Boat Insurance (well Who'd A Thought It)

TeamElla

We've just had one of the usual promotional emails from an insurance company:-

40% of claims made in the summer months (nothing surprising there)

BUT

Only 10% of claims relate to motorboats

Does that mean that sailies have 90% of the accidents (what other boats are out there that have insurance?)

Steve

• Like 4

Damn canoeists as well. Menace they are crashing into you:bow

i like the statistics anyway. Power boat skippers are obviously far superior to sailie skippers :bow:bow

funny how they still charge us more though?

i think your right about the hire boat companies. I know we got hit a year or so back by a sandersons boat. They were happy to pay for the repair until it got to the thousands. Then they used their insurance. 

In fairness to them they were spot on and very helpful throughout and at no point tried to fob us off. The hirer did report it though which probably helped. 

• Like 1

Be interesting to see if most of those claims are accident or theft.

Sail boats have lots of removable gear such as outboard outside, whereas a motor boat with inboard and cabin is a bit different. Then there's dinghies. I had a road trailer stolen from the club last year ( my insurance wouldn't pay on that )

• 3 weeks later...

I recall a few years ago when I renewed with navigators they sent out a propaganda sheet. One item they proudly mentioned was that they paid out for a new mast for a customer whose mast had been savaged by a woodpecker.  Maybe woodpeckers could be the reason

• Like 1

It was, Slantendicular was moored at Hunters and the skipper was puzzled to find wood shavings on his deck on a couple of occasions  He went a-sailing and found out why, the mast snapped due to a nice hole way up on high....mystery solved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Polly said:

It was, Slantendicular was moored at Hunters and the skipper was puzzled to find wood shavings on his deck on a couple of occasions  He went a-sailing and found out why, the mast snapped due to a nice hole way up on high....mystery solved.

So the mast was damaged by "animal"... as opposed to mineral or vegetable, so how would the same mast be covered if the mast was damaged by another "animal" like... wood worm, how would this be described as different to an attack by one animal, compared to many "animals"  I guess? 

Both animals are chipping away at the wood, final affect is the same, so in theory, they should pay out for woodworm too. 

14 hours ago, Viking23 said:

So the mast was damaged by "animal"... as opposed to mineral or vegetable, so how would the same mast be covered if the mast was damaged by another "animal" like... wood worm, how would this be described as different to an attack by one animal, compared to many "animals"  I guess? 

Both animals are chipping away at the wood, final affect is the same, so in theory, they should pay out for woodworm too. 

It would be an interesting case, and whether they paid out or not might depend on whether there were any signs of infestation that may have been visible during a reasonable maintenance schedule. In the event of a mast breaking due to woodworm, an owner might also find that the insurance company were prepared to cover the cost of any damage to other parts of the boat, other boats, or personal injury, but not the cost of a new mast. In practise though, for a lot of similar claims, it's actually far cheaper for the insurance company to pay out and accept the claim as a cost of doing business than it is for them to spend the money to fight a contested claim.

1 hour ago, teadaemon said:

It would be an interesting case, and whether they paid out or not might depend on whether there were any signs of infestation that may have been visible during a reasonable maintenance schedule. In the event of a mast breaking due to woodworm, an owner might also find that the insurance company were prepared to cover the cost of any damage to other parts of the boat, other boats, or personal injury, but not the cost of a new mast. In practise though, for a lot of similar claims, it's actually far cheaper for the insurance company to pay out and accept the claim as a cost of doing business than it is for them to spend the money to fight a contested claim.

Maybe the woodpeckers were pecking for the wood worm lol.

I always remember the Billy Connolly film, "The Man who Sued God" 

I can imagine some cases doing the round robin, when it reviews "acts of god lol"

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, JawsOrca said:

It could be because when a mobo crosses too closely sailies just aim towards them.... nothing funnier than the look of terror on a mobo's face.. pesky wind does change just when you dont want it..

I can  think of few things less funny than that having been put in just that position on more than one occasion. Oh to be out there among the sailies with a big old tub I didn't care tuppence about.  The look on their faces would be even funnier methinks.

Carole