Diesel Costs

Hi i am new to this boating lark and have a recent acquisition moored up in Brundall. I have looked at various posts on Google re Diesel costs on the Broads, and costs for Red diesel seem higher than normal petrol station diesel. I always thought red was way cheaper due to lower tax, are my prices correct? In which case can I mix red and petrol station diesel without harming my engines?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

its all the same stuff so you can mix it, currently the situation is under review, but generally diesel sold on the broads will be a 60/40 split between propulsion and heating, diesel for heating is a lower tax duty, diesel for propulsion pays the same duty as the stuff that goes in your car, you will have to sign a form to acknowledge this split for the tax man.

yes generally diesel is more expensive (even for the red stuff) as the yards dont buy in the quantity that petrol stations do, so dont get the discounts, but you do get the convenience of not having to lug large cans of fuel around. but there is a greater price variation across the broads, with some places being markedly cheaper than others.

We did have a thread somewhere that was kept reasonably  up to date with current prices.

• Like 1

Hi Hipperson's at Beccles is £1=20 per lt 60/40 split and it is GTL Diesel from Shell it's made from gas it has a higher cet rating and has no smell and  fame free which means bug free,  and is compatible with all diesel engines. John

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Hipperson's at Beccles is £1=20 per lt 60/40 split and it is GTL Diesel from Shell it's made from gas it has a higher cet rating and has no smell and  fame free which means bug free,  and is compatible with all diesel engines. John

thats where i filled up when i was on Water Rail, 32 litres for a weeks cruising I didnt feel was too bad.

I watched one of the ever informative CaptainsBlogs the other week, I think whilst Robin was filling up Independence during lockdown?

He explained that the yards will have their diesel storage tanks filled up and pay whatever the going rate is at the time. So, assuming the yards all filled up before lockdown at £1.20 a litre, they've still got £1.20 a litre sat in their tanks regardless of the 'actual' price diesel is being sold at down the supermarket etc.

If that makes sense? Probably not, but it does in my head. 

Slight thread drift but just a question out of curiosity as I didn't think it really warranted it's own thread....!

Has anybody had to fill up a hire boat with diesel on a weeks hire? We've had Brinks Duet twice over the last few years and I remember the first time getting £20 or so back on our fuel deposit which was a nice surprise. However, a few years later on the same boat upon return they said we owed them £30 odd for fuel. Granted, I know it all depends on how much cruising you do, against the tide, wind, etc etc but don't think our cruising patterns were massively different between the two trips.

I recall the boatyard saying you'll never run the tanks dry on a weeks hire (hence why there's no fuel gauge on most hire boats?) but I was just curious how close to empty these boats are after a week on hire.

Cheers! 

1 minute ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Did they perhaps change how they charge in the terms & conditions.

Off the top of my head it was £60 or £80 fuel deposit, with whatever you didn't use refunded to you upon return of the boat. Just surprised me when they said I owed them money, instead of the other way round!

Either way, I paid up. I mean, how would you even query it without a fuel gauge :default_biggrin: