Broads Authority To Have A New Chairman!

In the interests of balance, the recent incumbent, Jacqui Burgess kindly sent the other candidate's vision - Haydn Thirtle, a ward councillor serving Great Yarmouth and a Norfolk County Councillor elected last year to represent the people of West Flegg:

" Hello All,
As the current vice-chairman of the Authority and one of the two candidates for election as Chair on Friday, I thought this might be a good time to remind colleagues of what the role of the Chairman actually is - to chair the meeting of the Authority effectively, ensuring that the full range of Member's views are heard before decisions are taken.
It is the Members themselves who are the decision makers, approaching the issues with an open mind, taking account of all the views expressed and asking themselves always : is this in the best interests of The Broads? Those decisions are arrived at by consensus and , once made, Members are bound by collective responsibility - a point stressed by the Peer Review Team.
The Broads plan 2017 is the key instrument that drives our agenda.
It is also important to remind ourselves that the Broads Authority is a non-political organisation and, as such, can only function effectively if politics are left at the door- another of the key points made by the Peer Review Team.
I believe that great opportunities are on the horizon-the Glover review of all National Parks is a prime example. As guardians of an internationally recognised spectacular and beautiful wetland landscape, we must work to build strong collaborative relationships with toll payers, local authorities, local enterprise board, parishes and the entire spectrum of stakeholders.
We, as members, are the ambassadors, promoting The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads with professionalism, bold aspiration, and a keen understanding for the benefit of current and future generations.
Kind to all, Haydn Thirtle. "

It seems clear where Ms Burges's vote will be cast. What a shame we don't have a vote, eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think Jacqui Burgess was quite right to send you Hadyn Thirtle's  vision and I would not be at all surprised if some of you may disappointed by Fridays events. In fact personally I think it is a shame that more candidates did not put themselves forward -surely the job is sufficiently important to attract more than only two applicants?

I have no inside track and no special or particular interest in having either elected, as long as they do their job and have the contacts and interests of not just the Broads users but others in the area too. It is often forgotten that the BA's responsibilities extend beyond the interest of boaters -  it is quite apparent where the majority of this Forums support would go and this without hearing from the other party involved. I have no inkling of Haydn's track record of being Vice Chair and whether he will be more or less an effective candidate than Ms Hempsall but the posts do indicate just what issues may arise if, not when, the general public ever get a vote!

Nearly there though and we do not have long to wait - I have my views and we shall now have to wait and as they say, we will see!!!

1 hour ago, marshman said:

I think Jacqui Burgess was quite right to send you Hadyn Thirtle's  vision and I would not be at all surprised if some of you may disappointed by Fridays events. In fact personally I think it is a shame that more candidates did not put themselves forward -surely the job is sufficiently important to attract more than only two applicants?

I have no inside track and no special or particular interest in having either elected, as long as they do their job and have the contacts and interests of not just the Broads users but others in the area too. It is often forgotten that the BA's responsibilities extend beyond the interest of boaters -  it is quite apparent where the majority of this Forums support would go and this without hearing from the other party involved. I have no inkling of Haydn's track record of being Vice Chair and whether he will be more or less an effective candidate than Ms Hempsall but the posts do indicate just what issues may arise if, not when, the general public ever get a vote!

Nearly there though and we do not have long to wait - I have my views and we shall now have to wait and as they say, we will see!!!

Does Haydn actually have a track record apart from waste bins? Did he actually write his own 'vision' or was that kindly supplied by Jacqui and suitably amended by John? From a point of personalities I have no great feeling as to whom should win, however, I do not want another subservient Packman Poodle as chairperson. JP does have his strengths and in many respects I should hate to lose them but he is not the Broads Authority, he's there to serve and advise that body rather than to control, manipulate and lead it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/07/2018 at 21:43, kingfisher666 said:

I'm afraid I'm always dubious of 'career' or would be 'career politicians'. They'll generally tell you what you want to hear, to get elected/chosen.  But, gaining the position is nothing more than another grip up the greasy pole or tick on their C.V., hopefully on their way to bigger things. The two people mentioned, appear to have their 'fingers in a lot of pies' and I wonder perhaps, will they be spreading themselves too thinly, considering their many other 'interests'.

You may feel, I have a rather jaundiced view of politicians, or would be politicians and you'd be right. Sorry, but I just don't trust them to be impartial, regarding the decisions they make, particularly when those who could influence, furthering their political careers, are watching...

