Windows 10 Word Processing

thingamybob

Hi.

I have just been helping out a friend with his new Windows 10 computer. I must admit, I felt like a blind man in a dark room as all I have experienced is Windows 98, XP and 7. I still have my Windows 7 computer which does all that I want. The thing is that on Windows 10, Microsoft want you to rent (not buy) their Word 365 word processing program which is not cheap.

Whilst there is no doubt that Word 365 is an excellent program there is much on there that will never be used by the average user. My friend just wants to write a few letters, actually, that is almost all that I want to do too. My friend is on a small pension so has to watch the pennies. I had a quick flit around the internet and found Libre Office.

Libre Office is a free open source program that gives you very usable WP without all the templates etc. that most people will never use. Spread sheets are also included in the package, which in all probability my friend will never use. Also, it works offline. 

The bottom line is that the package is free but if you wish to make a donation there is a facility to do this. My friend is so please that he intends to send a reasonable donation as this has saved him a considerable amount of money.

Also, I dumped (sorry, uninstalled) the MacAfee virus scan that was nagging him for money to renew the program and set up the Windows Defender which is also a freebee. My friend will never do internet banking so that virus scan will do. I would recommend a good paid for virus scan if he did bank on line. I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for years which is very similar and it works well.

Hope this helps to save other forumites some pennies to spend on their larger boat tolls.

Regards.

Thingamybob.     

• Like 1

I run linux where none of the software costs a penny (ok I do have some old windows machines, but once again I dont believe I have ever had to buy software (came with the machine).

you can still get office, if your company uses it at work there is usually a deal where you can get it for home dirt cheap (and not the stupid subscription version either.)

yep I'd agree with Grendel, my version of both windows 10 and Office Pro are the latest version and are obtained through the company. We can have one purchase per person, and that will allow two computers to be loaded up. Windows 10 or Office Pro costs 10 dollars (I work for an American company) so it costs in pounds whatever that works out to be...

My versions give me the option of being online or on computer. I stay on computer,...

I would never use a rented software...

The company long since gave up using external anti virus systems, and now all the thousands of computers round the world just use MS built in systems.

I just use IOBIT advanced system care(free version) to keep everything tidied up. DON'T LOAD THEIR OPTIONAL ANTI VIRUS, it turns off the MS system.

I got fed up with hearing all the swearing and cursing when SWMBO is doing her bits using office 2010 so installed open office and thunderbird for email, works like a charm and most of the swearing has stopped, if it wasn't for a few bits I use that only run on windows I would go fully to linux, I used it back in the days of red hat 9 and setup an old pc to act as router/webserver/ftp server/firewall and it worked well (but took a lot of setting up), I just don't fancy trying to convince her to do the jump.

2 hours ago, LeoMagill said:

I got fed up with hearing all the swearing and cursing when SWMBO is doing her bits using office 2010 so installed open office and thunderbird for email, works like a charm and most of the swearing has stopped, if it wasn't for a few bits I use that only run on windows I would go fully to linux, I used it back in the days of red hat 9 and setup an old pc to act as router/webserver/ftp server/firewall and it worked well (but took a lot of setting up), I just don't fancy trying to convince her to do the jump.

There is a lot to be said for Linux nowadays but it does, as you say, lack some software. I am heavily into photo editing and music recording and find the support on Linux to be lacking.It is a shame for distros like Ubuntu are so stable now. For email and word-processing though Linux has all Mr Average really needs.

So after trashing my old laptop...pouring coca-cola inside it will do that you know...I have now purchased a new laptop and of course this has come with Windows 10. Three hours today. THREE HOURS it has taken to get this Windows 10 machine to where I can get to the desktop. This has only been achievable by agreeing to Microsoft's terms which are decidedly 'dodgy'. I don't believe for one minute that the machine is secure.

If you want to write letter and do basic word processing in win10 (04 7/8) just use wordpad, its free and built in.

If you want to do more intensive stuff Libre Office seems to have overtake open office as the go to free office suite.

If your really desperate for MS office then its often on offer for £50 a year, its also discounted for NHS workers, people in education, etc.

All I'll say is you can get the full latest 2016 version from ebay for under a tenner - you take the chance if you can live with the guilt!! I think outlook is in there as well.

I have a purchased package on my laptop that I got as part of my package but I can't install it on my base unit as well.

I work for a very large company based at a bank and still can't get the reduce price Microsoft offer.