Old Woodies

ExSurveyor

7 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Having seen a post by Janet Anne on the imminent destruction of a wooden boat, I have a question?

Is any timber salvaged for use on other restorations and repairs ?

Some of the interior and possible the cabin side might be used else where but the planking is next to uselesss unless you have a wood burner, lots of the inside can be reused as these are becoming very hard to find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I replied on the other thread, i am watching a youtube channel about the building of a boat, and they have bought a similar boat and plan to reuse all of the bronze fittings and a lot of the interior as well as the engine and propellor, from the donor boat, as the donor boat is so rotten that they would have to do more work to repair it than they need to do to build their new boat, and it is easier to build from the keel up than replace the keel in an existing boat and repair all of the rot elsewhere in it.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I visited our nearby and highly recommended boat building training centre. A number of interesting old 'woodies' being well restored there. As far as internals are concerned it does appear to be more a case of replica internal fit outs although there does appear to be a growing demand for restored hulls with modern, all singing, all dancing fit outs. In other words salvaged internals are unlikely to fit other than the hulls that they came out of. 

• Like 1

Mahogany planking tends to go soft along the edges however a few years ago I acquired the side of a cruiser that had been broken up. We ended up with about 20 planks with the edges missing but once salvaged with the middle 3 inches or so cut and machined, 20 lengths of some of the best genuine mahogany I have ever used. It had the proper brown richness you'd expect rather than the pink look of todays offerings. That wood became door frames, trims, edgings etc.

• Like 4

Another factor in regard to internal fit outs is that people of today are both longer and rounder, sometimes much rounder than folk of a previous age. For example there is one delightful sailing boat at the training centre, the owners of which are both over a fathom tall, a narrow, five foot six bunk has its obvious limitations!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Another factor in regard to internal fit outs is that people of today are both longer and rounder, sometimes much rounder than folk of a previous age. For example there is one delightful sailing boat at the training centre, the owners of which are both over a fathom tall, a narrow, five foot six bunk has its obvious limitations!

I believe that yacht has been there over 12 years, my own boat has been there 4.5 years  and still has lots to do. 

I have noticed that commonly heard phrases before any job commences on an old wooden boat are 'Did you hang on to', 'where did we put the old', 'is there any of the  old [insert boat part] left', 'we need to find a bit of old', 'if we had some of the old'...oh and 'if we can't find an old [insert appropriate bit of boat] it's going to be expensive'!

• Like 2

Thats OK Tim, most of the old "*****" for RT is stashed in the wet shed bay behind her (somewhere), the only bits that were intentionally binned were rotten bits of old "*****" that had been lovingly recrafted, and werent big enough to make something smaller from the remaining good bit in the middle. oh and the old floorboards that went missing in her travels.

4 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

It’s the clinker half decker in the corner by the workshop. I believe new ribs are next to be done. 

44DE4D8D-67D6-453A-B592-461D1D706A10.jpeg

I remember admiring her lines and being curious as to her history / details which no one was able to help me with. Is that a Duckling on top of her, or a moulded cabin top?

33 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I remember admiring her lines and being curious as to her history / details which no one was able to help me with. Is that a Duckling on top of her, or a moulded cabin top?

Looks very like a Fairey Duckling to me. The smallest of a wonderful range of autoclave finished boats covering sailing dinghies to offshore power boat racers, with the Alalanta cruising yacht range stuck in the middle. My favourite was the Albacore from the pen of Uffa Fox, as indeed was the Duckling. Had a holiday in the South of France on an Atalanta before we had children, great holiday but very hot down below. We sailed from La Lavandou to Ile du Levant, Port Cros and Ile d'Hyeres. Back then that coast was absolute magic. Brings a tear to the eye thinking of us so young with not a care in the World

• Like 2

Like many others I regarded Charles Stock as a friend, he of Shoal Waters fame. He sailed a modified Fairy Falcon hull which I greatly admired. I was to buy a Falcon which had been raced hard for a year or two before being near abandoned as no competitive fleets developed. I bought her for not much with the intention of doing as Charles had, only that never happened. In honesty I really don't know how anyone could have regarded her as a racing dinghy, especially when compared with the Firefly and Albacore. As a cruising dinghy the Fairy Jollyboat was and still is a far finer choice so I never really understood the market that Fairy was after with the Falcon. I suitably tarted my boat up before sailing her as far as a Dinghy Cruising Association meet at Buckler's Hard where, after a lethargic sail along the coast from Bosham, I was glad to sell her on. I received enough to buy a half decent engagement ring so I too have good reason to thank Fairy Marine!

• Like 2