Tick Warning

Poppy

Sorry but to emphasis a tick bite can have serious consequences not a joking matter. If walking in long grass do not wear shorts ideally wear long trousers and put your socks over the bottoms of the hems. Lymms disease is serious!

• Like 1

Lyme Disease, presuming you meant that and it was a typo!

The thing about Lyme is it can lie dormant in your body for many years before it decides to start causing all sorts of havoc. 

I was bitten in Germany where Lyme was/is endemic in the early 90s.  I was given antibiotics to take at the time and have since tested negative for Lyme but I have read a reliable Lyme test is problematic and there are often false results.

If you do get bitten I'm not sure what the current advice is but look out for a red ring around the bite and if you have to remove the insect yourself make sure you get the body and head together and don't leave anything behind.  

Don't try to burn one off as this can cause them to vomit whatever nasties they may be carrying into your system.