Tide Calculator

Smoggy

I may be wrong, but I thought that Bill Maxted of Riverine purchased the rights to Hamiltons from Jamie Campbell. Bill posts occasionally in another place, so it may be worth contacting him.

That's the one thanks guys, once printed twice and laminated with a bit of cutting out and pinning they work a treat, my last one looks a bit dog eared to say the least.

Sorry Jamie or Bill I'm gonna use it anyway..... Not selling obviously.

19 hours ago, JohnK said:

I like that.
Worth having some made, badged with NBN and sold in the shop?

Would there be an appetite for this plus other bits as a mobile app?

The other bits I would see as speed / compass / map, bridge heights and some sort of distance calculator.

13 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I’d buy it.

What would you pay? I don't mean that in a capitalist way, but more what do you see as a sensible price? These things take time to build, obviously...

An Android release would be easy, but it's harder to justify an iOS release because of the costs.

What would you pay? I don't mean that in a capitalist way, but more what do you see as a sensible price? These things take time to build, obviously...
An Android release would be easy, but it's harder to justify an iOS release because of the costs.

Wouldn’t buy android at all.
I’d pay £3 for an iOS version. Or have ads then pay to remove ads maybe?
I tried doing iOS development but Xcode is too much like a proper programming language for me. I’m a VBA / Visual Basic type of programmer (bad programmer if you will )

This is where it gets complicated...

To release an Android app would cost £25, as a one-off fee to set up a developer account. You can develop on Windows, Mac or Linux - A £100 PC would do the job.

To release an iOS app would mean £79 a year as a developer, plus the development tools only work on a Mac. And some stuff only works on a real Mac, so you'd need one of those. Take the cheapest Mac Mini and spec it with 8GB of RAM to make it usable and you've just spent another £569. Let's assume that's got a five-year life span, so total cost over the five years of £964 (plus a bit for the developer cost going up). 

Apple take a 40% cut, so realistically the iOS app would need to sell £350 a year just to cover costs... 

And they wonder why they're losing market share.

• Like 2

This is where it gets complicated...
To release an Android app would cost £25, as a one-off fee to set up a developer account. You can develop on Windows, Mac or Linux - A £100 PC would do the job.
To release an iOS app would mean £79 a year as a developer, plus the development tools only work on a Mac. And some stuff only works on a real Mac, so you'd need one of those. Take the cheapest Mac Mini and spec it with 8GB of RAM to make it usable and you've just spent another £569. Let's assume that's got a five-year life span, so total cost over the five years of £964 (plus a bit for the developer cost going up). 
Apple take a 40% cut, so realistically the iOS app would need to sell £350 a year just to cover costs... 
And they wonder why they're losing market share.

Ok, you do the cheap android version and I’ll do the pukka iOS one
I think I have everything required except being registered as an Apple developer.
I’ve been looking for something I want to develop to give me an excuse to learn it properly. This could be a good excuse. At the very least I’ll have something I can run on my own phone.
Have you thought about how to get tide times? Read a website? Input tide tables? Rough approximation?

17 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Have you thought about how to get tide times? Read a website? Input tide tables? Rough approximation?

Yes I have...

If you'd like to see it on iOS, probably proposing a competitor isn't the best way forward :default_norty:

• Haha 1

I would Pay a fiver. Well worth it. Options would be nice.

plug in days on water and places to visit and output optimised route using tides to reduce fuel.

plug in destination and give best times to leave, could colour code for optimisation.

plug in leaving time output could ne a you must be joking you will uses 50% more fuel this way!

:)

• Like 1

It's still an important market, it just doesn't have the market share it did.

The stats show both major platforms increasing, but it's not that simple. We're talking about people who will actually BUY apps, rather than just owners of a device.

• Thanks 1