Inflatable Canoe On The Broads

Snowy

Hello all,

I'm thinking of buying an inflatable canoe, a Sevylor Willamette to be exact,

anyone had one of these and if so what are they like ?

also, what do I need to do to register it for use on the Broads ?

the plan is to use it on areas boats can't get to.

You have choices.  If you're only here for a short while you can buy a short visit toll, which will cost you about £7.00 for a week.  An annual toll for a canoe/kayak, inflatable or otherwise, is about £33.00.  Or you can join the British Canoe Union, who pay a block fee to the BA for all their members, and you can paddle on the Broads 'free' as long as you have your membership card with you. Membership of BCU gets you free third party insurance, regular canoeing magazines, discounts on canoe gear etc etc.

The reason I've picked the Willamette model is that all other models keep appearing on eBay for sale, but the Willamette does not, only brand new, which tells me it must be good, please feel free to shot me down in flames if you know different.

BCU membership will cover you for lots of waterways, but some rivers are 'private'.  BCU campaigns for greater access to waterways, and provides useful advice for paddlers.  Might be worth enquiring whether any suppliers of your chosen kayak offer discounts for the boat you've chosen, and if so get your membership first.  I don't know the boat you're looking at, but in general it's true to say you get what you pay for, so buy the best you can afford. Read some online reviews and see what is said about the one you're looking at.  I have an inflatable 'Sea Eagle' and it's brilliant!  

I would second, or is it third or fourth, the BCU route. Not only are you covered for other waterways, as Bobdog says, you are funding their campaign for greater access to waterways as well as their excellent canoe and water safety training schemes.

If you are going down the inflatable route the Sevylor models are 'middle of the road', not your cheapest, not your best but good quality all the same. The reason you may not be seeing the Williamette model on e-bay is that it is a variant on two existing models being an update for the Hudson and a variant of the Alameda.

Always look for separate inflation bladders in an inflatable kayak. In some models, the outer skin is the actual bladder that contains the air and can be easily punctured on Norfolk Reeds...which are quite sharp up close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowy said:

The reason I've picked the Willamette model is that all other models keep appearing on eBay for sale, but the Willamette does not, only brand new, which tells me it must be good, please feel free to shot me down in flames if you know different.

Or cos they sink :4_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I will definitely go down the BCU route, thank you for all advice on this, out of interest my budget is £300 ish just for the canoe, can anyone recommend an alternative to the make I've so far chosen as number 1 contender

It has to be an inflatable as I have a convertible, hence no roof rack

I'm 6ft 2in and 17st my good lady is a mere slip of a thing, probably weights no more than a bag of crisps 

I'm just worried "my end" of the canoe will be underwater and I'll need a snorkel 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have two rigid kayaks and this year two tolls was cheaper than the BCU, just, but quite honestly I am opposed to the free access across the UK as there are some waters, the upper Waveney & upper Wensum that. conservation wise, would not benefit either from canoe access nor the car parking and access being demanded by the BCU. I was actually on a Broads Authority consultation group with the BCU & I did not like their sheer militancy and all or nothing demands. That aside, I saved a few quid!

Snowy, at 17 stone it not the likelihood of the back end being under water but the middle going down and the two ends going up! Yes, it happened to me at 16 stone! You really do need to have maximum inflation for rigidity. My brother in law has a Sevylor, several years old now, he's well pleased.

57 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I have two rigid kayaks and this year two tolls was cheaper than the BCU, just, but quite honestly I am opposed to the free access across the UK as there are some waters, the upper Waveney & upper Wensum that. conservation wise, would not benefit either from canoe access nor the car parking and access being demanded by the BCU. I was actually on a Broads Authority consultation group with the BCU & I did not like their sheer militancy and all or nothing demands. That aside, I saved a few quid!

Snowy, at 17 stone it not the likelihood of the back end being under water but the middle going down and the two ends going up! Yes, it happened to me at 16 stone! You really do need to have maximum inflation for rigidity. My brother in law has a Sevylor, several years old now, he's well pleased.

Thank you Jenny for your reply, I've done a little more investigation this morning and discovered my local river The Chelmer is not included with BCU as I would only use it on the broads and here, now thinking just pay tolls 

3 hours ago, Snowy said:

I will definitely go down the BCU route, thank you for all advice on this, out of interest my budget is £300 ish just for the canoe, can anyone recommend an alternative to the make I've so far chosen as number 1 contender

It has to be an inflatable as I have a convertible, hence no roof rack

I'm 6ft 2in and 17st my good lady is a mere slip of a thing, probably weights no more than a bag of crisps 

I'm just worried "my end" of the canoe will be underwater and I'll need a snorkel 

The opposite of this then.... :default_norty:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIb42_FS2zftD0hjYgCiy

Does the chelmer actually check for licences on canoes?

• Thanks 1

Well, as you can see, I've brought one, it's bigger than I thought (ohh err misses) and don't for one minute think it will ever fit back in the bag, I will be trying it out on the River Chelmer over the weekend, before venturing onto The Broads in a couple of weeks, I'll post what happens in case someone else is considering buying one, in the words of the Rascal, more as it happens !

IMG_9510.JPG

IMG_9511.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG

• Like 3

About 4 or 5 years ago a new chandlery opened in Wells opposite where The Albatross is berthed. It only made about two seasons and was not stocked like Standard House at the other end of the quay.

What it did stock was what I can only describe as half canoe half inflatable dinghy. Transomed to receive a few horses. I fancied one but then put on my sensible suit (I have an inflatable that never gets used) but I had not seen one before or since. Downside was I think it was about £1000.00.SK430-KaBoat-Specs.thumb.jpg.4ac45ae11c7591201a18cfe590ce40bd.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

About 4 or 5 years ago a new chandlery opened in Wells opposite where The Albatross is berthed. It only made about two seasons and was not stocked like Standard House at the other end of the quay.

What it did stock was what I can only describe as half canoe half inflatable dinghy. Transomed to receive a few horses. I fancied one but then put on my sensible suit (I have an inflatable that never gets used) but I had not seen one before or since. Downside was I think it was about £1000.00.SK430-KaBoat-Specs.thumb.jpg.4ac45ae11c7591201a18cfe590ce40bd.jpg

I like it, be nice with a 12v outboard