To Pay Or Not To Pay That Is The Question

addicted

I've always understood that if a boat is on brokerage then it is exempt from toll duty. Our boat has been on brokerage since September last year but yesterday we received a notice from the BA that we must pay the Toll by Sept. 8th  and provide proof of insurance. Is this right does anyone know?

Carole

I understood it only applied if it lay at a brokers yard unused except for demos. Like at Potter and Hoveton.

One cannot reasonably expect not to pay if an owner continues to use the boat. A bit like my house is up for sale! Do I need to pay my Council Tax!

• Like 1

Can anyone see the rules anywhere? We got "I've always understood" and "I think" and "perhaps" but nothing solid. I've just tried to find reference to toll exemptions and drawn a blank. That's not saying they're not there; I only found about the Winter Layup Tarrif by accident when I rang the BA. Glad I did, it saved me a lot of money!

If there is such an exemption then you should be safe as long as the proof is there that the boat was genuinely up for sale. It could be that a BA inspector called and couldn't see a for sale sign. 

I've always found the BA office staff to be a friendly bunch and easy to deal with. Pleas let us know how it goes.

• Like 2

I accept that I may be out of date on this, but as I have understood it :

If you place your boat for sale with a broker, who invites you to put their boat on their moorings and sell it on an exclusive basis, then the boat does not require a toll while it is moored on their property, on a brokerage basis. That is why brokers have trade plates, so that they can demonstrate boats which are under their brokerage.

If your boat is still on its own mooring somewhere on the Broads, but placed up for sale on one or more agents' lists, that is not the same thing.

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

If you place your boat for sale with a broker, who invites you to put their boat on their moorings

Sorry, I ran out of time to edit!

What I meant to say was : who invites you to put your boat on their moorings.

In other words, in their showrooms.

• Like 1