo engine (the original was a 42hp Perkins) and the passage at LWS wasn't a problem.

We are on Lightning the week after you so have a good trip.

Roy

Hi Roy.  This is the first time we will have been on board since the engine was replaced. I'm glad to hear it's brought about an increase in power. I've been through Breydon quite a lot of times but not for some years and I've pretty much forgotten what it's like. Looking forward to seeing the North too. It's been a long time.

I will try and leave Lightning in suitable condition for you :)

I have to admit I was not a fan of 'darn sarf'. Last trip down in the pouring rain, a few years ago now, I was struck by the number of greened, mired,apparently abandoned boats festering at their moorings along the way. One boat's name in particular caught my eye and warranted a better look after we moored at Beccles Yacht Station. Closer inspection of the boat revealed it was probably owned by a Star Wars fan. It's name turned out to be 'TWELVE  PARSECS', the time it took the Millennium Falcon to do the Kessel Run, instead of the fawlty-esque 'TWE E   A RSE' that peeped from beneath the slime and caused me to initially raise an eyebrow. Coated in slime, algae and fungi the small vessel would be more at home in the miasmas and swamps of Dagobah than the Waveney. The whole of the Southern Broads seemed to have an air of decay and dereliction. They were almost oppressive.

Returning to our boat my better half was anxious to leave as a group of teenagers had occupied the grass behind our boat and proceeded to cook up something with the aid of a metal spoon, tin foil, cigarette lighter and syringe. Being too late in the evening to consider travelling elsewhere we grabbed a few things and headed into town...passing the coppers that had been called by the Yacht Station on our way out.

In Beccles we found something to do that lifted the feeling of gloom and oppression we had been experiencing ever since crossing from North to South. My better half has more than a passing interest in 'quaint' houses we come across. Now I'm not saying she's nosey...I wouldn't dare...but there have been the odd occasions when she has pondered 'do you think they'd mind if I asked to have a look around?'. Before we had left for Norfolk my cousin had sent me a book he thought I might find interesting. Pevsner's Architectural Guide for Suffolk. I'd popped the hefty book in my rucksack with my maps and while the other half was doing a spot of shopping with the kids I dipped into it. Flipping the pages to the Beccles entry I found detailed descriptions of the interiors of some of the older buildings in the town.
"This house has a sixteenth century  frieze along the hall." I told the other half as we passed one building.
"How do you know that?" asked the other half.
"Say's so in this book." I replied as the book was snatched out of my hands.
"Ooh this one still has all the original oak panelling, where is it?" asked the other half as I opened my OS map.

As we spent several hours roaming the streets of Beccles the sun made a last valiant effort to illuminate proceedings before setting. Back at the yacht station the police had removed the 'smackheads' and the Yacht Station master was making sure boaters were OK and settled. We were rudely awakened in the night by teenagers jumping from boat cabin roof to boat cabin roof. Broads Authority staff and police were soon on the scene but I could not get back to sleep. As soon as the sun came up we set off back for the North, BA rangers having advised on tide times and what time to cross Breydon.

Now I have been told that things do not match our experience on the South side and the BA have removed many of the mired boats that seemed to litter the banks. It may be that the weather added to the general feeling of gloom...the sun came out when we crossed Breydon and got back north. I do plan to visit the South in the future...take RT back to where her keel was laid in Norwich for a visit...but I much prefer the North, be it ever so crowded on occasion.Of course I'm willing to stand corrected and preferences are an individual thing...and do change.

I have added to my collection of Pevsner's Architectural Guides which do not have as many entries on the North side I noted.

• Like 1

Likewise Polly, but we really mustn't promote above that low bridge. Went to the unmentionable pub last Sunday, it was heaving plus and the pub, let alone the staff, quite simply could not cope. The car park & moorings were stuffed. We went up to the nearby Wherry & had an excellent meal, a greatly underrated pub by the general boating fraternity. Unmentionable pub as in too darned popular by far, not because the landlord is iffy or anything!

Re Yarmouth, agreed. A night at Berney is good, if you don't mind being woken by the dawn chorus, mooing cows and rampant bulls.

• Like 3

We like Beccles, the moorings in the Yacht Station are good, still waiting for the proposed new toilet block (that will not be open to the general public).

The walk up to Beccles is a bit of a drag, but with the interesting old buildings with their Dutch style gables to take your mind off the walk up the slight hill. The town itself is a delight, plenty of variation of shops with a few eateries, pubs, greengrocers and  sowing shop for Tan.

