Navigation Report Re Stern On Mooring

kfurbank

Fred, I was the licencee at the Waveney Inn back in the 1970s and around the Broads it was eleven o'clock back then. I suppose I was seventeen when I went to college in the 1960's and it was also eleven then. I don't actually know when the Broads adopted eleven o'clock closing, presumably because it's a holiday area but it must be at least fifty years ago.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Dreadful, absolutely dreadful. I can remember driving home with one eye shut. With two I could see double. I had a 1937 Austin 7 convertible. We all helped to drive it. It went very slowly. Hood down, six up.

Full of Watneys Red Barrel. Or pints of two's. Nothing to be proud of these days but we knew no better.

Andrew

A couple of Party Sevens on the backseat and young ladies loosing their inhibitions after only three Babyshams, cod & six on the way home, I only very vaguely remember those days!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The subject of this thread is stern-on mooring.  :swordpir:

Which reminds me of when I was 17 and had a girl-friend who lived in Halvergate. When running her home across those marshes, there were several field gates, where you could park the car stern on!

I well remember parking in such a manner, getting stuck and having to walk a few miles to find a phone box, calling home and suggesting to my father that he brings a tow rope from the boatshed. Thankfully dad saw the funny side of it all!

• Like 5

On the stern on mooring subject,  whilst I'm fully in agreement that stern on at Horning Ferry was a bit bonkers,  there are a limited number of locations where stern on would be both perfectly safe and increase mooring capacity.  Think St Benets,  Acle Bridge Inn or even Horning village Staithe.  If the river is wide enough and sight lines are good,  why not?  Give me stern on over double moored any day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I well remember Harry Last at Coldham Hall announcing, with deep regret, that the new village Plod had yet to be educated thus he'd better lock the door. Plod's bike light had been seen, it was well past midnight!

When we had the Dog and Pheasant we always had the hardy farmers etc that liked a late one. On the new Sergeant taking over on the Island, she came in and said if I go past  after hours and flash my blues and horns I want to see the bar and car park empty on my return from the end of the island. She never did come past lol, her way I think of letting me know that she knew.

Charlie

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

On the stern on mooring subject,  whilst I'm fully in agreement that stern on at Horning Ferry was a bit bonkers,  there are a limited number of locations where stern on would be both perfectly safe and increase mooring capacity.  Think St Benets,  Acle Bridge Inn or even Horning village Staithe.  If the river is wide enough and sight lines are good,  why not?  Give me stern on over double moored any day. 

St benets possibly but with double mooring allowed there is probably sufficient space anyway.

Acle Bridge on a blind bend approaching the bridge - unlikely to happen.

Horning Staithe - unless you close Perci Island completely and stop the Southern Comfort from running from the Swan Inn its not going to happen. There are already enough issues with people mooring stern on at the Swan in big cruisers even though the signs say day boats only.

Could possibly get the whole stretch upstream of Acle Bridge stern on as it is straight and wide.

:Sailing Just my opinion

26 minutes ago, Alone1 said:

St benets possibly but with double mooring allowed there is probably sufficient space anyway.

Acle Bridge on a blind bend approaching the bridge - unlikely to happen.

Horning Staithe - unless you close Perci Island completely and stop the Southern Comfort from running from the Swan Inn its not going to happen. There are already enough issues with people mooring stern on at the Swan in big cruisers even though the signs say day boats only.

Could possibly get the whole stretch upstream of Acle Bridge stern on as it is straight and wide.

:Sailing Just my opinion

Not if you are trying to tack a broads yacht along that reach ( the wind there always seems 'on the nose) there isn't !

30 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Not if you are trying to tack a broads yacht along that reach ( the wind there always seems 'on the nose) there isn't !

The only real solution to the mooring shortage & tacking yachts is to restrict the hours that motor boats may navigate. Pub opening times when Broads yacht owners are most likely to be moored up would seem entirely logical.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It's always easy to comment in hindsight but with the dredging work associated with the flood alleviation scheme it would have been perfectly feasible to have created mooring bays. However folk appear to insist on 24hr style hard banks to moor against but in reality all we really need are mooring posts/dolphins to moor between. Ah well, nobody listened to me back then so why should they now? 

• Like 2