Tiny White Metal Fragments In The Oil

Amjams

I had a couple of engineers come over yesterday to assess the engine. I'm beginning to think they might be scammers, there was no agreement for charging for the quote yet they charged me. they took the dipstick out and looked at the oil on the dipstick and said there was white metal in the oil, the initial quote for overhauling the whole engine was £4500. It's a standard old BMC 1.5, I would have thought I can find a reconditioned one for a lot less than that. 

10 minutes ago, Amjams said:

I had a couple of engineers come over yesterday to assess the engine. I'm beginning to think they might be scammers, there was no agreement for charging for the quote yet they charged me. they took the dipstick out and looked at the oil on the dipstick and said there was white metal in the oil, the initial quote for overhauling the whole engine was £4500. It's a standard old BMC 1.5, I would have thought I can find a reconditioned one for a lot less than that. 

A fully rebuilt engine is around £3000. Plus removal and fitting.  What makes you think the engine has problems. 

• Like 2

if you dip the dipstick, get the oil on your fingers and thumb and rub them together, if it feels gritty then you may have metal particles, a magnet on the side of the sump can help stop these floating around in the engine. do you know how many hours it has on it?

23 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

Depends on how long it’s been braking down you might need a crank regrind, what oil pressure do you have.

yes will need to remove the engine to take the sump off.

there are a number of things which make me feel that these guys may not be quite as honest as they should be. I'm told by several people that finding filings in the oil on the dipstick is extremely unlikely and that one should checks with the oil filter which I can do. The quote for overhauling the engine was 4 1/2 thousand pounds and they want to charge me for the quote. I think I need to get somebody else in to check it out

it will be the oil pressure once the engine is warmed up that you want to check, on a recent trip with a marthams hire boat, just after starting the pressure was 70 psi, but after a while it levelled out to about 40 on normal revs, and about 20 on tickover. that was in a boat freshly refurbished.

Hi First step check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge you probably have one fitted with a carpilery pipe to engine, electric ones aren't always accurate, how quickly does oil pressure come to 50lb at 1500 revs does it drop below 15 lb at tick over, never seen white metal specks on dipsticks before condensation yes, metal from bearings drops to bottom of sump and sticks to the glop/mud that is usually there on a old engine.the oil washes any bits from the caps and drops to bottom of sump you then have a screen on oil pickup before it hits the oil pump, then filter then around the engine. as for working on a 1500 bmc they are a doddle, hardest job is heater plugs when sized in head. suggest you ask around for a proper engineer to have a look, it's not unreasonable to pay for this as they have to come out to your mooring.If you can remove the engine and replace it take it to a proper engine refurbisher near where you live or get a exchange one from a reptile firm of rebuilders. John

• Like 1

Oil analysis can help with a diagnosis although it’s better used as part of routine maintenance.  The sample needs to be taken once the oil is up to working temperature, this would mean running the engine under load and could take up to 30mins.  If your engine is that poorly it may not last long enough to heat up!

There are members all over the UK so if we knew where the boat was based someone may be able to recommend a mechanic.

• Like 1