A Bright Idea ??? I Need Help!

Now Here’s a thing.  At night it gets dark. Ok ok, call me a ‘know-it-all’ if you must but I notice these things. I am reliably informed that the way to overcome this darkness at night is to turn a light on. Well that’s fine and dandy but I don’t want it on all night all so when I’m ready to sleep, I turn it off again. Many of you will be saying “Great, problem solved.” (ok, most of you will be asking yourselves why you are reading all this garbage and muttering “prat” under your breaths) but I regret the problem is far from solved as you will see… ( if it’s light)

Well, this tricky little poser can be sorted automattically by having the light on a time switch. On it comes at six in the evening and off again at midnight. MAGIC !!! errr wait a moment,… not solved! The time it gets dark varies.

No problemo. I get rid of the time switch and put in a light sensitive switch instead. Now the light comes on when it gets dark whatever the time. MAGIC !!! errr wait a moment… not solved! The light stays on until dawn.

Still no problemo I plug the light sensitive switch into a time switch. The time switch is set to come on at midday and go off at midnight so between those two hours, the light comes on when it gets dark and goes off at midnight. MAGIC !!! errr wait a moment… not solved. I was so excited to try this I watched it when the power came on, watched again when the light came on as it became dark and then saw it turn off at midnight. So extatic with joy was I, that I got up to go to the loo. That’s when I stubbed my toe because the lights were out and it was dark and past midnight.

What I need is a proximity switch so that if the lights are out but it is dark and someone wants to see where they are going, it overrides the time switch but not the light sensitive switch.  I’m not sure of how to wire this… but it goes further.

There are times when although light, I need to turn the lights on for a bit of extra light. This has to be manual so what I need is a manual switch that will turn the lights on or off whatever the situation.. So, in short, this is what I need.

A master switch that turnes the shooting match on/off

A manual switch that turns the lights on whatever the other switches are doing (except the master)

A Time switch

A light sensitive switch, and

A proximity switch

And finally a wiring diagram to show me how to wire that little lot.

Ok, the reality of this is to control some outside security lights in a carport and on a wall so the whole lot needs to be weather proof too. Any ideas?

39 minutes ago, Regulo said:

This can be done quite easily - but I can't think of a timer that can be mounted externally. Would it be possible to mount that inside? And a junction box to bring the wiring together?

Yes, it's just the light sensitive switch and some of the lights themselves that need to be totally weatherproof

Just a quick thought MM. How about one of these. It would make life a lot easier, this would act as your timer, photo switch and override switch all in one. All you'd need then is a proximity switch (PIR) outside.

58bada5756865_securitysw.thumb.jpg.9582f037b5c312f275c8f07d10a456a5.jpg

Whoops, forgot to add, fed from from a cheap indoor plug top type timer set to what ever times you want.

personally I would just use this unit without the timer and power something like a 25w LED flood and add an outside switch to over ride the sensor.

Colin

Err, where did my edit button go?

But MM specifically wants the lights on permanently from 6 p.m. til midnight. This solution will only light them when someone approaches. We know he's a bit . . . weird, shall we say, but that's what he wants! :)

MM, easiest option is two sets of lights.

One set on a timer and one on PIR control.

Don't put the PIR controller next to the timed set or the controller will pick up the heat from the timed set.

Most timers have a manual override, and to keep the PIR on keep dancing!

paul

Whoops, sorry to disappear like that, had to go to Gravesend for a party last night and have only just got back.

This whole thing came about from a discussion in a pub (like they do) where we were talking about an automatic lighting system based not on what was being foisted on us by the likes of B&Q but on what we actually wanted. The situations were each a little different but the overall requirements were the same. It started that the system needed to be automatic for convenience and security.

It was felt that these days with LEDs taking so little juice to run, we wanted the lights on from dusk to midnight. if they came on at the same time each night it was a bit of a security giveaway, and if it was just a time switch, we'd be forever changing it. so the time switch and light sensitive switch was the obvious solution. I pointed out that I sometimes needed the carport lights on in the day as it was pretty shady in there, so the override manual switch was included.

Then one of the guys started talking about the occasions when someone arrived at the house after midnight, and wouldn't it be nice if the lights came on for them, or just to come on for security, so the PIR switch was added into the equation.

So, as you see, none of the individual requirements is in any way unusual, many people have some of the functions but nobody seems to have strung them all together as yet. I started thinking about setting them up as individual switches and couldn't for the life of me work out the basic wiring diagram I needed to achieve the results. So, I asked the group I always ask when I run into difficulty... you!

I will sort out the diagram shortly, MM. Whether it will make sense - who knows? :taunt:.

PS: You are aware that anything other than minor works on house wiring must be carried out by a qualified electrician, with the required certificates?

Oh and sorry but I have a PS.

I have three switches to my bedroom light and can turn the light on or off from any one of them irrespective of which switch was used to put them in the existing condition, so if I turn the light on from any of the switches A, B, or C and then turn them off again from any of those switches. I'm still struggling to work out the wiring diagram from that one too. :)