Hello Everyone

chrisdobson45

As a new member I thought it right and proper to introduce myself.

I took my first boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads when I was 10, with my parents. My father had enjoyed a few holidays in the 1950's, hiring cruisers from Wroxham. There's an album of black & white photographs somewhere that need scanning.

We managed at least one holiday on the Broads until I was 21, then, having moved to Norwich it didn't seem worthwhile holidaying where I lived.

Fast forward to 2017 and my wife & I decided to hire a boat. It was a week of revisiting my past. Everything and nothing had changed, I probably behaved like my father (who died in 2015) when planning our holiday, I found a 1981 edition of the Broads Book and took it with us (along with a couple of modern guides and maps) and we did the same journey as my last previous holiday in 1987 (Wroxham > Acle Bridge > Oulton Broad > Rockland St Mary > Norwich > Thurne Dyke > Stalham > Wroxham).

The Bridge Inn at Acle Bridge was pretty much as I had remembered it (including the menu), as was Oulton Broad. Pleased the showers at Norwich have been modernized. Stalham is a shadow of its former self, the high street looks to be dying a slow death, probably because of the Tesco store. At least the abattoir has closed.

We loved it and will be holidaying again on the Broads this year. Jasper (our 2 year old Black Lab) loved it as well, he just needs to stop jumping in at inopportune moments...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2