Norwich Yacht Station Closed In Winter

Thiswan

I'm having a week on the southern Rivers in March next year and had thought of stopping off at Norwich Yacht Station  but I now understand your not allowed to moor during the winter months.

I wasn't expecting it to be manned or anything but it seems odd that you can't just moor for an hour or so.

I know we could moor outside the city but it would be a bit difficult getting in as we have a dog.travelling with us. my fault for being a cheapskate and going out of season I suppose.

Yes, thanks I thought it strange can't imagine it with no boats.

My daughter and I moored overnight a number of years back and my daughter woke me in the early hours  "There's a gang of Girls on the boat Dad " so there was on the roof! by the time I got outside they'd gone (Thank goodness what could I have done?)They'd thrown the lifebelt into the water and pinched the mop which was kindly replaced with a spare from the attendant the next morning. thankfully the belt was still attached!

No, I'll stick to the day in future. sure we'll make the best of it next March whatever.:default_biggrin:

It's like Yarmouth, no one can stop you. They are just covering their backs as it's not 'personed'

I've often seen boats there in winter. They would probably lock the gates but I think there is still space above the upstream one and it's easy enough to get through the railings on Riverside Road. I can't see there would a problem during the day particularly. I'll be there in the not too distant so I'll have a look. 

• Thanks 1

We moored at Norwich yacht station overnight a couple of years ago, near the bus stop on Riverside Road. Very, err, educational, still mentally scarred by what was overheard being discussed by the good people of Norwich when waiting the arrival of the next bus...

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Thiswan said:

I know we could moor outside the city but it would be a bit difficult getting in as we have a dog.travelling with us. my fault for being a cheapskate and going out of season I suppose.

If you moor in the Commissioners' cut, walk over the old railway footbridge up to the traffic lights, there are lots of buses which will take you into the city centre in less than 10 minutes. Same thing for Thorpe river green if your boat will go under the bridge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

If you moor in the Commissioners' cut, walk over the old railway footbridge up to the traffic lights, there are lots of buses which will take you into the city centre in less than 10 minutes. Same thing for Thorpe river green if your boat will go under the bridge.

Plus there is a decent curry house just up the road for on the way back to the boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thiswan said:

I now understand your not allowed to moor during the winter months.

The official BA blurb is 

"These are staffed daily from 8.00am to 8.00pm from the Saturday before Easter until the first week of November. We also have a quay attendant at Reedham Quay from 9am to 6pm during those months. Our Yacht Stations are closed outside of this period and so mooring is prohibited in the winter period."

Never a stickler for rules I'll be mooring up at Norwich Yacht Station sometime this next week or two. If I'm still around the forum after that talking my usual utter nonsense, you can take it as a sign that I haven't been given a custodial sentence and I got away with it :default_biggrin:

28 minutes ago, Cal said:

Plus there is a decent curry house just up the road for on the way back to the boat.

We were in the Rushcutters last Autumn and they had just come under new management. We had a very nice evening meal and a free overnight mooring. The curry house is the old Red Lion pub, which is on the Yarmouth Rd but right at the traffic lights, not left. Only a short walk from the cut.

100_3499.thumb.jpg.7b02e94e758d48dc306c1eb5fb0de191.jpg

The Rushcutters moorings.