Tailgating Or What

Hylander

Well if they crash into each other, they are both from the same company, filmed on their own CCTV. I would be extremely concerned if a private craft was within a couple of boat lengths of those two.

I wonder when the first hire boat casualty will occur requiring being taken out of service for several days. With boating manoeuvres like this, it won't be long lol.

• Like 1

When one travels from A to B it is almost inevitable that one will need to go through C and maybe even the rest of the alphabet. It is equally inevitable that some of the other places, M for example, might be less attractive than B, and S may even be a complete S*** hole.

Wroxham is quite a long way through the alphabet, though not as far as Yarmouth. Places beyond Yarmouth (in the alphabet) tend to be in other counties and are not linked to the Broads National Carr Park.

In some ways Acle is very close to Yarmouth, yet in others separated by a scenic alphabetic and cultural gulf.

I hope this explanation helps you Peter, if only to understand how wise people with diesel engines really are.

• Like 6

The boat draped in fenders is on one of the worst moorings on the broads for likelihood of getting hit!

We had that spot for a few months over one winter, brilliant location view wise but we soon moved on before it got busy!  

Its not for anyone with a weak heart anyway! 

• Like 1

My guess is given that the picture was taken this mid-afternoon, it is highly likely all three Barnes boats were manned by staff taking their respective new skippers on trial runs, so probably no real concerns. The image repeated below does appear to show two gents similarly dressed alongside the helmsmen. 

David

58f50b7765806_BureatWroxham.png.cc900891e6cafb4e503c99ca9140376b.png

• Like 3

I can't see that M, There are boats manoeuvring ahead of the two brink craft and we have no knowledge of what lead up to the position we see in the picture. What's the wind doing? How close to each other were they 2 minutes before the still was taken? Was the turning boat making more of a meal of it than he should? How many of the crew involved were novices and how many were experts... and which were which? Was the lead boat of the pair going astern? Finally, was there any contact post pic? or were the helmsmen the sorts of experts we dream of becoming?

No, Sorry M, I refuse to be critical of anyone involved without a lot more information... which we are unlikely to get.

Whoops, edited to add...

It might not help novices who read these forums to gain confidence thinking that their every move in a busy spot is highlighted like this

• Like 8

On looking more closely I think it is the angle of sight which is misleading. The boat astern is not tail-gating; he is actually positioned around 15 to 20ft off the starboard quarter, where he would only have to turn the wheel a bit to avoid a collision if necessary.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

When one travels from A to B it is almost inevitable that one will need to go through C and maybe even the rest of the alphabet. It is equally inevitable that some of the other places, M for example, might be less attractive than B, and S may even be a complete S*** hole.

Wroxham is quite a long way through the alphabet, though not as far as Yarmouth. Places beyond Yarmouth (in the alphabet) tend to be in other counties and are not linked to the Broads National Carr Park.

In some ways Acle is very close to Yarmouth, yet in others separated by a scenic alphabetic and cultural gulf.

I hope this explanation helps you Peter, if only to understand how wise people with diesel engines really are.

Stop it MM! Now I am really confused and I am only half way through my morning cuppa and now my head hurts. 

• Like 1

As I was the one who watched the whole performance I can assure you that the front boat was out on the river on its lonesome some minute before rush headed Harry arrived behind it, so no he wasnt making a meal of it and the boat behind was being stupid.    He did pull back immediately but the boat in front was big enough to see and he should have slowed prior to being right up its tail.    Vaughan you should go to Specsavers,  when I took the shot he was pulling back.

Come on everyone, let's not get too heated over this, we don't want novices reading this and becoming terrified of visiting Wroxham, things happen and unless we're there to witness it first hand then we don't really know the circumstances

MM said about the Helmsman being the experts we dream of becoming, well I AM that expert and I know everything :liar:naughty:

Grace

• Like 7