Good, Positive Reading!

JennyMorgan

8 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Genuine question :  why cant they use solid paving or paving slabs ? (or am I missing something obvious here).

There are solid paving slabs outside the cafe. The problem with slabs can be that the filling behind the piling may not be stable thus the slabs themselves might become a trip hazard. The mud or whatever either settles or even washes out behind the piling thus problems can develop. In my view decking provides the best answer,  second to poured concrete behind steel shuttering, horribly expensive though. 

44 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Those crushed concretes strips are certainly not wheelchair or mobility frame friendly. 

I don't use a wheelchair, maybe one day, but I have in the past dragged toddlers in buggies over that stuff, not easy. I am glad of one stick, sometimes two, but even without trying it a frame would probably be an impossibility, even one with wheels. A few more tarmacked footpaths away from the water's edge would be appreciated, as would a few seats.

I applaud any efforts to provide access for the disabled but on the other hand us less than able folk have to bow to our limitations. Mind you, I won't easily give in but I would sometimes appreciate it being easier. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D46 said:

It's easy really that's taken last yr the others within the thread this yr ,, spot the difference :default_jumelles: ..

If you look very carefully :default_jumelles: you will see two different pictures. This year’s appears to have been taken from the end (or start) of the hard walkway, last year’s appears to have been taken from further upstream. Spot the difference.

3 hours ago, RealWindmill said:

Those crushed concretes strips are certainly not wheelchair or mobility frame friendly. 

Genuine question :  why cant they use solid paving or paving slabs ? (or am I missing something obvious here).

Get in touch with Tom, the BA rep on here, and ask him. He did say if you have any issues, he`s here to try and help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

If you look very carefully :default_jumelles: you will see two different pictures. This year’s appears to have been taken from the end (or start) of the hard walkway, last year’s appears to have been taken from further upstream. Spot the difference.

Well yes I can see that obviously but I can't see anything regarding mooring a boat there that's changed , there are still posts on the grass area so no problem mooring nor would it seam any signage saying it's not permitted so I take that as in use .

To class these as new moorings is total folly they exist and in a useable State , ok they are being upgraded but that all it is .

Had they have been additional moorings to the current BA mooring list then I would have given BA credit for that but that's definitely not the case in respect of these moorings .

What's next hardly cross moorings become new moorings when the are revamped and re opened ( currently closed ) , same for half of commissioners cut at Thorpe , BA need to realise new means new , not existing and upgraded .

6 hours ago, D46 said:

To class these as new moorings is total folly

Clarification has been sought, it’s the only way. To class the existing moorings as ‘brand new’ is clearly wrong and I don’t think they would be silly enough to do that - would they???? Maybe, just maybe, there are yet more formal moorings to be worked on. After all, there’s enough free bank there. Watch this space. 😁

9 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Clarification has been sought, it’s the only way. To class the existing moorings as ‘brand new’ is clearly wrong and I don’t think they would be silly enough to do that - would they???? Maybe, just maybe, there are yet more formal moorings to be worked on. After all, there’s enough free bank there. Watch this space. 😁

You would think they wouldn't be that silly but re reading this months briefing they did exactly that , even the words " brand new " were used , it's pretty clear to me from the photos which moorings they are referring to and they already exist , I'm fairly sure BA don't own any other areas of bank in Acle other than these moorings that the purchased a few yrs ago and they didn't purchase them for the sole benifit of moorings , there was clearly an ulterior motive .

One thing I never do is to "watch this space", if I see inaccuracies then I ask questions usually to the authority .

7 hours ago, D46 said:

Well yes I can see that obviously but I can't see anything regarding mooring a boat there that's changed , there are still posts on the grass area so no problem mooring nor would it seam any signage saying it's not permitted so I take that as in use .

To class these as new moorings is total folly they exist and in a useable State , ok they are being upgraded but that all it is .

Had they have been additional moorings to the current BA mooring list then I would have given BA credit for that but that's definitely not the case in respect of these moorings .

What's next hardly cross moorings become new moorings when the are revamped and re opened ( currently closed ) , same for half of commissioners cut at Thorpe , BA need to realise new means new , not existing and upgraded .

The moorings have been extended upstream this is why there are new additional moorings, re crushed concrete didnt they have problems with this when they renovated the Hoveton Viaduct moorings and had to redo them.

Fred

10 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

didnt they have problems with this when they renovated the Hoveton Viaduct moorings and had to redo them.

I think they had to take the ‘crusher’ along and flatten the chunks that were there. That stuff is dangerous let alone not user-friendly. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

The moorings have been extended upstream this is why there are new additional moorings, re crushed concrete didnt they have problems with this when they renovated the Hoveton Viaduct moorings and had to redo them.

