Sir John Hurt

Timbo

It's already turning in to a bad year:

Overend Watts (Mott the Hoople)

John Chelew (Record producer responsible for many fine albums)

Maggie Roche (The Roche Sisters)

Roger Williams (Trombonist with Home Service and many classical ensembles and mixer of the world's best Champagne cocktails)

Mike Kellie (drummer with Spooky Tooth)

Jaki Liebezeit  (drummer with Can)

Butch Trucks (drummer with The Allan Brothers)

Graham Taylor, )former england, Watford, villa and Lincoln city manager)

Lord Snowdon

Rachael Heyhoe-Flint (pioneer of women's cricket)

Gordon Kaye

Tam Dalyell

And many others.

This year is off to a bad start.

• Like 1

I think the problem really is - not that more people are dying- but in reality more people we have heard of are dying.

Talented people have always died (except Elvis- apparently he went away with Aliens) its just that in the modern world we have grown up being able to appreciate those talented people - they have been on TV in film and on the internet, so their talent has become widely known, and the more talented people we know, the more are being seen to be dying. after all it happens to the best of us eventually.

Also many years ago, the death of a major personality would have been reported less, maybe an obituary in the deaths column of the Times, but it would not (except for rare cases (Elvis springs to mind again here)) would it have been reported as front page news worldwide. Nowadays of course the press has to get it out there on all major newsfeeds- facebook and even the papers. and then we have to have a 6 week period where all of the things they are famous for are spread over every media outlet to celebrate their life.

• Like 5

I was discussing the demise of what seems like vast swathes of musical and acting talent with my better half Ellie. She's more au fait with what passes for talent these days. For a change we sort of agreed loosely that those born around or just after WW2 are coming to the end of their allotted span. The forties, fifties and sixties saw an increase in population with more opportunity to raise hell in an environment more tolerant of creativity. We also agreed that Lawrence Olivier was as wooden an actor as you could get...and the modern celebrities when they start shuffling off this mortal coil will have really short obituaries because...well, they are famous for nothing.

• Like 4

When we were very young... say 25 or so, we knew little of the various 'celebs' of the pre war era. To our parents they were heroes but to us... we would say "Who?" when told that some musician or actor had snuffed it.

Now the boot is on the other foot. the youngsters of today know little of 'Mot the Hoople'. 'Herman's Hermits' are a mystery to them... but not to us! The only reason we think all the greats are suddenly falling off the twigs is just that we are now the sad old gits we used to laugh at when we were younger.

Trust me. When 'Puff Daddy' goes, the same thing will be said by todays kids. Wait for the day and look down with a wry smile and tell 'em,,, "Your getting old kiddo"  :) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

I was discussing the demise of what seems like vast swathes of musical and acting talent with my better half Ellie. She's more au fait with what passes for talent these days. For a change we sort of agreed loosely that those born around or just after WW2 are coming to the end of their allotted span. The forties, fifties and sixties saw an increase in population with more opportunity to raise hell in an environment more tolerant of creativity. We also agreed that Lawrence Olivier was as wooden an actor as you could get...and the modern celebrities when they start shuffling off this mortal coil will have really short obituaries because...well, they are famous for nothing.

I could certainly have done without that observation. I wasn't feeling too perky anyway having had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my  nose on Friday followed by a skin graft (ouch!) and having just removed the dressing, not a pretty sight but I still don't feel anywhere near done with the mortal coil yet.so I'm worried how it's going to look long term.

Carole

• Like 1