New Season

wooster

I'm guessing all you active anglers will be getting ready for tomorrow. I'm quite envious. My tendonitis is playing up these days and fishing is another pleasure to bite the dust. The Norfolk rivers are surely the best in the country for coarse. I envy you residents having access to that fishing on your doorstep. Tight lines to everyone! :wave

• Like 3

Well good luck to you both. My tendonits is in my hands and it's pretty inconvenient for a lot of things. I'm getting a bit twitchy not being able to pursue that most relaxing of pastimes. I've never been any "good" at it but few things in life have given me so much pleasure over the years. I'm hoping I will get enough respite to give it a go a few times later this season.

• Like 2

On 15 June 2016 at 10:35 AM, wooster said:

I've never been any "good" at it but few things in life have given me so much pleasure over the years. I'm hoping I will get enough respite to give it a go a few times later this season.

Hi Wooster, I hope you get a chance to fish sometime this year. I'm one for watching people fish and I've learnt all I know from friends and over the last 3 years by watching my father in law. He has things which make it hard for him to get fishing but he's bloody determined to go this year.

My advice for whilst you can't fish is to pass any tips and experiences/stories from your fishing on through the forum, as I'm sure we'd all love to hear the stories.

And keep an eye out for everyone else's tales as they tend to get funny and elaborate on here.

P.s Fish3Here's my first fish of the season to get things going.

Caught on a bit of bread at brundall 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Wilfuzz. Thanks for the thought but it's not really just the reeling that does it. Holding the rod is a pain and although I could just leave it in rests it's pretty hard not to strain a bit handling equipment. I'm hoping it will get better enough to let me out this season.

I'm not despairing about it. Just having to be cautious at the moment :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wooster said:

Hi Wilfuzz. Thanks for the thought but it's not really just the reeling that does it. Holding the rod is a pain and although I could just leave it in rests it's pretty hard not to strain a bit handling equipment. I'm hoping it will get better enough to let me out this season.

I'm not despairing about it. Just having to be cautious at the moment :)

take a seat alongside someone who is fishing have a G & T in hand, and share the experience.....

• Like 5

Fish

Fished the Bure at Hoveton yesterday. Good quality roach but bites well spaced out. Looks a lot of fine debris in the water from the heavy rain. Should be a good season once this clears.A friend fished Belaugh and said same thing,nice size fish but bites slow.

Had a good one today. Little twitches on the rod tip as I was busy teaching my nephew how to cast out. I glanced at the rod and brushed it off as being the wind. As I continued giving the nephew tips (as if I knew what I was on about) he turned and said you've got a fish. Still little twitches so I decided to let him reel in off chance of their being a tiddler on the hook. 

he started off well then began struggling to reel in so I took over.

Heres what we reeled in.image.jpeg I then attempted to show him how to use a discorger and after failing I asked a nearby fisherman for help. He also couldn't help so said we'll have to pull it and hope for the best :shocked

image.jpeg Turns out the we'd actually hooked a tiddler which attracted the attention of a greedy fish on the way in which swallowed the fish which had the hook in its mouth.

Overall we caught 7 fish today and the best part is my nephew is now hooked on fishing :)

• Like 2

Very good JM, thank you.  Can be a bu@@er to get out sometimes, particularly if swallowed deeply.  The 'Slammo' looks worth having a go with.  We always have plenty of disgorgers and some forceps lying around in different places so we are ready to unhook quickly.  

On 15/06/2016 at 0:26 AM, wooster said:

I'm guessing all you active anglers will be getting ready for tomorrow. I'm quite envious. My tendonitis is playing up these days and fishing is another pleasure to bite the dust. The Norfolk rivers are surely the best in the country for coarse. I envy you residents having access to that fishing on your doorstep. Tight lines to everyone! :wave

Hi William,  nice to meet you and Di on Saturday.  I`l be taking a couple of 10ft float rods and a small tackle box on saturday.  I`m hoping the weather will buck up for next week. We actually had the heating on down here in not so sunny Dorset, but today was shorts weather in the afternoon. Wierd.  Hope your hands improve soon William .

Best wishes to you and Di......................... Neil.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2016 at 1:09 AM, Liberty said:

Very good JM, thank you.  Can be a bu@@er to get out sometimes, particularly if swallowed deeply.  The 'Slammo' looks worth having a go with.  We always have plenty of disgorgers and some forceps lying around in different places so we are ready to unhook quickly.  

The first time I used a Slammo I thought 'no way' but, surprise surprise, it's blessed brilliant, even on very small and greedy perch.

• Like 3

On 20/06/2016 at 11:10 PM, JennyMorgan said:

The first time I used a Slammo I thought 'no way' but, surprise surprise, it's blessed brilliant, even on very small and greedy perch.

What`s "slammo"?.

I never bother with fancy baits, all i ever use is sweetcorn or bread. In recent years, bread has come out tops I stopped using maggots for two reason, a,  i got fed up with catching small eels, and b,  on one occaision, we had moggots crawling around the boat after the bait box somehow overnite got opened, and the little sods got out?.

I`m only taking 2 10ft 3 piece float rods, and a small tackle box with assorted floats, shot and hooks.  I have`nt been fishing down here for a couple of years or more, so am pretty much out of practice, so i`m not expecting much sport.  Still be nice to have plenty of daylight in the evenings once moored up and do some fishing, but not if it`s raining.  Sorry to admit it, but i`m a fair weather angler, and part time at that too.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

See: 

A disgorger.

I use one like you get free with "Anglers Mail", and seeing as they give them out every month, i`ve got loads, and all different sizes. I`ve also got a pair of forceps for those tricky ones that the fish take a long way down.

I always carry forceps, disgorgers both "traditional" in a variety of sizes and a slammo. The best thing to do is keep a good rig sensitive to bites and keep an eye on it so you can strike before the bait is taken down. Not always easy.

If in doubt I was always taught to cut the line as near to the mouth as possible and the hook would eventually either come out or rust. Not sure if this is wishful thinking mind you! I do it because I feel the chances of damaging the fish by trying to force a deep hook out that you can't really get to grips with are high.