Fred

How can they be extended the posts exist as does the capping , I accept the crushed concrete etc is missing but the moorings are there .

And yes they most certainly did have problems at hoveton , the problem being too bigger nuggets of concrete or whatever it is making it very difficult to walk on .

What a load of faff!!!

If I buy a second hand car, it's new to me. I still say I have a new car. This is not misleading, it is not lying, it's the language that most of us use. BUT... when the BA say they have new moorings, it's time to slag 'em off again and go back to the same old same old.

I knew what they meant and I'm stupid. How come every one else is having so much trouble with this?

To clarify, The moorings are new to the BA. They bought them recently.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

What a load of faff!!!

If I buy a second hand car, it's new to me. I still say I have a new car. This is not misleading, it is not lying, it's the language that most of us use. BUT... when the BA say they have new moorings, it's time to slag 'em off again and go back to the same old same old.

I knew what they meant and I'm stupid. How come every one else is having so much trouble with this?

To clarify, The moorings are new to the BA. They bought them recently.

Bull poo , bought them recently ?? Like at least 2 yrs ago , they were new to them at the time of purchase not 2 yrs later otherwise other moorings would be new , besides the words used were " brand new " that to anyone signifies that they are additional to the existing moorings and that is not the case , nor can they claim they are constructing new moorings on exist land as the capping is there and so are the posts , making it an existing mooring that being upgraded and nothing more .

13 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Get in touch with Tom, the BA rep on here, and ask him. He did say if you have any issues, he`s here to try and help.g

Good suggestion Speed triple.

I thankfully have no personal need to use wheels to access the river banks but for those that do we could enhance the whole experience of visiting the Broads by the provision, as suggested by JM, of hard / tarmac paving alongside suitable moorings where there is room and the landowner allows. 

Even as I write this though l'm realising how expensive this all could be.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Good suggestion Speed triple.

I thankfully have no personal need to use wheels to access the river banks but for those that do we could enhance the whole experience of visiting the Broads by the provision, as suggested by JM, of hard / tarmac paving alongside suitable moorings where there is room and the landowner allows. 

There are places where this has been done, Fleet Dyke and Chedgrave Common to name but two. Both done by local Parish Councils I believe but not 100% sure. 

30 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

There are regretfully very few places around the Broads that provide safe, convenient access and walking provision for the elderly and infirm. As one who is approaching total uselessness my perspectives are changing. Oulton Broad has, thankfully, good provision for those who want to sit or stroll/hobble along besides the Broad.

Trip hazards can be a major problem, as a friend of mine found out recently, and it doesn't take much to capsize the unwary. Oulton Broad's Everitt Park is a wonderful facility, for all ages and abilities.  There are handrails and a wheelchair accessible ramp besides the water,  excellent!

Both observation and personal experience suggests that Acle could provide a popular wander & place to sit and watch the world pass by. The Cafe is there, as is the toilet and nearby road access, a lot going for it. Granted that a tarmac path would cost money, but I would suggest that it would be money much better spent than on pointless, faux BNP signs. A 'blue badge' car park besides the river would be a supremely positive asset, one that might well attract grants or sponsorship. 

• Like 3

Good afternoon everyone,  thank you for your feedback on the briefing.

John is of course directly involved and writes a lot of the briefing, but it is a team effort with quite a few different members of staff adding contributions on their particular areas - many apologies if some of it has been muddled or lost in translation.

I can clarify a few things for you below:

1. There appears to have been a bit of a misunderstanding with the wording on the briefing regarding Peto's Marsh. The Suffolk Wildlife Trust has an ambition to build a raised viewing platform in the vicinity of the mooring so that people on foot can get a 360 degree panoramic view over the marshes, including those who have arrived on boat.

The new pontoon moorings there will provide access to the Carlton Marshes Reserve, the new SWT Visitor Centre and also the Angles Way. They will be located towards the southern end of Oulton Dyke – around TM 50113 92964 on an OS Map. We have a set of pontoons on the other side of the river known as the the 'Dutch Tea Gardens' 24-hour mooring, at TM 50149 93041. The OS website has a handy map - https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/52.47805,1.68220,18

2. Regarding the use of concrete or paving slabs, this surface is unfortunately not ideal at Acle due to subsidence (sinking/tilting) of the path. Sites with these types of paths installed require much more preparation if subsidence does occur and this creates additional ongoing costs, as well as being quite costly in terms of materials and initial installation.

