Surlingham Broad/bargate

MaceSwinger

16 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

All my mudweights have been manual, I have never trusted the electric ones. Winches, well that's a different matter. :-)

That particular Sonata I had lost it's mudweight the first time I brought it up on the winch. First outing of the season and the shackle just let go at the top! I must say I much prefer manual, especially after that. Luckily I had a spare in the back!

We spent the night on Bargate last week and we draw 4 feet so you should not have a problem with depth. As has been said there is quite a bit of weed so we did need to do a bit of weed clearance after we had left by running prop in forward and reverse as has also been mentioned. We did not have to get our bent stick out which is our fall back for clearing the prop.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The biggest hazard is Tolly having a private rave, but he's not got a day off till 11/8 so you will be safe, take beer/rum and he will probably let you join in....:default_biggrin:

It'll only be a one boat rave so don't panic.

I feel I need to meet this Tolly, they seem to share my affinity for rum.

There is also the matter of getting it out again if too deeply embedded in mud ...... Mine weighs 18kg, typical I guess. I can barely lift it out of the anchor locker!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

1 hour ago, Helian said:

There is also the matter of getting it out again if too deeply embedded in mud .....

The deeper the weight  penetrates the better, good suction is the difference between dragging your weight or staying put. 

Pulling it out is a doddle, shorten the rope until it is tight between boat and weight. Make the rope fast, tie it to the cleat, then reverse and pull the weight until the suction is broken.  That's half the battle of retrieving the weight well sorted. 

The other solution is to stand on the front of the boat clutching the rope and looking sweetly helpless. Macho man will soon come along and rescue you!

• Like 1

We have a depth sounder and draw just over 1m but it's the weed that I'm more concerned about.. I don't fancy having to jump in and untangle the stern drive!

I'd still not overnight on the mudweight there

The deeper the weight  penetrates the better, good suction is the difference between dragging your weight or staying put. 
Pulling it out is a doddle, shorten the rope until it is tight between boat and weight. Make the rope fast, tie it to the cleat, then reverse and pull the weight until the suction is broken.  That's half the battle of retrieving the weight well sorted. 
The other solution is to stand on the front of the boat clutching the rope and looking sweetly helpless. Macho man will soon come along and rescue you!
My wife may start getting worried

Just to add, if running the motor in weed keep an eye on your water intake and weed strainer. 
sometimes you won’t know you have a problem until you ask the engine to work hard and that’s when you need it the most and that overheat alarm sounds