Foreigners That Don't Talk Proper.

JennyMorgan

Dylly the Beagle once stole a toffee. The two hours he took to unstick his jaws, chew and swallow his ill gotten gains...not to mention the copious amounts of drool...are reminiscent of Uncle Albert trying to pronounce Belaugh. 

• Like 2

I have always pronounced it BeyLaw, as for Acle, I was informed by a lovely old gent we got chatting to on holiday once that it was pronounced Arcle and not Aaaacle as my kids call it, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter the places are beautiful however you say them

One of my little one's once said "Are we going up to the Antworth this year?" he got his River Ant and Ranworth a tad mixed up there lol

Grace

• Like 5

Oh well, if we are going to start foriegn places,

A large part of my family live in Borrowstouness, West Lothian.

Pronounced Bo'ness which why they occasionally get phone calls for people in Bowness in Cumbria.

or how about Milngavie (near Glasgow / Glasgie) pronounced Mulguye

• Like 2

We have several in Ayrshire, if using the broad dialect......Kirkmichael....Kirmickle......Kirkoswald.... Kirkussled.....Muirkirk.....Murkurk.....and ....Coylton...Cullton. Last of all where I am, Troon....Trin.

Just shows what your dialect can do to plain English ! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2

There is a small village near maidstone, that is spelt Trottiscliffe - its pronounced Trosley, I once phoned in to the local radio station when they mispronounced it - the next bulletin came out and called it trosleycliffe- at that point I gave up.

• Like 1

The best one was when the posh locals tried to get an e appended to my mother in laws village name, Kingston, they wanted to make it Kingstone, until it was pointed out that the missing e should in fact be placed Kingeston (actually old english Kingestun the hunting lodge of the king.)

• Like 1

The best name 'change' was 'Dirty Lane' in Fishlake Doncaster. My family have farmed and lived in the area for many generations and the lane had never changed its name...until they put road name signs up. Can anyone guess the name of the road for well over two hundred years?