Nyepi

Nyepi is a Balinese "Day of Silence" that is commemorated every Isakawarsa (Saka new year) according to the Balinese calendar (in 2017, it falls on March 28). It is a Hindu celebration mainly celebrated in Bali, Indonesia. Nyepi, a public holiday in Indonesia, is a day of silence, fasting and meditation for the Balinese. The day following Nyepi is also celebrated as New Year's Day. On this day, the youth of Bali practice the ceremony of Omed-omedan or 'The Kissing Ritual' to celebrate the new year. The same day celebrated in India as ugadi.

Observed from 6 a.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning, Nyepi is a day reserved for self-reflection, and as such, anything that might interfere with that purpose is restricted. The main restrictions are no lighting fires (and lights must be kept low); no working; no entertainment or pleasure; no traveling; and, for some, no talking or eating at all. The effect of these prohibitions is that Bali's usually bustling streets and roads are empty, there is little or no noise from TVs and radios, and few signs of activity are seen even inside homes. The only people to be seen outdoors are the Pecalang, traditional security men who patrol the streets to ensure the prohibitions are being followed.

Although Nyepi is primarily a Hindu holiday, non-Hindu residents and tourists are not exempt from the restrictions. Although they are free to do as they wish inside their hotels and homes, no one is allowed onto the beaches or streets, and the only airport in Bali remains closed for the entire day. The only exceptions granted are for emergency vehicles responding to life-threatening conditions and women about to give birth.

On the day after Nyepi, known as Ngembak Geni, social activity picks up again quickly, as families and friends gather to ask forgiveness from one another, and to perform certain religious rituals together.

What this means peeps is that there are New Year's Eve parties on the streets tonight and then the place is ''shut-down'' for 24 hours from tomorrow morning at 6.00am. 

No bars, no restaurants, no supemarkets, no taxis, no nothing.

Stay in bed day I think.

• Like 9

That is absolutely fascinating, I never knew that, it's amazing what we can learn from this Forum, thank you for that Eric :kiss

My advice to you would be to party until 6am, sleep it off for the rest of the day, wake up at 6pm, have a nice meal and a glass of wine, watch EastEnders and go back to bed lol

Have a nice time tonight

Grace

• Like 2

Ok, ok so I watch EastEnders, so shoot me lol :facepalm:Careful now Dave, remember what we were talking about the other day don't you? :naughty: I have friends from the East End of London and believe me I know they are nothing like the characters in the soap

Sorry Eric for going off this wonderful topic, it's not my fault, I would never do that :naughty:

Please keep us informed of this brilliant tradition, will you be able to use your computer? Perhaps you can chat to us lot all day, better than EastEnders any day of the week

Grace

• Like 4

My warmest congratulations to you both, I was raised in the belief there is no boundaries in love and friendship, regardless of age, race or gender, a man from Scotland marries a much younger, beautiful woman from Bali and still together after twenty years, enough said :love

Have a lovely evening

Grace :kiss

• Like 6

When Graham and I met I was in the sixth form and he was in the fifth. I had to 'demean' myself and visit the lower school lunchtimes to see him.  That's love! I didn't half feel like a cradle snatcher (there's only six months between our ages).  That was 40 years ago. Our relationship also survived going to different Universities. (Now there's a test of commitment!)  We got married a week after Graham's graduation. 

• Like 1