Windows 10 Last Chance

3 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

I have W10 on my laptop and W7 here on my PC.... my great problem is that I just can't, even after 6 months, edit and print photographs using the W10 "Pictures" app as easily or as well.

I've also got lots of programmes here on W7 that I no longer have the installation discs for... will they still be there if I go over to W10?

I don't know how long it would take me to download it Iain. I've just checked my download speed at 72 Mbps on the BTW Performance Test.

HI John you have no worries if you upgrade all your other software will be fine , I am not joking if I say I must have upgraded around 40 other computers for different people and no problems so far , good luck cheers ...

• Like 1

I am on 10 now as well. My pooter was in for a service I was on  7 ultimate which I was happy with. I asked about 10 and Simon my pooter wizz said "the best product Windows have ever made" so I went with it. Seems simple enough and it needs to be simple for me to work it.

• Like 1

Sorry to ask again but:

"Do I do it from the "Upgrade" thingee which keeps appearing on my PC or from a Free Download on Microsoft website?

Which one has the talking lady on it, please? (When I upgraded this laptop from W8 it didn't have her and I had to go back to W8 and get the W10 directly from Microsoft)."

I just clicked the icon on the taskbar when I upgraded to W10. I suspect you can gag the woman, at some point. No, not you Gracie:norty:

Its that long ago, John, I cannot remember, sorry. Maybe Geoffrey can enlighten you.

cheersIain

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Sorry to ask again but:

"Do I do it from the "Upgrade" thingee which keeps appearing on my PC or from a Free Download on Microsoft website?

Which one has the talking lady on it, please? (When I upgraded this laptop from W8 it didn't have her and I had to go back to W8 and get the W10 directly from Microsoft)."

Hi John if there is a icon in your task bar just click it and follow the instructions if not go to google and type in upgrade to windows 10 and take it from there any problems I would be happy to help you cheers ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

What I am asking is whether to use the link you quote above or the upgrade button on my PC?

Hi John , did you go a head and do the upgrade , if so just wanted to know how you got on , I don't think you would have to many problems after all you know what your doing , anyway let me know how it went and what you think John cheers mate ...

Good Morning, Geoffrey.

Yes I finally did yesterday afternoon and I'm using it now. I used your link and started it. I then went off to the kitchen and had a glass with Mary-Jane and when I came back it was done.

I only wish that my laptop had W7 installed when I bought it but it had W8; so I shall probably be using this PC most of the time now as I like so many of the things that have come over from W7.

Anyway, many thanks to everyone for their advice and to you for yours.   cheers

5 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Good Morning, Geoffrey.

Yes I finally did yesterday afternoon and I'm using it now. I used your link and started it. I then went off to the kitchen and had a glass with Mary-Jane and when I came back it was done.

I only wish that my laptop had W7 installed when I bought it but it had W8; so I shall probably be using this PC most of the time now as I like so many of the things that have come over from W7.

Anyway, many thanks to everyone for their advice and to you for yours.   cheers

Fantastic John glad it all went well and great that your happy with it that is all that matters by the was you can upgrade your windows 8 laptop if you fancy that but that's up to you enjoy your weekend and all the best cheers ...

21 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I upgraded from windows 7 last night, so far so good, just got to get used to it, where stuff is and what is not needed.

Regards

Alan

Good news Alan I hope you are pleased with it , the good thing about Windows 10 being app based if there is stuff you don't need at the moment just uninstall them the app stays there so if you wish to use it in the future you just re install it so it's really good ...

11 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

I was pleased with w10 and needing a new phone got 1 with windows 10 on.

Don't know if it was the phone or not but it was rubbish! Now lies in a draw and back to android.

Has anybody else tried the phone version?

paul

Hi Paul I did like the idea of having a Windows phone but have not tried one yet so interesting you say they are not very good , what were some of the problems ?

Hi Cat,

The whole thing just seemed disjointed and in need of massive user input to develop it further.

Example to set a ring tone to a contact.

The tone has to be put on the cloud before it could be ascribed to an individual contact! Why?

The base phone was a Nokia and have never liked them.

Look on W10 phone as your worst W8 nightmare.

paul

Hate it with a vengeance. Experienced massive problems with it installing over a Windows 8 installation (on a new PC) and will never install it on my main development and business machine; I simply could not risk the upheaval of things not working without intervention.  

Have it on a new laptop too and experienced major problems out of the box too; especially with running outlook. 

The upgraded machine needed upgrading two or three times to get the bloody thing to work. Took me a whole day to be able to log into it. 

I am sticking with the best for quote some time yet; Windows 7. The lure of FREE was not worth it for me, even on a new, out of the box machine. 

Love my Macbook.  I open it, it works.  It updates automatically, I don't notice.  I ask it to do something, it does it.  No dramas,  no complications, no issues.

It just works every single time.  Once you've had Mac, there's no going back.  I'll use Windows at work (no choice) and happily leave it there.

• Like 1

I've used both windows & mac ...... purely based on value for money I choose windows.

Perhaps some of the windows issues stem from the fact that it is used on computers from multiple manufacturers from the very cheap to moderately expensive.

As far as I am aware the mac os only runs on apple (expensive) hardware so I would expect a  higher level of customer satisfaction in line with the higher cost of ownership.

• Like 1

based on value for money I choose Lubuntu - fast free and works, once a week it asks if I want to update, which it does in the background. Even if it wants to reboot, that only takes about 20 seconds, added bonus was that I was given the laptop free as it was too slow on XP, and it needed a new battery. last night I rebooted my win10 machine, and it took 30 minutes to reboot, sort out updates and come back online, and even then told me some of the updates had failed.

My only issue with ubuntu is the same one I have with Mac - neither run my CAD software.

other than that I need to play with one of my old desktop machines to create a file server (prior to upgrading an old machine that is currently a file server to ubuntu.