The Yacht Station staff are very good there and accommodating.

I love the journey into Beccles and know we are close once we see the disused railway bridge pillars.

Regards

Alan   

I too have always enjoyed my trips to Beccles, but, having always hired boats that will pass the old road bridge, the streach of river that follows is not to be missed if you do venture beyond that said bridge. The pontoon moorings futher down is actually the shortest way into the town, and if the pool is still open in season you can go and do your 40 lengths before lunch!

However, IF you can go beyond the bridge, you must carry on to the place I wont mention, because its suppose to be a secret for some, its called.......Th........ inn and a must go to see if on the south broads. 

I have always enjoyed my trips south, its nice to get away from the M25 that is the St Bennets Straight! There are some very nice areas as you cruise the south,  Brammerton is a perfect example, the only draw back is the overstay by the big private boats on the 24 hour mooring areas. How do they get away with it?

We all have our favourite spots on the Broads, me, I love them all. I just hope I will get to see them again soon.

cheersIain

• Like 1

According to Hoseasons, the Spring Bank week from the Saturday is nearly sold out already. Just 18 cruisers remaining for hire and still 3 weeks to to so yes it will be busy. Could be as busy as in August when typically all boats are out. Clearly with terrorism in Egypt, Turkey, Tunisia and associated events in southern Greece, which have resulted in higher pricing in the rest of the Med,  this really is going to be the year of the stay-cation for many.

Regards

David

• Like 2

I'm now wondering if we should just stay in the relative peace of the Southern waters. We might just do that. If we do we will perhaps give Norwich yacht station a go. Is it now regarded as safe and fairly pleasant or should I look elsewhere? 

We liked the run into Norwich, but could not understand the no mooring signes in front of the old warehouses (now I assume converted flats) when there were the old mooring rings set into paving.  

The pictures of the mooring at the Yacht Station with the tree lined roads look idyllic, we went past the yacht station to turn round, which was tight but we managed, we were going to stop overnight but it was quite noisy even in the middle of the afternoon. We went back to Bramerton Common and a walk up to the pub, Tan likes to look out for the rabbits which are usually on the green at dusk and early in the morning. If you are lucky there is also a chance of seeing kingfishers in the bushes opposite the moorings.

Regards

Alan   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

They want you berth where they can get yer money!

Griff

True dat!

I read a fairly damning review of holidaying on the Broads on Tripadvisor including an unfavourable comparison with boating holidays elsewhere. Although I love the Broads very much, the shortcomings he described were pretty familiar and mainly concerned the pursuit of getting every possible penny from the boater. Moorings were  pretty high on his list ;)

I was pretty amazed on my return a few years back by the extent to which moorings once freely available had disappeared and where fees were now applicable. Seems shortsighted to me.

• Like 2

It is a shame, but putting that aside, we're still not sure whether to venture up north or not. I'm quite keen but there again don't want the hassle of all the bustle, shortage of moorings, etc We might give Norwich a go. I can only recall staying there once and that was about 27 years ago on my Norman 20 so I imagine it has changed a fair bit :)

1 hour ago, wooster said:

I can only recall staying there once and that was about 27 years ago on my Norman 20 so I imagine it has changed a fair bit :)

Yup, the mooring fees are dearer:naughty: but, do go, take a walk over the Bishopsgate bridge, turn left and enjoy a nice stroll into the city,stopping at Pulls Ferry for a photo opportunity. As you move forward, you have the views of the cathedral, and the grounds.

Yes, go to the Fine city that is Norwich.:)

cheersIain

We have visited Norwich and it's a lovely City, especially walking up from the Yacht Station. Not that we had arrived by boat so if we hire on the south side again it's on the list of places to cruise to.

Both the north and the south have their charms, it depends what you want and what time of year you're there really. There are plenty of moorings that you don't have to pay for but if you're there high season then being prepared to pay on occasion gives you more choice and flexibility.

Up to now we've simply hired on whichever side we've wanted to cruise rather than bothering with crossing Breydon Water. But the demise of boatyards on the south means we may go for 10 days next year rather then a week and make the crossing. 

When we went in March we were able to cruise for longer knowing we would get moored up easily in most places. When we go back in June we'll probably aim to leave our moorings quite early and then wherever we stop for lunch we may stay - hubby can then fish all afternoon. We could move on again later if we wanted to given the long daylight hours. 

What I'm really saying is that whenever you go, and whichever side of the Broads you choose, there's a lot you can do but it just helps if you're prepared to be a little bit flexible and go with the flow.

• Like 3