Could A Grp Boat Ever Be Considered "classic"?

Wyndham

Once moored in wells next the sea in my old early 70's RLM31 beside another occasional forumite in his 1966 Freeman 30 we got enough comments among the raggies and gin palaces to say yes GRP can certainly be considered as classics.

We had both come from the Gt.ouse via kings lynn at the time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ray said:

Not sure if she really counts as a Classic but definitely my pride and joy :default_biggrin:

Dakota 1st Pic.jpg

A beauty Ray.

I was wandering around at the weekend and admiring this.

Picture from Horning.org

It was absolutely stunning.

img.jpg.03ebdf60a7ccafbdf724de97921bf480.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lulu said:

We are trying to keep our Broom Skipper as original as possible, even the 1970's light fittings are staying.  The original fridge sadly is going to have to go as we cant get it to work. 

We're the same Lulu but some things just have to change. We have so far resisted the temptation to change all the light fittings to LED

On 09/04/2019 at 08:56, Wyndham said:

A beauty Ray.

I was wandering around at the weekend and admiring this.

Picture from Horning.org

It was absolutely stunning.

img.jpg.03ebdf60a7ccafbdf724de97921bf480.jpg

Look what's just come up for sale.

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/ernest-collins-35/

I remember it been for sale in 2004 i think it was, my dream boat, and still is.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 09:51, Vaughan said:

How about the Freeman 22?

I suspect the Freeman will fall into the same sort of classification as Dawncraft and Normans as a classic of the rivers and canals, especially at entry level Vaughan. Some Normans/Callumcraft are now 60 years old!

On 02/04/2019 at 10:19, oldgregg said:

That's a bit harsh?

It genuinely is a thing and I think the OP is basically asking why is it that newer Broads boaters have become scared of Breydon. He's not saying they're wimps - More that a number of factors have made people wary of it and exploring why that is.

On 09/04/2019 at 09:08, Wyndham said:

We're the same Lulu but some things just have to change. We have so far resisted the temptation to change all the light fittings to LED

We took the bulbs out of the original light fittings on our boat and replaced them with LED panels or, in the case of the berth lights, direct LED replacement bulbs.  No difference in external appearance, little difference in light output or quality but with much less drain on the batteries. 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2019 at 09:08, Wyndham said:

Old fittings can be a bit brittle from their age and the heat of the old incandescent bulbs which can make conversion a bit of a pain, but once done it makes a huge difference to the boat in terms of light and power consumption.

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

We took the bulbs out of the original light fittings on our boat and replaced them with LED panels or, in the case of the berth lights, direct LED replacement bulbs.  No difference in external appearance, little difference in light output or quality but with much less drain on the batteries. 

Not sure what an LED Panel is SteveO

57 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Old fittings can be a bit brittle from their age and the heat of the old incandescent bulbs which can make conversion a bit of a pain, but once done it makes a huge difference to the boat in terms of light and power consumption.

You are right and a couple of the light fitting covers have cracked a little.

We haven't found a direct led replacement for the fluorescent tubes in our fittings, about 24" long.

We could replace them all with new led fittings to save power but that's not cheap and we could probably add another battery for a similar price. Anyway, despite them taking a short time to warm up the old fluorescents do have a comfy feel.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:57, Pumpmedic said:

http://www.bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/

Wyndham, don`t know if you`ve heard of or tried these people.

Thanks Pumpy....I  have heard of them and have a lovely 12v led table lamp on the boat after buying an expensive lamp from them, expensive but worth  it if you see what I mean.

It does seem they have the size I need, but £29 each  :default_icon_eek: .....I need 4.....£116  to solve a problem which doesn't really exist.

More carrots Mrs W.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Thanks Pumpy....I  have heard of them and have a lovely 12v led table lamp on the boat after buying an expensive lamp from them, expensive but worth  it if you see what I mean.

It does seem they have the size I need, but £29 each  :default_icon_eek: .....I need 4.....£116  to solve a problem which doesn't really exist.

More carrots Mrs W.

PM me a phone number, I`m going to Crick boat show at the end of May so I`ll see if they are doing a special show price for you.