Silverline

NorfolkNog

A lot depends on the type of bearing. Can you post a photo?

Basically if it is dripping more after a run, then it needs tightening. If it has got to the end of the tightening thread then it needs re-packing.

When you tighten it up till it stops dripping, run the engine in ahead gear for 5 minutes and then put your hand on the bearing. If it is warm to the touch, that is normal. If you can't touch it, then slack it off a bit and try again. I never tighten a bearing without trying it for temperature afterwards.

If you have to re-pack it, I'll do you a drawing of what to do, and if it lasts until the spring meet, I'll have look!

You know, some mornings it is essential to put your glasses on, make a coffee and make sure that you are awake, your sense of humour safety protocols are operating correctly and you give yourself plenty of time to read several posts chronologically before diving into the forum. It saves you running out of the shower, wet through, to check what you read when problems concerning the possibility of packing MM's dripping stern gland and Vaughan's offer to draw pictures and take a look in the spring reach your brain. 

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, Vaughan said:

The Broads type stern gland (inboard bearing) is designed to drip very slowly, about once every 3 seconds, as it is water lubricated. It can be tightened up, to stop the drip, but then it might overheat when running. It is a fine adjustment.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, Vaughan said:

Anyone remember the old days, when the stern gland and the raw water pump had grease caps? Hirers were shown how to give the caps half a turn every morning, before starting the engine. So no funny noises in the night. At least not from the boat!

Sorry Vaughan, I should have read your post more carefully given that it answers my questions... Oh and yes, I do remember having to turn the cap each morning. I'm still supposed to do it... when I remember. though not on the raw water me thinks... I'd better check that when I'm next down.

I was checking Vaughan's post whilst typing mine and missed some replies.

Thanks Vaughan, I'd appreciate your having a quick squint at my stern gland and advising me. It should be fine until the meet, it's been like it a while now!

Thanks Timbo, I can never tell when you're going to be predictable. :) 

No divers me thinks Peter I don't drip THAT much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Thanks Timbo, I can never tell when you're going to be predictable. :) 

I'm predictable on Thursdays, Sundays and half days on Tuesday. Wednesday and half day Tuesday I'm morose and Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays I'm unpredictable...unless it's a leap year. I made a note in my diary. I'm as regular as clockwork I will have you know...we are not at home to Mr Dripping Stern Gland!

• Like 2