Absolute rubbish, your so called "jaundiced view" of politicians is perfectly jusified, and a view i`m in total agreement with.  All too often, politicians of all parties promise this and that, but deliver, more often than not, completely the opposite. It`s also worth looking behind the scenes at their personal wealth and interests to understand where their true loyalties lie.  People must remember, ALL politicians are only interested in votes, nothing more, nothing less, so when they come knocking on your door (if you`re lucky?), tell them to stop lying and sod off.

• Like 2

Neil, I don't understand your views of authority figures but I can't see it's helpful for you really.  I really don't believe you can attach broad labels like that on anyone and it show you in a good light if you do.

Can someone please ever so kindly help answer some questions for this as my understanding of the BA is a bit sheltered and again it's one reason I like the NBN; Who chose these candidates? Why JP's name not down as a chairman? Who's going to vote for these people into the roles? Did Lana get kicked out of the BA some time ago? If so how is she back, and is she "hated" and therefore it's really a one man race? Can either of these people force big changes and potentially remove the CEO from office? 

Sorry for my ignorance and stupid questions, I really only use the broads to escape from the world and don't really follow the politics only what is reported here (and elsewhere)..

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Neil, I don't understand your views of authority figures but I can't see it's helpful for you really.  I really don't believe you can attach broad labels like that on anyone and it show you in a good light if you do.

Can someone please ever so kindly help answer some questions for this as my understanding of the BA is a bit sheltered and again it's one reason I like the NBN; Who chose these candidates? Why JP's name not down as a chairman? Who's going to vote for these people into the roles? Did Lana get kicked out of the BA some time ago? If so how is she back, and is she "hated" and therefore it's really a one man race? Can either of these people force big changes and potentially remove the CEO from office? 

Sorry for my ignorance and stupid questions, I really only use the broads to escape from the world and don't really follow the politics only what is reported here (and elsewhere)..

Thanks in advance!

JP is CEO so I so I suspect is ineligible to stand. 

Those voting are the members of the Broads Authority. 

Lana was suspended some time ago for airing her very honest opinion of an officer of the Authority. A number of people saw it as a personal spat between herself and Packman.

Lana is back because she is an elected representative of her local council and that council insisted that she remain in her position on the Authority stating that it was not up to JP to fire elected representatives.

She might be hated by some but equally she's loved by others.

Who chose the candidates? I'm darn certain that JP had a hand in choosing one of them! As for the other, I can only guess :default_icon_liar:!

Can either force big changes in just one year? If Lana is prepared to stand up to JP then yes, I suspect that she can.

Not so much whether either can remove the CEO, more a case of would JP wish to be subservient to the Authority Chairperson, especially a lady that he once attempted to fire?

• Like 8

Two things came out of the meeting for me, one being the undiluted BNP propaganda pouring out of the outgoing chairlady. The other issue being the Acle Bridge project. I spoke to two Authority members, both who confirmed that JP had gone ahead with the architectural competition without support from the committee. It would seem that he is trying to steam-roller the committee into supporting his vision. However, an important admission was levered out of a seemingly unwilling JP, the Authority has yet to decide whether to proceed with the project.  

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

A not unexpected result, Lana seven votes, Hayden twelve. I would like to have seen a closer margin but there we go. The real positive is that Packman does not have 100% support! 

That's democracy for you, sometimes you don't get the result you want. But, I'm sure you'll accept it with good grace...

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Two things came out of the meeting for me, one being the undiluted BNP propaganda pouring out of the outgoing chairlady. The other issue being the Acle Bridge project. I spoke to two Authority members, both who confirmed that JP had gone ahead with the architectural competition without support from the committee. It would seem that he is trying to steam-roller the committee into supporting his vision. However, an important admission was levered out of a seemingly unwilling JP, the Authority has yet to decide whether to proceed with the project.  

What really gets my goat is how much money has already been wasted by the cash strapped Authority on a project that I now read hasnt even been given the go ahead!!!

Its a great shame Lana didnt get in, from what I read of her I think she wouldnt have been afraid to ruffle feathers and I honestly believe with Lana as Chair things would certainly have started changing for the better.  Very sadly a missed opportunity. 

I think its pretty obvious who will continue pulling the strings going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dnks34 said:

I think its pretty obvious who will continue pulling the strings going forward. 

Isn't that what the C.E.O. is there to do?...