Jimnothall

I'm still looking at moving to the Broads maybe next year, at present looking at Aquafibre 37 aft cockpit or 42 lowliner also the Alpha craft 42 , has anyone an opinion on which is the better boat.  I was considering a sea boat with a low airdraught but like the idea of large accommodation and economical fuel consumption.  Any comments would be appreciated. . Thanks.

4 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Personal opinion only but avoid the Lowliner.

Agreed.  We had a look around the one Summercraft used to run one year, to see what it was like when we were hiring.  Visibility from the forward steering position was dire, headroom in the saloon (assuming it is a the sharp end) was insufficient, even for my vertically challenged 5’8” and access to the upper helm extremely difficult.  Personally, I didn’t like it, even to hire for a week.
NYA currently are advertising two Aquafibre 42 centre cockpits, which offer spacious accommodation an Alpha 42 Centre Cockpit and also have an Aquafibre 37 sedan.  Richardson’s were marketing a couple of Aquafibre 38 Lowliners, which may still be available and Norfolk Boat Sales have several suitable craft advertised including an Aquafibre 37 Sedan and an Alpha 42 Centre Cockpit.  Finally, Waterside Marine are advertising two Alpha 42’s, a Lowliner and a Centre Cockpit.

Ultimately, the choice is down to your taste and budget.  Perhaps the best thing would be to visit and see what suits best.  They are all ex hire craft, although several have been privately owned for a while and will have seen some alterations since being in a fleet.

Good luck with your search.

Hi Jim Personally i would go for a bathtub with split sliding roof as most practical,and without fixed seating, ie has armchairs,  interia depends on do you want luxury for two, or for four or six family or friends, don't go small and cheap as many do, then have to change after a year to something they really need, try hiring first to find out what you really need rather than what you think you want. better to go up market rather than cheap wreck and doing it up unless you are carpenter or very good d i y, its cheaper in long run to buy all done than cheap and d i y . John

The bigger the boat the higher the toll and mooring fees are and finding suitable moorings for a 42ft boat can be harder than a 37ft boat, that said most of the 42ft craft mentioned have been for sale for awhile so you might get a good deal.

Finding a good solid bathtub takes time but they are out there, bit like finding a good surveyor imho but that`s a different subject.

AF 37 every day over the Lowliner -  but then there will always be someone to advise you otherwise!

Personally I prefer the AF 35 Diamond anyday, but thats a personal view as I have one! You also need to think about your budget but remember, what works for someone, will not work for another!  Thats just life!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Agreed.  We had a look around the one Summercraft used to run one year, to see what it was like when we were hiring.  Visibility from the forward steering position was dire, headroom in the saloon (assuming it is a the sharp end) was insufficient, even for my vertically challenged 5’8” and access to the upper helm extremely difficult.  Personally, I didn’t like it, even to hire for a week.
NYA currently are advertising two Aquafibre 42 centre cockpits, which offer spacious accommodation an Alpha 42 Centre Cockpit and also have an Aquafibre 37 sedan.  Richardson’s were marketing a couple of Aquafibre 38 Lowliners, which may still be available and Norfolk Boat Sales have several suitable craft advertised including an Aquafibre 37 Sedan and an Alpha 42 Centre Cockpit.  Finally, Waterside Marine are advertising two Alpha 42’s, a Lowliner and a Centre Cockpit.

Ultimately, the choice is down to your taste and budget.  Perhaps the best thing would be to visit and see what suits best.  They are all ex hire craft, although several have been privately owned for a while and will have seen some alterations since being in a fleet.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the information on headroom,  i'm 5ft 11" and my boy is 6ft 3".

5 hours ago, annv said:

Hi Jim Personally i would go for a bathtub with split sliding roof as most practical,and without fixed seating, ie has armchairs,  interia depends on do you want luxury for two, or for four or six family or friends, don't go small and cheap as many do, then have to change after a year to something they really need, try hiring first to find out what you really need rather than what you think you want. better to go up market rather than cheap wreck and doing it up unless you are carpenter or very good d i y, its cheaper in long run to buy all done than cheap and d i y . John

Hi John,  I'm fed up with repairing boats as I cannot saw a piece of wood to save my life,  I'm afraid it's got to be in very good condition as a starting point,  

Don't think the Diamond 35 is noted for its lack of headroom - although I cannot recall how tall it is. Do not remember anyone saying its too low either. Cannot have it both ways - has an air draft, or mine does of 6'7" and although not been under Potter, thats due more to the beam rather than height. And I would rather sail north of the bridge!

Heres one

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/aquafibre-35-diamond-benmore-683.asp - although a well used one!

and a very posh one although built by Sheerline

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/sheerline-35-lily-906.asp

Like MM, we have one too. No problem with headroom and I'm 6' tall. You can't stand at the helm due to it's raised position unless you open the sliding roof on that side. Visibility is good from the stand up position and quite reasonable from the sitting position once you get used to it. Headroom inside is pretty good but you do have to duck to go through the door to the front bedroom but headroom is ok once you are through. 

• Like 1