What Might We Reasonably Expect Of Nbn?

JennyMorgan

Facebook is great for somethings. Lose your dog/child/grandma etc. and a post on there will usually help you find  them double quick. Want to look back at a post you saw last week? Forget it, you will be scrolling all day if you can't remember who posted it.

It doesn't help that Facebook decides for itself what posts to show you so it is easy to miss something, in the forums you can just go to Unread posts, or posts from the last 24/48 hours etc. or search for what you want.

• Like 3

I'm at a loss to understand why people who choose not to sign up to Facebook care about what is written or goes on overthere!

If the admin of NBN choose to also run a facebook group then surely that is up to them. Those of us who have no interest in FB should just enjoy life over here.

I suspect that in time NBN forum will die a natural death as I suspect it attracts members of a certain age. Much more likely is that the FB group will survive and flourish providing it is prepared to evolve with changing tastes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

I'm at a loss to understand why people who choose not to sign up to Facebook care about what is written or goes on overthere!

If the admin of NBN choose to also run a facebook group then surely that is up to them. Those of us who have no interest in FB should just enjoy life over here.

I suspect that in time NBN forum will die a natural death as I suspect it attracts members of a certain age. Much more likely is that the FB group will survive and flourish providing it is prepared to evolve with changing tastes.

I agree with that as long as the assurances we have been given regarding the two being completely separate entities with no interaction between the two transpires, where I disagree is that if current news reports are anything to go by then maybe FB groups could well die before the forum does, strange as it may seem to some books are still more popular than Kindle, new is not necessarily better its what it destroys in the process that's the problem.

Fred

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

new is not necessarily better its what it destroys in the process that's the problem.

That is so true. I am also inclined to agree with you that fb groups may well die before the forum does. There is so much good and useful information readily available on here that I believe makes the forum the ‘go to’ for help. Younger members may disagree but there will (I think) always be the older element looking for guidance/help/information. That is partly because many hirers buy their own vessel when they retire or are getting near to it and that’s when the nitty gritty questions arise and help is needed. Also older hirers may well be in a position to holiday more than once a year on the Broads. The forum is easy to use and answers to questions never seem to be very long in appearing. All in all I think the forum has a long future ahead of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I agree think the forum will last longer then the Facebook  group.In fact Twitter,Snapchat  etc are growing .So Facebook may die out or change over time.

Yep, I don't nessasarily think FB will survive the test of time hense the reason it is essential to remain flexible and bend with the wind.

The reason I think the Forum may die (all fora not particularly NBN) is that Forums come and go on a regular basis. People will move on and support whatever platform satisfies their needs.

There are one or two diehards that will defend their cherished forum even when most have deserted it but these days people will go where the action is. It might be NBN forum for a bit longer, it might not.

But it's the members here (most anyway) that I enjoy not the platform which is just a tool.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Yep, I don't nessasarily think FB will survive the test of time hense the reason it is essential to remain flexible and bend with the wind.

The reason I think the Forum may die (all fora not particularly NBN) is that Forums come and go on a regular basis. People will move on and support whatever platform satisfies their needs.

There are one or two diehards that will defend their cherished forum even when most have deserted it but these days people will go where the action is. It might be NBN forum for a bit longer, it might not.

But it's the members here (most anyway) that I enjoy not the platform which is just a tool.

Lots of tools on here too...... :default_coat:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

As a dinasour I have to disagree, regarding new members I think Google is far more pertinant than facebook and for the NBN or any other forum to survive its position  when people do a google search is first priority.

Fred