Metric Only

fishtone

Called in the boat chandlers in Wroxham (you know the one where you are always greeted with a smile) for 4ft of plastic piping. Told that it has to be metric because the till doesn't recognise imperial measurement. Right then I will have one and a half metres. No you can have one or two as till wont recognise half a metre. The wonders of modern technology or someone doesn't know that half a metre is 0.5.

• Like 7

Service with a smile it is ;)  despite which we still visit there often... I really do like the place and where possible, am happy to support local trade... Our last little spree saw us looking for sundry small-ish items and we were not exactly made to feel welcome at first! However, when we went upstairs to spend a much larger sum on clothing, we were treated royally!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fishtone said:

Called in the boat chandlers in Wroxham (you know the one where you are always greeted with a smile) for 4ft of plastic piping. Told that it has to be metric because the till doesn't recognise imperial measurement. Right then I will have one and a half metres. No you can have one or two as till wont recognise half a metre. The wonders of modern technology or someone doesn't know that half a metre is 0.5.

125cm?

1250mm?

If the till doesn't accept those then ask for a metre of metre wide pipe and see what they claim the till says to that. If they claim they can order it in for you ask them what pipe wall thickness the till will let you have. 

• Like 1

The proprietor is famously miserable but despite that the locals fondly refer to his shop as Nearest & Dearest and the staff are not afraid to offer good discounts. Personally I would have asked for 1.24m of pipe. I've always been treated well there.

• Like 1

To be fair they don't grin at me but they do generally know what they are selling and will affably offer cheaper alternative options on occasion. For my part I count that as better service than your average grinbot can offer.

• Like 1

Hi Grendal, it was 3/4 inch pipe I was after . Its ok to  ask for diameter in imperial but not length. I use this shop a lot as it is just round corner from boat. I have no issues with the shop,  just a technical point I thought I would raise.

19 hours ago, fishtone said:

You could by it online cheaper, mind you you, will probably find you can only get it by the metre, same as rope.:party:

I have been a customer since the gentleman concerned was at the Potter Heigham branch (now the reception area of Woods). I don't think he is the proprietor but, although the 'non smiling' comments are not unfair, he actually does know what's what!

What always surprises us is just how many staff they seem to have around! Prices are not always cheap, but they do keep quite a good stock of those essential bits and bobs; a wide variety of bits of string and will order in if needed.