Strange Question On Mooring!

Mowjo

Thank you Labrador, I said that some years ago in another place. I was told I was wrong and that he only ever took money from bank moored boats. I always thought I was right but couldn't be certain. Thanks for reinforcing my memories.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Can't have an iconic piece of Broads history sitting in a shed.

Are you refering to Timbo Vaughan?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Labrador said:

Just clocked this thread. Going back to Salhouse Broad, back in the 60's and 70's th ere used to be an old boy and his black labrador in a large outboard dinghy collecting fees from weighted boats, legitimately.

I'm sure I remember this happening as well

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

If you're going to take that "route" (and I agree with you) then it is rather longer than that! In the early 1800s the wherries could sail from Wroxham bridge to the other side of Horning Ferry, without sailing on the Bure and only crossing it once.

They went across Daisy Broad into Hudson's bay, across HGB at then crossed the river onto a little broad the other side - forget its name - from there was a channel through the marsh south of Horning which came out on the Bure again near to what was F.B.Wilds. This channel was probably the remains of the old course of the river, such as we still see at St Benet's, and was chosen by the wherries for a better wind in more open water.

Believe me or not as you wish, but there was a serious scheme in the 60s, put forward by Blakes and Hoseasons, to re- open this navigation and thus create a one-way system between Horning and Wroxham, to deal with the overcrowding in this particular area. In the end it didn't come to pass, for all the usual reasons but it would have been a good idea!

By the way JM, do give my regards to Old Frank. Haven't seen him for a year or two. Ask him when he is going to get his boat back in the water? Can't have an iconic piece of Broads history sitting in a shed.

Evening, Vaughan, you are not alone in wondering when EF is to be relaunched, A superb job has been made of the hull and OF has great plans for the interior, however those plans remain just that. OF has moved up North, Brancaster, and bought himself a Sharpie, a lovely boat that seems to have won his affection. Do you want me to e-mail him your address?

There is an entirely believable story of an old boy who collected mooring fees for several years from an unnamed Norfolk broad. When he finally 'retired' it was discovered that he had no authority to collect such fees. Apparently an honest moorer sought out the land-owner so he could pay the usual fee, up to that point the landowner had no knowledge of what had been going on. Not an entirely unheard of scam!!

• Like 1