Tailgating Or What

Hylander

40 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

You have just mentioned the ROMANS and ESTUARIES in one sentence.

You deserve all that will surely follow, from Timbo!!

So neither Yarmouth nor Kirkley were never estuaries and the Romans never built Burgh Castle?  Well, dang my dingly dangly bits for being such an ignoramus!

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I don't think you can beat a summer's afternoon sitting outside the boat with a glass of something nice, listening to the sounds of the big white sheets on a saily flapping on a gentle breeze as they glide past, just beautiful but cruise through them, not on your life

As for the Romans and Vikings, way before my time, what was it really like, JM? :naughty::kiss

Grace

Sorry, Gracie, I really don't know,  I'll ask Timbo.

• Like 1

I just wonder how they got a longship under Potter heigham and Wroxham bridges, was the figurehead detachable (starts wondering if its possible to make a longship in the back garden - it would be a short one though), Hmm now who do i know with a longship, well I do know of about 3 out there, the water depth wouldnt be a problem as they probably draw less than most broads cruisers.

• Like 2

I have been inside that one- several times, the whole of the floor is rotten, we had to lay plywood sheets as we went just to go in there (that was the time we filmed with Blue peter there), the previous time we had about 50 vikings in there for a photoshoot for a book on vikings, there is a copy in most school libraries nowadays.

Eh what? 

Fwiends, Rwomans, Brwoadsmen and women...

The Romans were indeed at Yarmouth and Kirkley which judging by finds, not so many at Kirkley but there is a Roman Farmhouse, were ports on a small river estuary. They did build Burgh Castle...a sort of Latin equivalent of Lathems not so much a fort as a trading station, possibly with captains hats and dirty postcards... which was occupied by Roman Cavalry.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Eh what? 

Fwiends, Rwomans, Brwoadsmen and women...

The Romans were indeed at Yarmouth and Kirkley which judging by finds, not so many at Kirkley but there is a Roman Farmhouse, were ports on a small river estuary. They did build Burgh Castle...a sort of Latin equivalent of Lathems not so much a fort as a trading station, possibly with captains hats and dirty postcards... which was occupied by Roman Cavalry.

Nowadays Lathams appears to be overrun by the Brigante hordes all puttering 'eee-ducks' to all and sundry and demanding extra discount.

• Like 2

When we first arrived on the Broads in 2010 Somerleyton  Bridge was only being opened for passage through for two short windows a day. We were on our first trip, following a friend who was showing us the ropes. We arrived downstream of  Somerleyton shortly before the bridge was due to open and there were quite a few very large craft hovering waiting to go through. When we finally did go through we couldn' t believe our eyes. There were myriad craft all over the river going in every which direction,  and just to add  to the mayhem. several hire boats who had been moored at the mooring just upstream of the bridge . just pushed off with no thought  as to oncoming craft, one such boat came a long side us  on the port side so close I could almost reach and touch his boat, I leant out of our boat and politely asked him if he would drive his car like that?  With a surprised look he shook his head, I then equally politely suggested he  throttle back and go behind where he should have stayed in the first place which he immediately did. It all sorted itself out in the end but was a very bizarre situation which made us wonder if we had made a mistake In relocating.

Carole

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, grendel said:

I just wonder how they got a longship under Potter heigham and Wroxham bridges, was the figurehead detachable (starts wondering if its possible to make a longship in the back garden - it would be a short one though), Hmm now who do i know with a longship, well I do know of about 3 out there, the water depth wouldnt be a problem as they probably draw less than most broads cruisers.

Hmm. It makes you wonder where the Vikings bought their temporary licences to navigate the Norfolk Broads. Certainly the Whitlingham Information Centre and the Wroxham Information Centre were not in existence. BA is very remiss in this respect.     :)