Sailing

Andrewcook

Here's this question for you Forum Members has many Sailing Boats managed to get under Potter Heigham Bridge going to Hickling Broads and other places on that side due to it being Dredged out over the Years. As to Cruising Boats don't normally get under that Bridge due to High water at times as it stops them from getting back under into the main river Thurne.

Yours

Andrew Cook

Andrew, most broads sailing cruisers will still fit under Potter Heigham bridge, all of Marthams sailing boats do, and I suspect all of hunters sailing boats too. as to the dredging, I believe it has been established previously that dredging above the bridge makes no difference to the access under the bridge, that is a more complex balance of tides, weather and wind direction.

generally the bridge pilots will advise on whether you can get a cruiser under the bridge on that day, and whether the weather wil stop you passing back under the next day.

Hi Andrew, unless I've misunderstood your question then yes many sailing boats do indeed still pass under the bridge due to being able to lower their masts. The 3 Rivers Race goes through Potter Heigham.

The question of dredging seems far more complicated than first glance and I'll let someone who understands it better answer that one.

Some motor cruisers can still pass under the bridge if the the tide and conditions allow but not nearly as often as in the past and indeed there is always some concern about getting back!

Edit: I see Grendel has answered as I type :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Hi Andrew, unless I've misunderstood your question then yes many sailing boats do indeed still pass under the bridge due to being able to lower their masts. The 3 Rivers Race goes through Potter Heigham.

The question of dredging seems far more complicated than first glance and I'll let someone who understands it better answer that one.

Some motor cruisers can still pass under the bridge if the the tide and conditions allow but not nearly as often as in the past and indeed there is always some concern about getting back!

Edit: I see Grendel has answered as I type :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

They were of a different design in the past .

Take a look at these https://www.marthamboats.com/hire/motor-cruisers

Then compare them with these  https://www.marthamboats.com/hire/motor-cruisers

The width of the cabin is the issue with 'arched' bridges like Potter and Wroxham.

55 minutes ago, Poppy said:

They were of a different design in the past .

Take a look at these https://www.marthamboats.com/hire/motor-cruisers

Then compare them with these  https://www.marthamboats.com/hire/motor-cruisers

The width of the cabin is the issue with 'arched' bridges like Potter and Wroxham.

The link is the same for both, nice to see the Jocelyn back in the fleet, anyone fancy hiring it for the meet in August.

I've never come across a sailing boat that can sail on the main rivers, that can't get under Potter, you can always take the mast down. There will besome that can't get past the bridge not because the bridge is too low, But because the water isn't deep  enough, tide permitting you can stand on the bottom under the bridge it's only about 4 ft deep.

This picture fairly well shows the depth of the  river, it's more shallow and a harder bottom under the bridge.

potterbridge_lorry[1].jpg

I've never come across a sailing boat that can sail on the main rivers, that can't get under Potter, you can always take the mast down. There will besome that can't get past the bridge not because the bridge is too low, But because the water isn't deep  enough, tide permitting you can stand on the bottom under the bridge it's only about 4 ft deep.
This picture fairly well shows the depth of the  river, it's more shallow and a harder bottom under the bridge.
211735951_potterbridge_lorry1.jpg.3ef9ee92e27cd6f067782461dfd3b827.jpg
[/
Are there any descendants of the driver willing to take down the rest?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app