John Surtees

ChrisB

Yes, not only a true Gentleman, but one of the greatest men in motorsports history. He won world championships on 2 and 4 wheels, and at a time where riders and drivers safety was looked on very much as an inconvenience.  If you were to get todays riders and drivers to ride or drive the machinary of John Surtees  day, not only would they not be able to do it, they would`nt be able to control these very basic machines.

RIP John.

If you were to get todays riders and drivers to ride or drive the machinary of John Surtees  day, not only would they not be able to do it, they would`nt be able to control these very basic machines.

RIP John.o

don,t know about that really , put john in a current f1 car he would be lost, to the point he would n,t get it moving, a current fi driver drives a high spec road car ,supplied by his team , and they all started with a go kart, basic skills are learnt early but are still the same as driving a 1100 cc road car, push it to it,s limit, finding that limit and keeping it there lap after lap is what makes a great racer , old or new,comparisons are irrelevent imho

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Regulo said:

My mum was in hospital at the same time as John (I think he suffered kidney troubles?), and spoke to him. She told me he was a genuinely nice man. Sad loss.

John did indeed suffer with kidney trouble. He had very severe internal bleeding from the kidneys in that really bad crash caused by front suspension failure. Can't remember where or when it was now.

I was fortunate enough to have met him at Donnington at a VSCC meeting where he was driving a W125 Mercedes, first of the so called Silver Arrows on a few demonstration laps with David Coulthard in the ex Moss 196 grand prix car. A real mild mannered Gentleman. Neither of them were parading in the vernacular they were both giving it large.