What Is So Special About Postcards From Norfolk & The Broads?

JennyMorgan

What a silly question! Like my Mum I have long been an assiduous collector of postcards. Anyway, the time has come to declutter my office, what a task! Dear ol' E-Bay and one or two surprises! Fishing tackle for example, what is so special about 1960/70's tackle? I have received some amazing prices, not that I'm complaining. Anyway, back to postcards, I inherited not only my mum's collection but also her sister's thus I had a number of duplicates and cards that held no interest for me, plus I had 50 odd years of my own collecting. What has become very noticeable is that cards from Norfolk, and the Broads in particular, will sell and have generally sold well whilst cards from elsewhere have attracted far less interest and lower prices. I would have thought that South Coast boating with cards from 1950 to 1980 would have found a far larger audience than would the Broads. I have long concentrated on Oulton Broad & the River Waveney but inevitably I have others and it's those that I have been selling or swapping. As I have written, it's the Broads ones that sell, far outselling those from other areas such as the canals & Peak District for example. Great for when I'm selling, not so good for when I'm buying!

• Like 3

My dad was also a keen collector of postcards and we still have some of the very old sepia toned ones.

He also had large collections of cigarette cards and I remember as a kid collecting the Brooke Bond tea cards, we had albums full of them (probably still in the loft) life was much simpler then.

I'd never thought of putting any of this on ebay

Like you JM I have been decluttering. Not only have I had my own 'crap' to contend with, but my Dad's crap and that of my Great Aunt. I suppose hoarding is a family trait. After wading through so much 'junk' with the help of George (she's in charge of the cleaning) and Arbi (my Gentleman's Gentleman...what o' Jeeves) I was busily throwing 'stuff' into black bin bags to take to the charity shop. When I limped into the living room from my study where most of the junk had been stored I noticed that George and Arbi were busily taking the junk back out of the bags. I was about to lose my chump over the fact that I now had both a study and a living room full of junk when they pointed to the big screen where they had Ebay up.

Arbi spotted that I was throwing away my kids annuals from 1968 onwards and had typed them into ebay. I had a copy of the 1968 Marvel Fantastic Annual in excellent condition, listed as 'rare' on ebay, as well as the 1976 Marvel Annual also listed as rare. Along with The Scouts Pathfinder Annuals from 1964 and a lot of Beezer, Dandy, Blue Peter, Rupert, Tarzan, Scooby Doo Annuals. Some of them were only going for £3 each, many for £10-£20, a couple at £60+ and my Marvel Annuals for several hundreds.

Sort of on the postcard fron JM, there's my Great Aunt Phyll's collection of 3D type images, you know where they put two photos side by side? None of Norfolk I don't think, but they were passed to me as there are a lot of the excavations in Egypt in the 19th and early 20th centuries...complete with a folding tin plate viewer.

I also tried to check up on my Great Grandfather's copy of The Complete Angler. There are some 1911 Galliard editions on Ebay ranging from £60 to several hundred, but none like my copy. Mine is also the Galliard however its dated pre 1890's but rather than plain print like the other copies offered for sale, mine is a reproduction of the original. I might just hang on to it and enjoy it a bit longer!

I also have quite a lot of vintage fishing tackle, rods and reels etc. However I use it, especially my aerial reel which is perfect for trotting. 

• Like 2

Re vintage fishing tackle on E-Bay, I might have parted with my kid's inheritance but I have then gone on to buy modern and incredibly better performing gear. I sold a Hardy Silex reel for absolutely silly money, although I suspect the buyer thought that he had a deal, and bought a modern 'pin' for a fraction of the price and what a cracker of a reel it is too! I really don't see the attraction of using what honestly, by comparison is old crap! I sold some old aluminium maggot 'tins', modern in 1950, how much! But why when a modern, plastic maggot box is way better for the job and only a quid or two? I enjoy watching Chris Yates on A Passion for Angling but why do people seek to emulate him? I sold my Milwards Swimversa split cane rod to such a person, I now have a rather good Drennan rod that is way out of this world in comparison when it comes to catching fish, and I had change for a pint or ten. As for Aerial reels, old or modern, I have never liked those blessed spokes! I still have one that belonged to my Grandfather though but for actual fishing I have a Lewtham Leeds pin that I picked up from a junk-shop for a fiver, great reel! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deebee29 said:

My dad was also a keen collector of postcards and we still have some of the very old sepia toned ones.

He also had large collections of cigarette cards and I remember as a kid collecting the Brooke Bond tea cards, we had albums full of them (probably still in the loft) life was much simpler then.

I'd never thought of putting any of this on ebay

Be careful if you do resort to E-Bay, it can be addictive! Err, what else can I sell? Beware, you could end up living in a featureless, echoing cavern! On the other hand it's a great way of recycling crap. I sold 61 post cards the other day, ended up with £74.00 which is not to be sneezed at but they had sat in a box, on a shelf for years. Now I have space to spread and they weren't wasted. Some only got pence, some quite a few quid but thankfully someone wanted them, I no longer did.

• Like 2

I'm a serial chucker-outer married to a serial hoarder. Get's interesting in our house from time to time as there's nothing I like more than empty drawers and cupboards. The words that make my husband go cold with terror? "I'm getting a skip in!" Brings him to heel; every time:7_sweat_smile:

Regards,

Carole

• Like 2

I've still got all my Brooke Bond tea cards books fully completed. My dad used to send off for any that we were missing when they moved onto the next topic.

As for the postcards, are they all in mint condition JM or are any of them used? I would never have thought to start collecting anything like that. Sometimes it feels as if it's too late to start as it takes a lot of years before you have a meaningful collection of something new.

Jean, few old cards are really mint but that rarely detracts from the subject matter. Never too late to start!

Anyway, see here, plenty to choose from, just get your plastic out!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l2632.R2.TR10.TRC2.A0.H3.XNorfolk+Broads.TRS0&_nkw=norfolk+broads&_sacat=914

I search eBay for postcards of the Delight class even if just a back view or tiny bit. Some months ago there was this brilliant postcard which I had never seen before. As I was going to be out when the auction ended I left my husband to keep watching. Meaning to keep bidding. Sadly he did just watch but it did sell for silly money so I didn't get it but had saved an image! Any Delight photos please contact me :)

1 minute ago, w-album said:

Yep that's no XI and I have the postcard but I am sure that Bridget the current owner would love a copy :) do you remember her moored there?

I do indeed, I was licencee at the time and the old boy that owner her was the very handy-man, we spent many a happy hour on board her. She was a bit rough when she was at Burgh but the boatbuilders all helped when I wasn't watching;)! That was about forty years ago.

Thanks for the link to eBay JM. I never would have thought to try to sell anything like that on there. But I guess that anything that is worth something to someone may sell. When I went through a lot of my mum's things after she passed away, I had so much that I didn't have a clue whether anyone might be interested in. I suppose putting things on eBay is one way of finding out.

:wave Found these two postcards & they intrigue me, am i right in thinking that the bottom picture is a modern one of the top one & if so what year would it be ?  i think the top one is a painting & the bottom one has a 5p stamp on it lol,& the top one says bure court  on it ,Lori

tmp_3004-2016-12-17 17.06.56-302929968.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, springsong said:

Not a post card but you can have this Liz, if you would like.

That is me on the deck of Vestella safeguarding our paint from 

marauding Delights.

Just to keep with the post card of JM's original post a card of

Hunsett  Mill in the "good old days".

1957 April Vestella 6.jpeg

Lovely Barry, I will save the image to my collection. Do you know what year by the way. B773 is Delight X