Back To The Broads

Bob48

well it'll soon be that time again , in 6 weeks actually, the wife and i plus others , those being mum and dad tthe old bot ,daughter and a few special guests will be with us on our latest and possibly most anticipated trip of the year leaving Stalham for salhouse then up through Wroxham to Coltishall via Belaugh for fish nd chips at thre rising sun , then a return journey to possibly Ranworth or Ludham bridge . really can't wait will have our NBN window poster proudly flying portside, if you see us give us a wave will be out on the 3rd of oct returning to Stalham on the 6th. whoo whoooooo cheers

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

And with a fixed plan like that, i hope you can get under Wroxham bridge?.

i don't think there is such a thing as a fixed plan on the broads but it's what we'd like to do , all dependent of course , on whether  we change our minds and go somewhere else .lol cheers

• Like 4

right then the count down has officially begun 37 days remaining until the great Norfolk Broads return trip , if i said i was excited it would be the greatest understatement ever . stay safe everybody see you on the water cheers:wasted:

• Like 2

I look forward to reading how you get on Bob. I hired in early October 2 years ago and found it surprisingly busy. I wanted to moor at Sutton on my last night (first Monday in October) and it was full at 5pm. That said, it's a lovely time of year to go, moorings are generally available and there's something lovely about a fine October day. I'm there in late October this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I look forward to reading how you get on Bob. I hired in early October 2 years ago and found it surprisingly busy. I wanted to moor at Sutton on my last night (first Monday in October) and it was full at 5pm. That said, it's a lovely time of year to go, moorings are generally available and there's something lovely about a fine October day. I'm there in late October this year.

In all honesty Sutton is so popular as a last night for Stalham, with the pub on hand for a last meal, 5pm is too late any day of the week in the hiring season. In high season I have seen boats circling in the broad like sharks at 11am waiting for leavers.

• Like 1

Yes I know that now Chris, I made the mistake at the time of thinking because it was low season I'd be ok. Last September I arrived on a Wednesday afternoon (so only a few Richardsons boats finishing the following day) at 4pm and it was full once again. On that occasion however, we asked permission to moor at Sutton Staithe boatyard which was granted for a modest fee and that's something I would do again.

• Like 2

we stayed over night in Sutton on our last night out of our first trip back in May last year , lots of saillies, a fantastic time was had , we walked to Hickling which was surprisingly close ,  , can't wait to get back my crew are all " champing at the bit " so to speak , there will be a full report of our 3rd great adventure  made when we return home .

stay safe cheers

• Like 2

This isn't a "Hirer v owner" post but I just thought I'd mention this.

One of the delights of boat ownership over hiring is that ones attitude to moorings and cruising changes radically.

When we used to hire it would be "Where shall we moor for lunch and then where shall we lie tonight? I tended to iam for ends of navigations for nights and half way to them for lunch, so from Coltishall I'd aim for say Horning for lunch and Sutton for the night. from there I'd try for Ranworth for lunch and Womack for the next night. This way I'd get a load of cruising in.

Now I own my boat, I tend to go from where I lay last night to where I will lie tonight irrespective of the distance, so I may well be moored up by 15:00. Ownership tends to take the steam out of any itinary, it slows you down.

I'm sure Alan (Ranworth Breeze) will say if this seems to hold true for syndicate boating, I just don't know.

THe relevence of this post to the OP is that if you get to a mooring at about 15:00, even the most popular spots tend to have spaces. Perhaps the more 'active' boaters might do well just to start cruising earlier (say before breakfast) stop mid morning for a full english and make for their evening target mid afternoon. Just a suggestion! :)

• Like 8

Hi John,

It is basically the same for us when we are on the boat, normally if there is just Tan & myself with no guests planned or training to be done, we leave the Marina and go out for the week. We may have a plan but tend to just go go with the flow. Many of my fellow owners do the same, Tony who is on the boat this week couldn't get under Somerleyton Bridge due to none operation, expansion of the rails again. Because of this and not wanting to go under the bridge at low water he took in the delights of the Somerletyon moorings and the Dukes Head. 

Mooring on the Southern Broads tends not to be as busy other than places such as Brammerton and Reedham although there were not many spots available when we last on the boat in early July, that week was very busy for some reason. We booked a mooring at Beccles yacht station to be on the safe side but as it turned out there was a few other moorings when we arrived.

We tend to not rush about too much although Tan did get pulled up by the Broads Authority once above Alcle; less than 6 mph on the speedo but sadly we were running with a 1 mph tide, early days and now know better, of course the family always reminds Tan of her speed ace days:naughty:

Because of our draft we tend not to do any wild mooring but do mud weight at times.

Regards 

Alan

The same thing happens with us, our trip next month means that we will have had 8 weeks on 'Shadow' this calendar year.  No need to rush from A to B anymore, just a gentle tootle along to our favourite areas.  The only proviso is that, because of Rosie, we don't 'wild' moor.

SueH

• Like 3