3. On Acle Bridge, I agree that there has been a poor choice of wording there on our part and I think it's possible that some wires may have been crossed when discussing the briefing content internally. I have sought further clarification from our Maintenance Supervisor and will update you as soon as I hear back (they're busy dealing with a lot of fallen trees and other debris today so this may be tomorrow). I believe preliminary works have taken place at Acle and contractors will be starting very soon. We were aiming for Easter but the possibility for weather and operational delays mean the works could encroach on the Easter period.

Again, please accept my apologies for any confusion created as a result of the newsletter. If there's any more genuine questions I am happy to help.

Best,

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

23 hours ago, vanessan said:

There are places where this has been done, Fleet Dyke and Chedgrave Common to name but two. Both done by local Parish Councils I believe but not 100% sure. 

I don't know about Chedgrave Common, but the path along Fleet Dyke was created in 2016, by the Environment Agency. It runs along the top of the flood bank, so the earth is very stable. I am reliably informed (by someone in the business) that it's made of "Type 1 , crushed limestone / crushed concrete , some of it crushed to dust to help bind it together."

Slightly odd, though, that it only runs, from the top of the moorings, downstream to the lower end of the moorings on the bend. The footpath from the top of the moorings to the road is untouched, gets overgrown and very muddy, so there is little, if any, benefit to the village, or people arriving by car. The EA don't own that footpath and, clearly, the owner isn't bothered.

Hi all, an update on this below from our boating news page.

In our most recent monthly newsletter (January 2020) some incorrect information about Acle Bridge was shared regarding works at the site. Please accept our apologies for sharing this incorrect information which arose due to a genuine error.

The latest update is that major sheet piling works along the river frontage are to be carried out at Acle Bridge 24 hour moorings starting at the end of February. Our appointed contractor is in the process of mobilising to site after waiting for water levels to drop to a suitable level. Phase one of major works at the site will be to completely renew 110 metres of sheet piling, plus installing a new mooring path and three electric charging points for boats.

Works are planned to extend for several weeks around and including the Easter holiday period and will involve the moorings, a section of the Weavers Way public footpath, car park and toilet area being closed. Signage and fencing on site will be placed to exclude people from those areas at all times during the construction phase.

There will be a 55 metre section of the mooring left open on the upstream end for boaters to moor to during the works. Footpath access from the mooring will only be available for pedestrians heading towards Oby and Thurne. The Weavers Way public footpath through the construction site will remain closed until project completion. Advance notices on the Weavers Way have been installed.

Works will be closely monitored for progress and the Broads Authority will seek to open any areas of the site as soon as it is safe to do so. To report any issues please contact Broads Control on 01603 756056. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

23 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

In our most recent monthly newsletter (January 2020) some incorrect information about Acle Bridge was shared regarding works at the site. Please accept our apologies for sharing this incorrect information which arose due to a genuine error, etc...

Thank you for the update. Has this been circulated to all the email recipients of the original Broads Briefing, who may well not look at your boating news page, or this forum?

26 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

In our most recent monthly newsletter (January 2020) some incorrect information about Acle Bridge was shared regarding works at the site. Please accept our apologies for sharing this incorrect information which arose due to a genuine error.

The latest update is that major sheet piling works along the river frontage are to be carried out at Acle Bridge 24 hour moorings starting at the end of February. Our appointed contractor is in the process of mobilising to site after waiting for water levels to drop to a suitable level. Phase one of major works at the site will be to completely renew 110 metres of sheet piling, plus installing a new mooring path and three electric charging points for boats.

Works are planned to extend for several weeks around and including the Easter holiday period and will involve the moorings, a section of the Weavers Way public footpath, car park and toilet area being closed. Signage and fencing on site will be placed to exclude people from those areas at all times during the construction phase.

There will be a 55 metre section of the mooring left open on the upstream end for boaters to moor to during the works. Footpath access from the mooring will only be available for pedestrians heading towards Oby and Thurne. The Weavers Way public footpath through the construction site will remain closed until project completion. Advance notices on the Weavers Way have been installed.

Works will be closely monitored for progress and the Broads Authority will seek to open any areas of the site as soon as it is safe to do so. To report any issues please contact Broads Control on 01603 756056. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

Thanks for the update, which I personally don't think it was required, but understand why you felt it necessary in this scrutinised world we now live in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

Thank you for the update. Has this been circulated to all the email recipients of the original Broads Briefing, who may well not look at your boating news page, or this forum?

Hi Paladin,

Not as of yet but I'll see that clarification is included in the next newsletter we send out. It's an error by one of our newer members of staff that has been scrutinised by some people but we wouldn't regard correcting this particular information as a matter of grave urgency that requires the 1,000 or so subscribers being emailed solely for this. Relevant parish councils and businesses will be contacted to inform them of the ongoing works.

We hope you understand and thanks again all for the feedback.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3