Liveaboard Facilities

BoF

1 minute ago, socrates said:

Sadly, a lot of people litter the banks with rubbish, not just people who may be termed "livaboards". I think that statement applies to everyone.

Exactly iv seen some appalling littering by both hire and private none live afloat personal , true life afloat boaters respect their surrounding's and leave only foot print's , to be honest there's been a lot of talk about the bins situation I don't find a problem iv sussed out where they are in the south n its kept onboard until I get to one .

1 minute ago, KaptinKev said:

It wasn't me, but Finny the post was aimed at. Although the emoticons have been removed now looking at my screen!

sorry, I wasnt paying attention, I dont see they have been removed, there are two main mild rebukes moderators use one the :default_eusa_naughty: is a warning that Broadscot (one of our sadly departed moderators) used  to use - the :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:being a tribute to him.

The other is the warning I placed :ics_unifsmall: the Q flag meaning you are standing into danger.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, socrates said:

There is a certain amount of prejudice and hostility to people who opt to live on their boats all year round. Not unlike that directed to the travelling or gypsy community. This prejudice tends to come from people who through ignorance or their own entrenched views, have not taken the time or made the effort to get to know people. It is also because a small minority of those who do opt for an alternative lifestyle create a nuisance to others . Again, not dissimilar to the traveller or gypsy or Roma communities. 

And its a no brainer in my view . let the boat yards do the work - everyone pays their dues boat yards retain income plus built in security plus other benefits all out of sight ......it really does not have to be so harsh on the National Park that is really just the broads :default_biggrin:

finny  

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

sorry, I wasnt paying attention, I dont see they have been removed, there are two main mild rebukes moderators use one the :default_eusa_naughty: is a warning that Broadscot (one of our sadly departed moderators) used  to use - the :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:being a tribute to him.

The other is the warning I placed :ics_unifsmall: the Q flag meaning you are standing into danger.

Now I understand, thanks for that:6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

If your going to become a live aboard please don’t litter the banks with rubbish..(rant over).

That goes for all boaters regardless , trust me as someone who lives afloat I see far more than most do on my travels n its certainly not all live a boards though I will accept there's an eminent that don't care but its certainly not all down to them , my motto is If it doesn't fit on the boat then it ain't required and since I don't own the land iv absolutely no right to clog up the banks/ footpaths etc n nor does anyone  else .

The water situation in winter is ridiculous,  it is hardly great in the summer.

In Medway the water is drained on the pontoons at the end of November and reconnected in April, ( this limits the use of my boat on the Medway ), an identical system to the Norfolk marina,  except the water is connected all year in Norfolk.

With suitable pipework and insulation there is no reason to turn the water off in winter.

• Like 1

Just now, grendel said:

Ricardo, somehow your post got repeated about 6 times, I have removed the duplicates

Thanks , probably wana remove my explanation too since it makes no sense now :default_biggrin:

1 minute ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The water situation in winter is ridiculous,  it is hardly great in the summer.

In Medway the water is drained on the pontoons at the end of November and reconnected in April, ( this limits the use of my boat on the Medway ), an identical system to the Norfolk marina,  except the water is connected all year in Norfolk.

With suitable pipework and insulation there is no reason to turn the water off in winter.

Yes, I just don't understand why the (shall we all them the Authorities?) don't insulate the pipes and leave the water on, it can't be that difficult to do. And, why do they turn the power off? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, socrates said:

Yes, I just don't understand why the (shall we all them the Authorities?) don't insulate the pipes and leave the water on, it can't be that difficult to do. And, why do they turn the power off? 

Exactly when are people most likely to need facilities n it ain't just those that live afloat there are plenty of syndicate boats out in winter and the odd hire craft all of who me struggle , last yr BA and the councils conducted a survey to find out what people on the river etc required n yet they took nothing of what they were told onboard not one single thing .

