Running Engines At Moorings

vanessan

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Oh my God.

WD40 is an easing oil not a lubricant but that is a side issue.

Actually WD40 IS not an easing oil, although it does often work that way,  WD40 stands for Water Dispersant number 40, ( The 40th attempt to get it right!). It's designed purpose was to be sprayed onto things like ignition leads to expel water, which, if you've old ignition leads that don't like the cold and damp it it's extremely good at reviving.

Thanks Vaughan and Charlie.  The fan we have is fully compliant as are all our pumps, battery chargers etc.  I am more than aware of the volatility of petrol after 12 yrs of ownership thanks!

It will be changed asap before the engine is run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

It's designed purpose was to be sprayed onto things like ignition leads to expel water,

I had a funny feeling someone would pick me up on that! I suppose this therefore means that it can't be a good conductor of electricity, as I have heard different opinions on this?

Jim, I hope you didn't take my remarks personally but I always feel that posts on a forum such as this are addressed to anyone listening, who may not have known something before, but may find the information valuable. I learn a lot from it!

• Like 7

Yes WD40 is a non conductor of Electricity, there wouldn't be much point in displacing the water off of cables, if it wasn't.!!

It's propellant theses days is CO2, which is also a non conductor (CO2 is used in Fire extinguishers for electrical fires.) 

You do have to be carefull picking up cans marked WD40 now, as there has been "brand expansion" and some cans whch have WD40 as a brand label have in smaller print a different substance such as: Gell lubricant or Easing oil or engine degreaser!!!.

• Like 2

Good morning Wussername.

I didn't reply to your posts last night as I was on my way to bed and to take Timbos advice about dreaming of the lady beach volley-ball players. The night before, my dreams were not much good as the Olympic lady dressage rider maintained a perfect "seat" and so won the medal, but it also mean't she didn't split her jodhpurs.

This is an old conundrum - are the yards simply replying to their customers' demands for luxury fittings or are they using these luxuries as a marketing ploy to attract the customers? I suggest it is a bit of both. I have always regarded boating as a camping holiday, and I am sure if you view it that way, you will best enjoy it.

Do you remember in  the late 60s when Blakes introduced symbols in the brochure beside each boat description, to show what extras could be found on board? There were 5 of them : Instant hot water, fridge (gas or electric), shower, heating, shaver point, and "fitted for TV". So you can see how basic they were in those days. Fine for a big yard to suddenly appear in the brochure with 5 symbols beside its boats but it mean't that next year all the other poor devils had to keep up with the Jones's or risk losing customers. These were the days of cool boxes, and Blakes ice bottles, so for a small yard to suddenly have to fit a fridge and a shower in all its boats, in one winter, was a crippling expense.

Have we now reached the point where all these extra luxuries have gone too far? Obvious yes, as the boats are no longer autonomous. Customers are having to run engines whilst not cruising, which is an annoying inconvenience to them, and to those around them.

By the way it's also very bad for the engines.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wussername said:

We are a couple of old curmudgeons Iain

Old, yes Andrew, ill tempered ? Nah, only when my pension is paid in late to my bank account ! :naughty:

There needs to be a defined structure, a defined approach to this problem. Achievable, yes. But only by the cooperation and involvement by all the partners involved. The Boat Yards, The BA and all importantly the boaters within our community.

Andrew

Bring back the little book we received with our booking invoice. A wealth of information it had IMO. I bet you could tell many a tale about trial run crews !

cheersIain

• Like 1

They put a plate at the helm telling you air draught and normally revs, which you need bad eyesight to miss, so why can't they just add a line saying please do not run engines between 8pm and 8am?? at least then the hirers can't say they didn't know, I doub't many read all the stuff in the hand book you get, I'm not talking bye laws but common sense, if your not told how do you know? I still say most yards don't do enough,

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I tell you what I shall be dreaming about tonight -

The Russian ladies  synchronised swimming team.

Did you notice? They didn't even have any lifejackets on!

I thought that they had water wings.

Some were very small

But when they turned on their other side

They weren't water wings at all!

• Like 2