Festive Drinking

LondonRascal

I’m not sure about anyone else, but during this festive time I tend to look into drinking a bit more – no, not just the act of drinking but the actual stuff I am and experiment a little more than usual.

I’ve never really been a Whisky fan, but did not mind too much a Jack Daniels – which to many Whisky aficionados is sweet drivel from over the pond.  Because it is not aged for too long, and because it is filtered through Maple charcoal I actually did not mind it too much because of that sweetness it seems to have.

A couple of weeks ago I found a far more scrumptious drink I’d long since forgotten about - Jim Beam.  It is not a common bottle to be found in pubs, but thankfully my local has it.  It seems those in the know talk of it being less smooth and not as nice as Jack Daniels but  I find it really far smoother and nicer and goes down well with a coke - more so to my taste than the average Rum. I will now have to try it with coffee to see what that is like...

Another drink I don’t mind too much but often wonder ‘what can I do with it’ is Disaronno – until someone told me ‘you’ve got to try it with hot chocolate’ and sure enough it is really very nice, as it is too drizzled over some Vanilla ice cream.  I tend to get a bottle of this every year given to me by a client so now I have some ideas as to what can be done with it all the better.

Going back to Rum, El Dorado 12 Year Old ‘Gold Rum’ really goes down a treat. It only lasted a short time on Broad Ambition's bar so if you like a mellow Rum with a real Demerara silky taste this is a good one to go for.

Right now is a good time to buy because there is always deals to be had at supermarkets in the last week before Christmas, but the moment the shops open after the prices will not only go back to what they were but often increase as people re-stock building up for New Years! 

So I wonder what others ‘top tipples’ are this season?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I’m not sure about anyone else, but during this festive time I tend to look into drinking a bit more – no, not just the act of drinking but the actual stuff I am and experiment a little more than usual.

I’ve never really been a Whisky fan, but did not mind too much a Jack Daniels – which to many Whisky aficionados is sweet drivel from over the pond.  Because it is not aged for too long, and because it is filtered through Maple charcoal I actually did not mind it too much because of that sweetness it seems to have.

A couple of weeks ago I found a far more scrumptious drink I’d long since forgotten about - Jim Beam.  It is not a common bottle to be found in pubs, but thankfully my local has it.  It seems those in the know talk of it being less smooth and not as nice as Jack Daniels but  I find it really far smoother and nicer and goes down well with a coke - more so to my taste than the average Rum. I will now have to try it with coffee to see what that is like...

Another drink I don’t mind too much but often wonder ‘what can I do with it’ is Disaronno – until someone told me ‘you’ve got to try it with hot chocolate’ and sure enough it is really very nice, as it is too drizzled over some Vanilla ice cream.  I tend to get a bottle of this every year given to me by a client so now I have some ideas as to what can be done with it all the better.

Going back to Rum, El Dorado 12 Year Old ‘Gold Rum’ really goes down a treat. It only lasted a short time on Broad Ambition's bar so if you like a mellow Rum with a real Demerara silky taste this is a good one to go for.

Right now is a good time to buy because there is always deals to be had at supermarkets in the last week before Christmas, but the moment the shops open after the prices will not only go back to what they were but often increase as people re-stock building up for New Years! 

So I wonder what others ‘top tipples’ are this season?

Galliano poured over ice cream is delicious. merry hicmas all!

Carole

• Like 1

You should try some apple-jack warmed up in the microwave for 20 seconds... 

around this time my favourite is always warm mulled cider, or if that is not available then mulled wine with a drop of brandy!!

didnt make any sloe gin this year but that's also a Christmas favourite of mine with some cheese & crackers.

Well if you like your bourbon robin maybe try this one!!:bow

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/1164/knob-creek-small-batch

as for the rum. The el dorado 15yr or if you can afford it the 21yr old are realllly nice!!!

and if you like Mount Gay Paul, visit my brother when your next out in the Caribbean. If he has any left!!!!

the remnants of his sons winnings when we were there last. 

IMG_0503.JPG

the rum station. An oak cask holds a few gallons of the stuff and matures even cheap rum really nicely (no idea who was on the coke)

IMG_0513.JPG

and finally the rum tasting. Why oh why we did it on the first night after travelling and being up for over 24 hrs is anyones guess. But it seemed like a good idea at the time. Not so good the next morning:facepalm:

the 21yr old el dorado was my favourite  

IMG_0502.JPG

You may have guessed rum is a favourite of mine at any time of the year. Whisky and whiskey, gin and maybe a brandy. Don't mess them up with mixers (other than tonic in the gin). Adnams is well worth a try as well  

Im off to sign up for AA now (and not to get the car started)!:dance

happy squifmasxmas6

• Like 4

That used to be my favourite tipple but Molinari rather than Luxardo and warm from being  fired not cold. In fact I got so fond of it, finding it "cured" all sorts of digestive disorders ( yes really!) that when I went to my GP for my yearly  m.o.t. she noticed a significant increase in my blood sugar, and in all other respects I do not have a sweet tooth so the culprit was easy to identify thus bye bye Sambuca sadly:wave

Carole

• Like 1