Liveaboard Facilities

BoF

I've said it before, and no doubt I'll be saying it again, but the problem is one of perception. The 'proper' live aboard cannot be recognised as being one. No mess, no overstaying and a boat looking like it just came out of a mooring and the owner is on holiday. There are quite a few about, but you wouldn't know them as such.

The live aboards we know and see, have scruffy untolled boats, piles of crap on the bank and are unfriendly. These people respect nothing and only have time for themselves.

These are the people who make the lives of the likes of Ricardo hell, and it's these people who give the whole live aboard community a bad name.

MM - Bang on the Money or a Spot on post - I like it, like it a lot and agree 100%

Griff

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The live aboards we know and see, have scruffy untolled boats, piles of crap on the bank and are unfriendly.

Griff, as much as I want to bite my tongue and probably should any by all means no hard feelings here, but I have to disagree. 

With work I meet loads of boaters all over the country (and europe), some of which are liveaboarders and some have lots and some have very little. It's not an easy life for some but the majority of boaters are hugely friendly, rich or poor, including some of the unfriendly ones on the broads. 

Is a large part of the problem could be that the broads and inland boaters perhaps have a problem of perception themselves, they consider themselves to be better than everyone else...?

I am not living on a boat, but over time I have begun to meet people who are, and especially over the Christmas period when the hire boatyards are closed apart from the odd brave soul out braving the cold on their own boats, the majority of river users you will see and meet are those who are living on board their boats.

I found them to be very nice, easy to get along with and helpful but also what struck me was the sense of community there was with people knowing others and helping with something, or knowing somebody who could and I realised that this was all going on all of the year. Now sure, there are the odd bad apples who will litter and cause issues but that surly has nothing to do with the fact they live on a boat and is down to their own character.

There are also Marina's who might allow one to live on board their boat so long as they do so quietly and within the marina's rules that apply to all berth holders so you do not go erecting berth side sheds, or otherwise causing any problems and when you meet and talk to such people living in these marinas they are really settled and happy. Of course, that lifestyle does not suit everyone because you might like to move every few days and frankly may not wish to pay a few thousand pounds a year in berthing fees.

The fact is, these people are people with needs and rights and the Broads Authority need to wake up and stop trying to ignore the fact  that these are not just boat shells, but boats with people living on them - whose boat is all they may have and so require and should expect (after all they pay their Toll like everyone else) provisions of basic needs like water year round. At least leave the damn hoses in place and give people the chance. If it freezes then that is mother nature, but to remove water hoses causes no end of issues and worse still if they are turning off hoses at a stop cock so those who have their own water hose cannot avail themselves of the water point.

I don't think that the liveaboard community should have facilities solely provided for them, but that any boater should have a minimum standard both provided from the local Councils and Broads Authority from public toilets that are open all year, to water and refuse services. It is not much to ask for really - the rest we can do ourselves like finding a laundrette, a place to buy some more gas and so on.

One thing I would say though, living on a boat is a big change and one I have been contemplating myself - the biggest issue if you want to call it that is downsizing and needing to understand the limitations one has on a boat compared to a home. You just can't keep all the things you have been keeping at home - from pictures on the wall, to space for clothes and shoes. Even if you can power them, things you might use without thought at home in the kitchen suddenly need somewhere to go - a microwave and toaster seem tiny in the average kitchen but in an average boat galley soon begin to fill up valuable space. So go eyes wide open into things.

My final thoughts would be to keep an open mind and respect people. I don't care if a person lives in a council flat or a 6 bedroom huge detached house, I care only about how they person is and how we may get along not their job or history etc. Quite why people would ever look down upon someone who lives on a boat I know not.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

We have used our boat throughout the winter and it is frustrating to find the facilities closed , I understand the shops (well some of) having a closed period due to the economics of their business.

What I feel aggrieved by is, as others have commented, is the lack of basic yet essential facilities.

We pay an annual toll licence fee , no where does it say that we are not permitted to cruise out of season so is it unreasonable to expect that basics of facilities are maintained , unless of course the BA employees are also on a reduced wage ? as they have less to do.

All the live aboards we have encountered have been friendly and approachable and yes that also includes some whose pride and joy doesn’t fit the ideals of the picturesque Broads, they also provide a year round set of eyes for fellow boaters often spotting things which the Broads Beat simply cannot due to lack of resources.

Provided tolls are paid along with third party insurance I feel they are a valuable asset to The Broads whether their boats are shiny or otherwise , most keep the area they are moored clean and refuse free, don’t burn quay headings with barbecues and are not seen to leave dog mess either on the ground or bagged hanging from the nearest tree.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We pay an annual toll licence fee , no where does it say that we are not permitted to cruise out of season so is it unreasonable to expect that basics of facilities are maintained , unless of course the BA employees are also on a reduced wage ? as they have less to do.

It’s my understanding there are less employees over the winter period.
I’d guess that the tolls reflect needing less people over winter.
I suppose the BA would say they’d keep everything open all year if that’s what people want but tolls would need to increase proportionally.
All the above based entirely on guesswork
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JohnK said:

It’s my understanding there are less employees over the winter period.
I’d guess that the tolls reflect needing less people over winter.
I suppose the BA would say they’d keep everything open all year if that’s what people want but tolls would need to increase proportionally.
All the above based entirely on guesswork emoji57.png

Its not BA its the councils that take away the facilities at Yarmouth ,reedham, and Norwich simply because BA only lease it got part of the yr , however as landlords they should be responsible for handing it back to BA for the new season in a fit state , BA spend 1-2 weeks readying the yacht station at Norwich every yr n thats money that comes out of tolls .

The facilities are still there just turned off and in the case of Norwich the water is turned off not just the hose's removed , even if they left one tap on that's better than nothing as most boaters have their own hose onboard .

Sure there are less employees but that just the seasonal ones the rest remain and that's basically because there's less traffic .

The survey I referred to earlier was instigated by the councils in conjunction with BA and I got an invitation via BA to speak to a representative back in February , a report was drawn up but absolutely no action on the points raised has taken place , sure it affects those how live afloat but it also affects this in syndicates and those that hire out of season.  Do the councils and BA want the Broads and surrounding areas to be know as a place only open with full facilities for part of the yr ? .

Tolls wouldn't need to rise as the facilities are already there and patrols are still about therefore can keep an eye on things .