Can't Get To Your Boat?

Cockatoo

A lot of people can't get to their boats at the moment and I was thinking (dangerous I know) that it might help if those of us that are on the Broads offered to check boats local to us.

I'll start, I'm in Brundall and happy to go and check any boat in the area for mooring line issues, loose canopies or whatever. Just message me on here or on  Facebook (Steve Dowty)

Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cockatoo said:

A lot of people can't get to their boats at the moment and I was thinking (dangerous I know) that it might help if those of us that are on the Broads offered to check boats local to us.

I'll start, I'm in Brundall and happy to go and check any boat in the area for mooring line issues, loose canopies or whatever. Just message me on here or on  Facebook (Steve Dowty)

Steve

This a great idea and generous of people to offer their services. "Jenny Morgan" offered the same earlier. 

I just had a thought: it would also be a good idea to go thieving so maybe we should all be a bit vigilant around the marinas.

• Like 1

I was just thinking that boats that have dripping stern glands and rely on battery power to operate the bilge pump will the battery have enough power to last until boat next visited solar would do this but if relying on shore power or recharging when visited next with high tides and all those that it might affect should arrange someone to tighten gland nuts to stop leak as this may go on for sometime we don't want any sinkings or water damage above floor boards.John

48 minutes ago, floydraser said:

This a great idea and generous of people to offer their services. "Jenny Morgan" offered the same earlier. 

I just had a thought: it would also be a good idea to go thieving so maybe we should all be a bit vigilant around the marinas.

How can you be vigilant around the marina when you're not going to be there due to a lockdown.

Surely the marina staff who live locally will handle the situation .

I'm wondering just how many boater's now wished the had someone living onboard in their marina ? , For year those that live afloat have been crucified here and other forums , to me that was short sighted and worse but isn't it funny how they when this lockdown happens and it most certainly will , suddenly become the biggest assert security wise? .

21 hours ago, D46 said:

How can you be vigilant around the marina when you're not going to be there due to a lockdown.

Surely the marina staff who live locally will handle the situation .

I'm wondering just how many boater's now wished the had someone living onboard in their marina ? , For year those that live afloat have been crucified here and other forums , to me that was short sighted and worse but isn't it funny how they when this lockdown happens and it most certainly will , suddenly become the biggest assert security wise? .

I don't think there has ever been a problem between  private boat owners and those livaboards who have a marina berth and behave in a responsible manner just the opposite, it is the livaboards that don't play by the rules where people have a problem.

Fred

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

I don't think there has ever been a problem between  private boat owners and those livaboards who have a marina berth and behave in a responsible manner just the opposite, it is the livaboards that don't play by the rules where people have a problem.

Fred

Sorry but do you mean that anyone who Cruise's continually is breaking the rules ? .

Sure some do but equally alot don't .

Btw isn't it required that to live on a boat legally you need a mooring with planning permission in place , just exactly how many marinas have that ? 

Those living afloat in Marina's without permission are equally breaking the rules .

It's totally wrong to state that those who live out in the river through choice are a problem some are done are not .

Remember this now brooms have closed the kiosk fuel and the basic item water is increasing difficult on the yare , and yet the most important thing is seaming taring everyone with the same brush .

Why not have some compassion for those who are operating in very difficult circumstances or is that too much to ask .

• Like 2

I'm sure we all have views on the subject, but now is perhaps not the best time to air them, but to look at practicalities.

Most marinas do have toilet and shower blocks and whether the rules allow liveaboard moorings or not, if there are people staying on their boat long term this overcomes the issue of getting water and full foul tanks.

In London they are looking at trying to get some of the homeless off the streets, for the duration of the crisis, by utilising some of the many empty hotel rooms.

Perhaps a multi agency approach in Broadland needs to be looked at for those who do not have a permanent mooring to secure temporary spare berths for a short period, for someone to approach pubs with an outside toilet and shower block, perhaps even for the delivery of a number of portaloo's to key 24hr moorings, turning a blind eye to over stayers at places like Loddon and Ludham bridge where there are toilet blocks nearby, perhaps designating these moorings for those most in need as a temporary place to stay until the lockdown is over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I'm sure we all have views on the subject, but now is perhaps not the best time to air them, but to look at practicalities.

Most marinas do have toilet and shower blocks and whether the rules allow liveaboard moorings or not, if there are people staying on their boat long term this overcomes the issue of getting water and full foul tanks.

