Concerto

boatmadmike

I've not hired this boat for the following reasons, so will share here:

There is no lighting whatsoever forward of the galley - you rely on the light from the two lights over the breakfast bar to somehow try and light up the saloon seating area. This is not going to really happen, so if was me a trip to Poundland and a 5W LED light bulb and a trip to Amazon for a clip up bayonet light fitting to plug into the socket in the Saloon and clip up to provide light would sort this - but not exactly what you should need to do.

There are no drawers to put away things, and storage is limited in the galley too. That cupboard to the right over the oven will get very hot when the oven is on - so not a good place to keep things that may  spoil in a warm place.

The bunk beds are very narrow, but long but more suited for a child than adult and again no drawers of hanging space here just the cubby holes under the bottom bunk.

Double berth has a cupboard and hanging space - no drawers mind you - and is much the same as many a double on these forward steer boats, note the heads at the stern of the boat is a lot smaller than the likes of Bronze Gem, Clear Gem etc.

The engine is outside under the aft cover, hydraulic drive - so 'quieter' but you then get that annoying whine throughout the boat of the hydraulic motor driving the propeller, increased fuel burn and to my mind less punchy than a shaft driven engine of the same size you would find on the likes of Clear Gem, Bronze Gem etc.

You do get a full sliding canopy mind you - a more modern and bright  interior with open plan living. I am not sure how well the boat would be suited for out of season cruising, as you have the same usual three heater outlets - saloon, bunk cabin and double cabin but the saloon cannot be closed off so all that heat heads out down the corridor.

Thing is, it is a cheap hire - even Rhapsody which is identical other than the fact you don't have a full sliding canopy  (but do gain lighting int he saloon) costs more per week. http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/rhapsody/ The above might not be an issue for yourself or others, but this is what has put me off this class personally and choose the likes of Bronze Gem over it.

I have hired Rhapsody a few years ago.

As Robin says this is identical to concerto but does not have the opening canopy.

Despite the fact that this was a 4 berth boat and I had her single handed I found the lack of storage space a real problem.

I ended up putting everything in the cabin with the bunk beds.

I would imagiane that storage would certainly be an issue with a family on board.

Not only lack of space for clothes etc but also not a lot of space for food and other supplies.

The cupboard next to the cooker is probably intended to be used as a larder but its proximity to the heat makes it useless for that purpose.

From a navigation point of view I found the boat easy enough to handle and of course the wide side decks that you get on this type of craft do make things safer when mooring up etc.

• Like 1

Hi Mike. I hired Concerto 5 in September 2015 and in the most part thought it excellent value for money. Have a look at my post in the hire boat section which has some internal photos.  http://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/8547-concerto/

There were only two of us aboard but I don't recall any issues with storage. Robin - in fact Concerto and Rhapsody are priced identically (along with all the Bounty 37s bar Topaz which is priced higher for no good reason) so it comes down to personal preference. I always prefer a full sliding roof over a sun roof but that's just me. 

• Like 3

For what it is, I think it looks a fine boat. If the lighting is such a problem , it's quite easily , Inexpensively overcome.

If you go to a 3 star hotel, you don't expect lobster and gold taps, if you pay for 5 star, your expectations are obviously higher.

If it starts in the morning, stays afloat, keeps you dry and is clean when you pick up , you can't go wrong, you will after all be on the broads.

Im not a fan of bathtubs , but when kids were young I had many a good holiday on them. Saying I'm not a fan, it's only the lowdown driving position which takes me to that conclusion .

• Like 4

For me a decent cupboard to shove all of your staples you bring with you (food wise) in the galley is most important.     I find it doesn't matter if you are catering for a month or a weekend you still need the basics.        The cooker looks perfect and normal , not one of these squat versions that have no separate grill.   It looks a smart boat but for two the middle cabin would just be a waste of space.   I suppose it would be useful to chuck all of your coats etc in.

Lights in the cabin would not worry us either as they just zap the battery if you leave them on all evening.   I have invested in a couple of these for the front cabin and galley for our October holiday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AUIMH9S

We've hired Concerto, no pics sorry, what I loved most is the saloon and breakfast bar, very spacious and comfy, didn't have a problem with the lighting, if we needed extra we used our led fishing lantern, we prefer less lights, you can't see much out of the windows at night with all the lights blazing. The bunk bed cabin is really just for small children, teenagers and adults may have a problem. Didn't have problems with storage but we don't take much and we eat out a lot, for us all in all a brilliant boat for what you pay. Any problems we had regarding any of the above, there is always ways round them, if you want all the comforts of home then you need to look at the newer much more expensive boats but Concerto does what she says on the tin, as Neil says. she's on the Broads, she's a boat and she floats, would definitely hire her again

Grace

• Like 6