Hoveton Little Broad

riverman

Has anybody got any idea of the 'usual' water depth on hoveton little broad?

I have been invited to take part in the 70th anniversary floatilla, however the vessel I will be using carries 3ft+ underwater. Slightly concerned I'll carry enough momentum to get on the broad, and then just beach myself. 

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

I can confirm avoiding the areas mentioned above you'll have no problem, White boats, Rebels, Reedlings, Yeoman, many sailing cruisers and a hoard of Dinghies, race around on the broad. All with keels from 2ft 9 inches to 4 ft., The top surface of the mud is very soft, and the worst you'll do is leave a trail of muddy water..

This year Horning Sailing club will race on Black Horse broad on the following dates.,

Apr 21, May 26,

Jun 16, 22-23 Jun, 30 Jun,

Jul 6,-7, Jul 14, Jul 21,

3-4 Aug, 18 Aug, 31Aug-1 Sep,

15 Sep, 21-22 Sep, 29 Sep,

12-13 Oct.

The club would be happy if you wished to visit the broad during sailing, but would prefer it if you keep to round the edges (avoiding the shallow bits mentioned above). It's easier for visitors and them, they have had the odd boat drop their mudweight in the middle of the broad and get very concerned when a huge fleet of boats get close both sides to pass....

Single day sailing is normally about 10:00 till 16:00, two day sailing normally starts lunch time on the Saturday, and 10:00 to 16:00 Sunday..

if you wish to stop and watch then motorboats normally go to the windward end of the broad and drop the mud weight..

It's a nice quiet place to mud weight overnight..

46 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

So Mr Q sir, If I have this right...

You want visiting motor boats to go where the wind is, leaving the area where there is no wind free for those using boats powered by the wind.

And you flappy owners wonder why we lot find you confusing !!!  

Perhaps they just prefer not to be downwind of us “stinkies”

• Haha 1

Actually what the stinkies do is moor at the upwind end of the  broad under the trees, leaving the open broad with more wind for the flappy things.

This has the advantage for most stinkies is they can sit in the back and watch us go round in every decreasing circles while you sup your G+T...

Also being under the trees wind shadow you have less chance of dragging your mud weight across the broad..

• Like 3

16 hours ago, stumpy said:

I find calling "Starboard!" in a clear carrying,slightly plummy voice quite entertaining.

Wouldn't work at Horning, we're a self help club, we'd just suppose you were an intruder from Worxham... that would make you a target...

• Haha 1