In London they are looking at trying to get some of the homeless off the streets, for the duration of the crisis, by utilising some of the many empty hotel rooms.

Perhaps a multi agency approach in Broadland needs to be looked at for those who do not have a permanent mooring to secure temporary spare berths for a short period, for someone to approach pubs with an outside toilet and shower block, perhaps even for the delivery of a number of portaloo's to key 24hr moorings, turning a blind eye to over stayers at places like Loddon and Ludham bridge where there are toilet blocks nearby, perhaps designating these moorings for those most in need as a temporary place to stay until the lockdown is over.

I wasn't intending sturing up any problems but I objected to the post I quoted for the reasons stated , I've always had the opinion that we shouldn't be interested it blame but instead pull together .

There are a number of moorings with toilets close by and I'm aware of BAs superb idea of getting together a list which will help no end , now is not the time for laying blame we need to help each other as much as we can and BA are working towards that in helping as they can .

• Like 1

Boulters have said they will do pump outs and diesel. They have that an appointment needs to be made in order for this to happen. This is the wording they have used.

Essential (people who live onboard/people already isolating on their boats) pumps outs, diesel and gas bottles are still be available from boulter marine on an appointment only bases please contact us by fb,email or telephone to arrange this.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, D46 said:

Sorry but do you mean that anyone who Cruise's continually is breaking the rules ? .

---------------edit----------------------------------

It's totally wrong to state that those who live out in the river through choice are a problem some are done are not .

I find that a bit of a confusing read?

And I think you're over reacting to Fred's comment. It was just that: a comment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I find that a bit of a confusing read?

And I think you're over reacting to Fred's comment. It was just that: a comment.

One would have thought it obviously that's why I choose to quote it , sorry if I'm a little edgy but this is a very serious situation and Don't see why old battles need re enacting at this time ..the NBN Is in a good position to help here , if it's negative then it will not go down well with other members or guests that are thinking of joining ..we are all in this together regardless of nothing , now is the time to pull together .

4 hours ago, D46 said:

Remember this now brooms have closed the kiosk fuel and the basic item water is increasing difficult on the yare

Have you thought of asking Roger Wood, on Hearts Island? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you called in for a drop of water. I don't know about his pump-out machine though. I hear it has a bit of a dodgy reputation, just at the moment . . . .  :default_coat:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, D46 said:

One would have thought it obviously that's why I choose to quote it , sorry if I'm a little edgy but this is a very serious situation and Don't see why old battles need re enacting at this time ..the NBN Is in a good position to help here , if it's negative then it will not go down well with other members or guests that are thinking of joining ..we are all in this together regardless of nothing , now is the time to pull together .

Absolutely. Now is a good time to remember to type, read, check spelling, wait 10 minutes, read again - post? yes/No. Stay well.:default_icon_kiss:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, D46 said:

Btw isn't it required that to live on a boat legally you need a mooring with planning permission in place , just exactly how many marinas have that ? 

Those living afloat in Marina's without permission are equally breaking the rules .

Remember this now brooms have closed the kiosk fuel and the basic item water is increasing difficult on the yare , and yet the most important thing is seaming taring everyone with the same brush .

Why not have some compassion for those who are operating in very difficult circumstances or is that too much to ask .

Sorry but you have jumped in with both feet again, you brought the subject up I was merely responding to your post and I didnt say all but those that dont, in that context I dont see where compassion comes into it, my statement has nothing to do with current circumstances just an ongoing perseption you have of others.

Fred

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sorry but you have jumped in with both feet again, you brought the subject up I was merely responding to your post and I didnt say all but those that dont, in that context I dont see where compassion comes into it, my statement has nothing to do with current circumstances just an ongoing perseption you have of others.

Fred

Really try reading the post I referred to prior to my first comment, I'm leaving this right here because I can see your interested in making it personal .

How about thinking of everyone not just some i flaming well are .

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Have you thought of asking Roger Wood, on Hearts Island? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you called in for a drop of water. I don't know about his pump-out machine though. I hear it has a bit of a dodgy reputation, just at the moment . . . .  :default_coat:

Roger is a personal friend TBH , I know a fair few that moor there too , so far I've got 2  places  for water both through friendship ..that said thanks Vaughan for that help good to see not everyone is critical 

• Like 1

Not sure if Roger is self isolating at the moment but Rebecca and her mum Ellie who live in the bungalow I'm sure will help. I'm not sure about pumpout but water and possibly gas bottles too as we have an account with Calor. 

Stay safe everyone.

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 2