Fishing.

Poppy

Just now, Gracie said:

Yes, got my licence too, if I can do it anyone can lol

I am not a violent person by nature but if they catch these guys I would like to see a hook stuck in them and it won't be in their mouth either twoguns

Grace

Yup got my oap one again lol

But but but darlin that a real waste of a meat hook just stick a hand grenade up their jacksie's with pin pulled. Stand well back and wait n see if they then like inards played with in a life threatening way. Controversial yes but a dose of own medicine.

Charlie

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Yup got my oap one again lol

But but but darlin that a real waste of a meat hook just stick a hand grenade up their jacksie's with pin pulled. Stand well back and wait n see if they then like inards played with in a life threatening way. Controversial yes but a dose of own medicine.

Charlie

Crumbs bound2 i wouldn't want to cross you, but totally can see where you are coming from.

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, Vaughan said:

Why not drive by close to, and take their lines away? You have every right, since on a navigation, their lines are obstructing your passage.

Fishing line is not very good for the shaft cutless bearing though.

If your gonna get up to these idiotic games then its no wonder swans and other wildlife will get caught up and tangled in loose fishing line and the hooks please anyone reading this DO NOT do this on purpose.:40_rage:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/swan-found-at-ranworth-broad-with-fishing-hook-through-its-tongue-1-4996748

That is no angler's set up. Political correctness prevents me from suggesting that those of a different culture to myself are most likely to be guilty, grrrrrrr.

They need to live by our ways and cultures in our country and not their own, simple as that.

poor swan.

• Like 1

Who is responsible for issuing licences for net (fyke) fishing such as the dory pictured.

It looks like the reg number on the dory is hand painted on, it looks to me like its 537Z.

Also, If that is a 7 with a line through it it makes me question it as thats not the traditional way of writing a number 7. 

I have no problem with licenced eel fishing but I do wonder if the men fishing from the dory are legal or not and maybe we should be looking in to it as if its illegal I doubt they are only taking eel. 

• Like 1

Yep! 539Z is an Orkney Dory with a small cuddy. The boat in question on this forum bears no resemblance even if the cuddy had been cut off.

Possibly a case for a dawn raid in that area.

In thinking back there was a similar boat moored up in "The Fleet" leading into Rockland Broad a couple of years ago. As I went past both the crew looked a bit guilty.

No doubt another case for our super sleuth Wild Fuzz.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

Broads Control confirm that 539Z is registered as an outboard dinghy, looks legit.

That is strange. Are Registration numbers recycled? Anyway, I have sent a pm to Wild Fuzz just in case.

[Edit] Just checked up and the reg number stays on the boat, even if it is taken off the Broads.

• Like 1

Just now, thingamybob said:

That is strange. Are Registration numbers recycled? Anyway, I have sent a pm to Wild Fuzz just in case.

No, your mistake is trusting the Boats of the Norfolk Broads database.  That database is an amateur enterprise, that whilst often useful, and very interesting contains many inaccuracies (I had to correct an entry about my own boat a few years back).  If you look at the image on the database, it is not of 539Z, but of a 'similar boat'.  But this is where the mistake is made, because there are many different Orkney Dorys, of different designs and dimensions.  On this occasion, the database compiler has made an error.  Search Orkney Dory on Google, and look at some of the many second hand boats for sale; you'll find some just like the one those guys are laying eel nets from.

• Like 3

Just now, dnks34 said:

The boat might be legit but it doesnt mean the fishing with nets is!!

great detective work I do hope the powers that be can look into it further.  

If this is illegal activity the culprits need to be stopped. 

Well said. I am very fond of jellied eels and over fishing of this species, not only of the mature eels but also the elvers in part is decimating the fish. 

It could also look like the white underbelly of a pike being pulled onto the boat by the man bending foward, im not certain it is though.

I know the horning.org database isnt the official list but it does say 539Z joined in 2016/17 and the boat name is mary jane an orkney dory 15footer.

I wouldnt say the boat in the picture is 15ft either! 

• Like 1

Again, the database compiler has made an error.  He has seen that Mary Jane is an Orkney Dory, has researched Orkney Dorys briefly and found a 15 footer, and assumed and recorded that as the dimensions of this boat.  Trouble with databases; GIGO.  There are, as I have said, smaller Orkney Dorys with no cuddy.  Some people seem determined to find a problem where there isn't one.  These are almost certainly legitimate eel fishermen, licensed by the EA.  The picture Griff submitted, of the guy with a rod on the back of a boat at Ranworth, is the one you should be pursuing!

• Like 3

Bobdog

How are they almost certainly licensed eel fisherman?  How would I or any other river user know that just by looking at them? 

and "some people" are not determined to find a problem where there isnt one I am very offended by that remark.

The guy on the back of the boat with a rod is breaking the law and should be followed up but isnt harming the environment to the extent the net fisherman are if they are doing it illegally. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

These are almost certainly legitimate eel fishermen, 

Almost certainly isnt certain is it.

They could be ilegally taking fish for the table.

You must have some superior knowledge to the rest of us, the fact its broad daylight and they appear to be dressed for it doesnt necessarily mean anything. 

There is an element of doubt as to the legitament use of these nets. Is it not beyond the authorities to licence these boats and to enable the general public to identify that they have been authorised to fish for eels, and nothing else.

• Like 1