Lapping Hulls

vanessan

Fairly recently we were moored in front of WRC’s Polaris, our stern to their bow. Unusually, I was very conscious of the water lapping against the hull of Polaris, even when the river was still and no boats passing by. I actually like the sound of water lapping against a boat, it’s one of the sounds of the Broads to me. It did, however, make me wonder how it sounded from inside the boat as the lapping was constant. The shape of the bow was different to the norm which I guess caused the problem (for want of a better word). I didn’t have the opportunity to get into conversation with the hirers unfortunately otherwise I would have asked them. Has anyone hired Polaris or experienced anything similar?

Our own boat a Sealine S23, is terrible for water lapping at the bow. It is the shape of the chines that cause the lapping on ours and they are pretty close to the bed so amplified in the midships berth. We have got used too it after 12 years of owning the boat but it used to drive us mad when we first got the boat so can imagine many hirers don't get a great sleep in the bow cabin of a hire boat!

NBD, Ferry Marina and WRC all use those 'hydroflow' hulls for some of their fleet, having all been owned by the Funnell organisation at various points in time.

But yeah, with those channels in the hull you effectively have a massive spray rail and so you get wavelap which of course will be more of an issue than with a Pearl 38, for instance, which has a more conventional low-wash hull with spray rails, which in turn will be noisier than something like a Bounty 40 which doesn't have them.

• Thanks 2

Mine is the same. Nothing worse than going to sleep in silence, to be woken later as the tide has turned! It's absolutely deafening in the front cabin, and not much better amidships. Of course, when mudweighted, there's nothing to be done. Slightest ripple across the Broad and . . . bang, bang, slap, bang slap, bang ......! I did wonder whether some sort of "draught excluder" type thingy, laid around the bow on the water might help. But never got round to trying anything.

6 hours ago, vanessan said:

Fairly recently we were moored in front of WRC’s Polaris, our stern to their bow. Unusually, I was very conscious of the water lapping against the hull of Polaris, even when the river was still and no boats passing by. I actually like the sound of water lapping against a boat, it’s one of the sounds of the Broads to me. It did, however, make me wonder how it sounded from inside the boat as the lapping was constant. The shape of the bow was different to the norm which I guess caused the problem (for want of a better word). I didn’t have the opportunity to get into conversation with the hirers unfortunately otherwise I would have asked them. Has anyone hired Polaris or experienced anything similar?

They moored next to us at Beccles, last week.The only thing we noticed was there heating which seemed to be on most of the time.Also there water outlet was noisy. 

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

They moored next to us at Beccles, last week.The only thing we noticed was there heating which seemed to be on most of the time.Also there water outlet was noisy. 

You probably couldn’t hear the lapping for the heating noise! Sounds as it it’s a rather noisy boat all round.