3 minutes ago, socrates said:

I think the power issue has been answered in a previous thread, as for the water, it may be that below freezing conditions, maintenance and public use may not mix financially.

I do not wish to join this thread. However it occurs to me that maybe the very small size of The Broads....Not much over 100km for a craft that is practical to live on, when compared to the rest of the UK waterways in excess of 3500km may be the reason why there is an anti movement. I have no knowledge of the practicalities, but should I wish to follow an itinerant lifestyle ( which I find very attractive but am now a bit long in the tooth ) I would choose the freedom of the canals and major rivers over the landlocked Broads. ( I say landlocked because few boats are designed to safely escape The Broads )

20 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I do not wish to join this thread. However it occurs to me that maybe the very small size of The Broads....Not much over 100km for a craft that is practical to live on, when compared to the rest of the UK waterways in excess of 3500km may be the reason why there is an anti movement. I have no knowledge of the practicalities, but should I wish to follow an itinerant lifestyle ( which I find very attractive but am now a bit long in the tooth ) I would choose the freedom of the canals and major rivers over the landlocked Broads. ( I say landlocked because few boats are designed to safely escape The Broads )

As someone who lived on the canals and went round pretty much all of it I agree to a point but I totally disagree as to that's the reason why some are anti , most of the anti comes from the not in my back yard group nothing to do with the infrastructure more to do with I dont want you here cos I'm here strategy .

26 minutes ago, finny said:

I really believe the facilities are removed to discourage longer than normal stop overs out of season . one of the considerations i had when selling my boat as we used her more out of season 

finny

That's possible but BA tend to be far more relaxed in winter , that said Norwich, reedham, and Yarmouth all revert back to council in winter so perhaps its unfair to blame BA but then again BA should stand up for the facilities that they provide for boater's regardless of the time of yr and costs coming I believe from the navigation/ tolls account , councils need to wake up it costs them nothing to provide those facilities they have been paid for by others ie those that wish to use them .

40 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

I think the power issue has been answered in a previous thread, as for the water, it may be that below freezing conditions, maintenance and public use may not mix financially.

Does it not freeze in loddon ?  as that's left on by the council ! Were as Norwich is off as is Yarmouth and reedham you need your own hose as BA take their hose away .

If the powers that be permitted a small percentage of berths per yard to be allowed for liveaboard or even those just passing through short term but do liveaboard then all the above could be quite easily put in place with very little effort to the BA itself .

finny 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Does it not freeze in loddon ?  as that's left on by the council ! Were as Norwich is off as is Yarmouth and reedham you need your own hose as BA take their hose away .

All boats need to use a hose to fill up their boats that is supplied and left in hopefully a coiled up state. With the freezing conditions we have had of lately, anything supplying water outside and that includes the tap even if the pipe is well insulated, problems will occur and will not be in the suppliers interest 

14 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

All boats need to use a hose to fill up their boats that is supplied and left in hopefully a coiled up state. With the freezing conditions we have had of lately, anything supplying water outside and that includes the tap even if the pipe is well insulated, problems will occur and will not be in the suppliers interest 

The pipes didn't freeze up on the above ground pontoons in Brundall,  my hosepipe that I left out overnight was a different matter. :default_biggrin:

I've said it before, and no doubt I'll be saying it again, but the problem is one of perception. The 'proper' live aboard cannot be recognised as being one. No mess, no overstaying and a boat looking like it just came out of a mooring and the owner is on holiday. There are quite a few about, but you wouldn't know them as such.

The live aboards we know and see, have scruffy untolled boats, piles of crap on the bank and are unfriendly. These people respect nothing and only have time for themselves.

These are the people who make the lives of the likes of Ricardo hell, and it's these people who give the whole live aboard community a bad name.

I think I'm yet to meet Ricardo in the flesh but look forwards to it. I rarely disagree with what he says (though often think he could phrase it better)  but see him and hid like as an asset to the broadland community. The BA would do well to assist such people. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3