Liveaboard Facilities

BoF

Hi,

I had a great short break away on the Northern Broads from the 19th March on board the Golden Bridge out of Bridge Craft. Excellent service by the way.

The rivers were empty and I noticed the number of Liveaboards moored up or out and about and this got me wondering about all sorts of ‘things’. 

I know there are numerous Liveaboards on the canals and they seem to have reasonable access to all the ‘normal’ services, such as marinas with a laundry for general use and some marinas taking pre-notified parcel deliveries for free or a small fee. There is a lot of information out there about where the nearest pharmacy is, where the nearest doctor or dentists are, that sort of thing.

Is there anything similar for the Broads?

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

:default_hiding:

Glad you had a pleasant trip, as a liveaboarder outside of the broads (on a government approved residential berth which  has full benefits just as a landlubber would get in return for council tax) short answer no.. The broads authority et al actively discourage (you may say discriminate) against those that chose such lifestyle for a number of reasons (founded and unfounded).  People do stay afloat and manage to work out ways to do so but there are limited facilities.  I would love to move to the broads but I wouldn't dream of doing so anytime soon. 

Please can we not have too many fireworks people.. I guess it's been sometime since this topic has arisen but let's all eat chocolate and be merry..

• Like 4

To be honest it no where near as set up to live afloat here compared to the canal system , some seam to think its a good idea to leave folks with huge problem's even getting water in winter , me I'm kinda self contained as in I can do the laundry onboard , parcel delivery is tough but its easy enough to find companies on eBay that do click an collect to Argos n maul wise that's relatively easy as are doctors and dentists , the water situation is really a the bug bearer i especially in winter , its rather stupid that in the 21st century councils and BA can't provide even this most basic of essentials 

3 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

:default_hiding:

Glad you had a pleasant trip, as a liveaboarder outside of the broads (on a government approved residential berth which  has full benefits just as a landlubber would get in return for council tax) short answer no.. The broads authority et al actively discourage (you may say discriminate) against those that chose such lifestyle for a number of reasons (founded and unfounded).  People do stay afloat and manage to work out ways to do so but there are limited facilities.  I would love to move to the broads but I wouldn't dream of doing so anytime soon. 

Please can we not have too many fireworks people.. I guess it's been sometime since this topic has arisen but let's all eat chocolate and be merry..

Totally agree especially with the last paragraph .

7 minutes ago, finny said:

Living on a boat on the broads does not fit in with the National Park image with the current broads Authority yet around the country seems to do ok .........thats the biggest hurdle

finny  

Current Broads Authority...........could this mean that we may be due a new one?!!!!

:default_biggrin:

Back on topic for Liveaboard facilities there are laundrettes within walking distance of the river, I can only think of 2 the first being in Wroxham before the road bridge (if still there I havent been recently) and one in Chedgrave down from the BA moorings in Loddon.  Some private marinas also have laundry facilities and Oulton Yacht Station does to. 

5 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Current Broads Authority...........could this mean that we may be due a new one?!!!!

:default_biggrin:

Now I have to say that after being on here for a while now, but I seem to get the jist that after viewing many comments about the BA, the IQ isn't that high in that department!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Back on topic for Liveaboard facilities there are laundrettes within walking distance of the river, I can only think of 2 the first being in Wroxham before the road bridge (if still there I havent been recently) and one in Chedgrave down from the BA moorings in Loddon.  Some private marinas also have laundry facilities and Oulton Yacht Station does to. 

And beccles too .

1 minute ago, KaptinKev said:

Please help me on this one but what are you trying to say?

Drinking, holding flag and saying no no means not a lot to me

I think Charlies signature is our fallen member "Ian's" emoticon as a memory to his work on the forum..

The no no is relating to adding fuel on the National Park fire...

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

To be honest it no where near as set up to live afloat here compared to the canal system , some seam to think its a good idea to leave folks with huge problem's even getting water in winter , me I'm kinda self contained as in I can do the laundry onboard , parcel delivery is tough but its easy enough to find companies on eBay that do click an collect to Argos n maul wise that's relatively easy as are doctors and dentists , the water situation is really a the bug bearer i especially in winter , its rather stupid that in the 21st century councils and BA can't provide even this most basic of essentials 

The fresh water situation, or lack of it, was very noticeable whilst I was up there. There was no water at Barton Turf or Salhouse Broad, I presumed because of the bad weather(?). There was the usual issue at Ludhan Bridge with people filling their water tanks, then wandering off for a walk, thus blocking access to the water stand, but that is probably another topic.

1 minute ago, brundallNavy said:

If your going to become a live aboard please don’t litter the banks with rubbish..(rant over).

Sadly, a lot of people litter the banks with rubbish, not just people who may be termed "livaboards". I think that statement applies to everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

If your going to become a live aboard please don’t litter the banks with rubbish..(rant over).

All honesty (although is suspect you've seen) that could be anyone.. considering the bin setup here in the broads national park... 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, grendel said:

I think you are being told off for mentioning Broads and National Park in the same breath

It wasn't me, but Finny the post was aimed at. Although the emoticons have been removed now looking at my screen!

• Haha 1

There is a certain amount of prejudice and hostility to people who opt to live on their boats all year round. Not unlike that directed to the travelling or gypsy community. This prejudice tends to come from people who through ignorance or their own entrenched views, have not taken the time or made the effort to get to know people. It is also because a small minority of those who do opt for an alternative lifestyle create a nuisance to others . Again, not dissimilar to the traveller or gypsy or Roma communities. 

• Like 5